Indie Book Club discussion

Indie Book Blog > Review theft!!

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
I wake up this morning and check my blog for new comments pending approval. There is one informing me that my review for The Wayfarer King has been posted on another site and claimed by someone else. Now this is not a promotional quote from my review this is my review word for word being used by some other site to entice people to buy the book through their affiliate links.

Should I leave a comment saying if you are going go quote my e tire review word for word at least have the decency to give me credit? Or will that accomplish nothing and I should ignore it?

message 2: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Johns (PJJohns) | 93 comments That is incredibly cheeky of them!

If they are claiming credit for the review, then it might be worth, politely, but forcefully, informing them that whilst it is flattering that they are using your review, could they correctly credit it.

Is the site a review site? If so, then I'd go ahead - they may not know that whoever posted the review did so by stealing yours. If not, then the author may have put it up/requested it to be put up.

message 3: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Actually it is very strange that it is on a site called mommy mania or something. I post reviews enough places they may have never seen my blog, but it's common courtesy to at least credit the person you are getting the reviews from.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Wow, that's incredibly dirty. Who plagiarizes a review? I agree with P.J.'s selection.

message 5: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
I'd say leave a comment on their blog saying, " WTF?"

:). But then again, that's just me. I'd also post the website where this happened and encourage everyone to drop by and leave a comment that pretty much says the same thing. Lol! Yeah, I'm evil that way!

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 150 comments "Mommymatter" appears to be the site. I copied a line of your review and asked Google who's using it. Not only do they not credit you...they credit someone else. Most odd is that they added some text above your review that I don't see in your GR version of the review which may be original text, but then they just snap yours in to lengthen the review.

Makes me wonder how much other info on the site is stolen.

message 7: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I'll go a step further. Here's the link:

http://www.mommymatter.com/the-wayfar...

I found it, I posted, and it tells me that "your comment is awaiting moderation". I'm definitely evil enough to encourage this ('cause this pisses me off), but I would suggest we all visit this site and start leaving comments to be moderated. Polite comments, mind you, but comments never-the-less, and point out that this "review" contains an original review posted by Indiebookblogger and it should either be taken down or else given proper credit.

The more we gripe, the more likely we are to get them to fix the problem.

message 8: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (last edited Nov 04, 2011 09:39AM) (new)

I also left a comment thanking them for using my review to promote an excellent book, but would appreciate acknowledgment as to the actual source.

I didn't know if it was a common thing for reviews to get taken or not, but I certainly wasn't expecting everyone jumping to arms in my defense lol. Thanks very much for respecting my work everyone it's nice to be a part of a supportive community like this.

message 9: by Jim (last edited Nov 04, 2011 09:26AM) (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 150 comments Oh, it gets better. I've started randomly googling other book reviews on that site. They're all stolen. One part of another review was actually a quote from Piers Anthony.

message 10: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I think we should all bombard this site with comments, asking her to give proper credit for the reviews she using.

We don't have to be rude about it (my wife asked me to be nicer!), but if enough of us make a big enough pest of ourselves, maybe she'll do it.

Any way you look at it, plagiarism is not cool.

message 11: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Scott -

"Humping to arms"? :) Damn near spit up my coke!

message 12: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Humping should be jumping lol. That's what I get for typing on my phone while trying to be sneaky at work.

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) | 92 comments Jim wrote: "Oh, it gets better. I've started randomly googling other book reviews on that site. They're all stolen. One part of another review was actually a quote from Piers Anthony."

I read a blog post a while ago about someone who had their reviews stolen, so it does happen. I'd treat it like theft, and tell them if they don't give proper credit, then they should remove the post. Also, spread the word to other reviewers, see if they know something about this site.

message 14: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Yeah, that's what I figure. If I had something on my own blog and later learned it was originally credited to someone else, then I'd simply include the original poster's name, thus saving everyone a headache.

If, however, the blogger chooses to ignore, then they need to start seeing more and more people asking for the post to be taken down or properly credited.

My first instinct is to jump in and start blasting the heck out of them for plagiarizing someone else. But really, I did promise my wife I'd try to be nicer, so we should go for the diplomatic approach first: remove or give credit.

Being nice blows chunks sometimes...

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 150 comments I had to make the same promise to my wife, after I told a friend that their request to maul part of my book was a "damned stupid idea." Nice sucks, sometimes. ;-)

message 16: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

They have no closed comments on that post without allowing any to be visible or any kind of response that I have received. Apparently they dont care enough to respond.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 150 comments So just start hitting up their other reviews. They're all stolen as far as I can tell. Maybe they'll close them all. Heck, if you're really vengeful, file a DMCA takedown order with their webhost.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 150 comments Looks like they host through HostGator, who has a takedown policy. I bet they wouldn't be happy to see their customers stealing things.

http://www.hostgator.com/copyright.shtml

message 19: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I'm not trying to cause them real problems. I do think it's amusing that a site supposedly dedicated to proper parenting is engaging in blatant plagarism. That's what I am going to teach my daughter for sure...

"Zoey eat your veggies and be sure to steal other people's work. That's why they put it there in the first place."

Parent of the year for sure. It's a lock.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 150 comments Amazing what Google finds in under 10 seconds.

"Annette Derry" is the one doing most of the plagiarizing. Could always friend her on Facebook and ask if plagiarism is good parenting. ;-)

message 21: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

She might have closed comments, but... *evil grin*

I found her normal blog. It's here:

http://nettiesdayalmosteveryday.blogs...

I left a comment on there as well. I don't think she checks that often, but I plan on making a pest of myself.

The stinkin' &!(?$#% shouldn't have closed comments on that review. That's the cyber equivalent of a middle finger.

message 22: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Comments have been closed for all the book reviews lol. It seems like it would be easier to just give credit where it's due or remove the review. Neither of those would be difficult. Maybe I should try to get ahold of the other person who is affiliated with the blog and see if she is reasonable. Then again she may be the one shutting it down.

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) | 92 comments Sounds like they don't care they are stealing and figure if they close comments, they will be left to continue as is. Too bad because I just tweeted the link asking if anyone knew anything about the site and said a friend had his review plagiarized there. =D

message 24: by Sheri (new)

Sheri L. (sheri_mcgathy) | 20 comments Coming in late here, but it is copyright theft and plagiarism. Write them and demand it be removed. If you allow this to continue, then what? A DMCA letter should alert them to the potential legal issues they will face. Send it to her ISP provider.

message 25: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I just got an email from the admin saying credit would be given to me. She said the person they had doing the reviews was the one stealing them and they were unaware of the issue.

Thanks for the support everyone!

message 26: by Sheri (new)

Sheri L. (sheri_mcgathy) | 20 comments Good to hear!

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 150 comments Nice! And funny, since their site says it's entirely done by mother and daughter. Wonder who the mysterious reviewer is. :)

message 28: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Nice. Funny, the Facebook comment I left disappeared, too.

*evil grin*

message 29: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Todoroff | 54 comments Left a comment on her Facebook page myself.

*snicker* She writes about responsible parenting... Oh the irony.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 150 comments And she did put in the citation...at the end of the stolen reviews in kind of small print. Niiice. Haven't checked all the other reviews on the site to see if they have citations yet. I'm curious if Piers Anthony's review was cited properly.

message 31: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I don't really see the people who frequent a parenting advice site being all that interested in my book reviews so I don't think I'll see any traffic from it, but I feel better that at least I got credit.

message 32: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

No doubt. I couldn't believe it took as long as it did in order to get some type of reponse out of them.

I posted on their MommyMatter.com website. Naturally, it didn't get approved. I then posted on the lady's personal blog. What a surprise, that vanished, too. Then I posted a message on their Facebook page. Gave them the link to Host Gator's policies page. Then some other people from here also started inquiring. What do you know? You finally get an answer.

Dolts. That clearly didn't take much to simply say, Hey, the following review was originally posted by...

Morons. :) Glad it all worked out, though!

message 33: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Todoroff | 54 comments Ahhhh..... always nice to see a well-delivered, well-deserved smackdown.

message 34: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Anderson | 165 comments I'm so sorry I was MIA from the group for this episode. I'm glad it got resolved, Scott.

Just so you know, I'll be glad to be part of any future angry mobs that the Indie Book Club needs.

Jeff

message 35: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright That is the craziest thing I ever heard! Scott!

message 36: by Joana (new)

Joana (sweetmello7) | 35 comments Me too! hehe....I hate plagiarism!

Jeffery wrote: "I'm so sorry I was MIA from the group for this episode. I'm glad it got resolved, Scott.

Just so you know, I'll be glad to be part of any future angry mobs that the Indie Book Club needs.

Jeff"