http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Jennie > Graphic Novel (2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 43 comments Mod

message 2: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Peck | 20 comments Sentences: The Life of M.F. Grimm by Percy Carey and Ronald Wimberly

This graphic novel is a memoir of rap icon Percy Carey. It shows the dark and violent side of this type of career.

The book could be used to illustrate how someone who gets mixed up in bad social situations doesn't have to stay there, they can turn their life around.

message 3: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Peck | 20 comments The Box Car Children

This book seems much shorter than the original chapter books, It would be interesting to read both versions and compare. There was a lot to tell in the illustrations, you did have to read the pictures to find out more about the characters actions.

I actually used this book with my daughter. She is a very good reader, but reluctant to read chapter books. I had her read it to get her interested in the series, and it worked! She also took an accellerated reader test and passed it. Not sure how I feel about that. does it mean the graphic novel was well written, or AR is questionable? I will encourage her to read more of these however. Reading and comprehending are good regardless of the number of pictures in the book!