Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Just for Fun > How many times you thought, giving a book is best gift you could ever give, why …?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sumeet (new)

Sumeet Mahendra (sumt7) | 2 comments Most of the times I opt for it, as its my domain and I can analyze the person and book which s/he likes very well.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

books are only gifts...or book vouchers
I love getting people into reading by giving them the book I know they will love

message 3: by Bara (new)

Bara (storycollector) | 14 comments I'm not very imaginative when it comes to presents so everytime someone has birthday or something like that I immediately think which book I should buy him/her.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that bookstores are my favourite places and I happen to buy something for me, too, when I'm surrounded by great books. So maybe the giving of books is just an excuse? :)

message 4: by Chris (last edited Nov 04, 2011 10:02AM) (new)

Chris I tend to give books to my parents as gifts. Here are the reasons why:

1. They do enjoy reading
2. They never help me out by even giving me hints as to what they want because if they want something they just go ahead and buy it.
3. The biggest reason is simply because I can generally pick out books I know they'll like very well. Although we don't have the same reading interests, I can go on Amazon and peruse books under their favorite subjects. By reading all the reviews and looking at all the recommendations, I can make a pretty accurate guess as to what would be a great book to give them.
4. I honestly believe there's a book for everyone out there that would interest them.

I like to put a lot of thought into my gifts, and not just hit up a store on Black Friday and see something on sale that maybe they'll like so I'll just give them that. I want to make sure they really enjoy their gifts. A few weeks ago I bought both my step-dad and my mom the books I'm going to give them for Christmas, along with a few other small, non-book items.

message 5: by Jay (new)

Jay I do give a lot of books as gifts, though more to certain people than others. But my first thought is often a book.

I frequently buy for my Dad, I know exactly what he likes. Almost any time I see a book someone will like I will pick it up or make a note to remember it.

message 6: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller I usually only do that for children. You would be surprised how many parents do not purchase books or have even gotten their kid a library card! At the doctors office i work in, the doc and i hand out books to new parents, and kids whose reading level is lower than it should be. (there are tests given at well checks. )

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Chambers (marycha) | 49 comments We all love to read, granparents, parents, and grandchildren. A new book opens up new adventures and hours of pleasure. It could be our introduction to who will be our favorite author.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
When I give gifts, I like to give giftcards for book stores. Everyone can find a book they would like to read and this way they will be sure to get a book they would like rather than me having to worry about picking one out for them.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Joseph wrote: "When I give gifts, I like to give giftcards for book stores. Everyone can find a book they would like to read and this way they will be sure to get a book they would like rather than me having to ..."

Some of my fondest Xmas memories were my Uncle always giving us Barnes & Noble gift cards and some time in the next few days my dad's side of the family would all go to the BN in South Bend to use them. When I was a little kid, that store was the most awesome thing to me, and we'd always spend a few hours there. It appeared gigantic to me, it smelled good, it was fun watching all the people there huddling around all the books, etc. Plus, where I lived with my mom we didn't have a BN nearby, so it seemed extra special when I went when I visited my dad.

message 10: by ErinBeth (last edited Nov 06, 2011 04:28PM) (new)

ErinBeth | 3 comments I like picking out books for people, but the problem is most of my family/friends aren't as into reading as I am, so if I give them a book every year they probably won't read half of them.
So I don't give books that often.

But one thing I have been doing is whenever I'm invited to a baby shower, I include as part of my gift a few of those hard-board infant books. That way, I feel like I am giving the baby his/her very first books. (of course, I do know that the book will be used more as a sucking-toy for baby, but still it is technically a book, so that counts. :-)

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Erin_88888888 wrote: "I like picking out books for people, but the problem is most of my family/friends aren't as into reading as I am, so if I give them a book every year they probably won't read half of them.
So I ..."

Erin, same here. For all newborns I give a collection of Dr. Seuss including Dr. Seuss's ABCs. IMO, all children should be read to from the day they are born and Dr. Seuss is the greatest for bedtime stories since the adults enjoy him as much as the kids.

message 12: by Amber (last edited Nov 08, 2011 12:54PM) (new)

Amber (bluebleeder) | 31 comments I love getting books as gifts and I always try to give them if I know the person I am giving to likes to read. Some of my adult friends and family are not readers, so I avoid it with them. I ALWAYS give books for kids. I give a book with every baby shower gift I give as well. I give my stepson a book for Christmas every year. It is always a book that I loved as a child and I always write a letter inside the cover explaining why I chose the book and why the book is important. I am also a teacher of gifted students. I teach the entire program and I have the same students over and over every year. By the time they graduate, they are very dear to me. I have started giving each of them a copy of "The Little Prince" at graduation and writing a nice little motivational note inside the front cover as well.

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 280 comments I love having books, that someone gave me and wrote a greeting in (especially if they check with me that I'm planning on keeping it before they write in it :-).
My godfather and I will give each other books, that we put a lot of thought into finding, and that means a lot to me.

The good side of my not working in a bookshop anymore, is that people will now give me books for my birthday and christmas.

When my two nieces were growing up, I'd always give them books, and now they have a whole collection of great books they got from me. I think it's a very personal gift, especially if you try and find a real gem that the reciever will love, and not "just" the latest bestseller.

message 14: by Mackenzi (new)

Mackenzi (werewolfmack) | 21 comments I always tell people that when they ask what I want, but I hardly buy books for people anymore. My mom reads but doesn't collect books, and my dad doesn't read much at all. I made an impromptu family book club last spring and had everyone read The Shining with me. My mom finished early because it scared her so much- my dad took two months to get 31 pages in.
My sister I can buy books for, but she'll likely respond with "I probably won't be able to read it this year" which is just discouraging to me.

Perhaps I will start showering my friends with books and see what they do. Most of them don't read either.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary Chambers (marycha) | 49 comments I love having and reading books of all kinds. It is my favorite gift to receive. Most of my family and friends know this about me. Most of threm also like to read. So a book seems like the best gift to give.