The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Sea of Monsters discussion

How do you pronounce "Thalia"?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 427 (427 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Cheyenne My friend an I were talking about this book and Thalia came up. When my friend said her name she said it like Ta-lee-a, but I always thought it was Thai-lee-a. So I want to know what it really is.

Possibilities:
1. Thai-lee-a
2. Ta-lee-a
3. Tai-lee-a
4. Tha-lee-a

Starburst yeah, I say it like that too...

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah i listened to the audio book and the reader pronounced it like #4 Tha- lee- a.

Lavender I pronounce it Ta-lee-a, but I guess it's Tha-lee-a.

Lobna I know a Mexican singer with the same name
and u just ignore The H
Talia , That's how I pronounce it

Chris Yeung i pronounce it Ta-lee-a

Clara Thay-lee-a

Hannah I pronounce the name Tha-Lee-A. I like that better than Talia for some reason.

themikko There are two pronunciations one is Tha-Lee-Ah. But sometimes, when I google Thalia ( the muse) they pronounce it as Tha-Lah-Yah

Sevania Tall-ee-ah

She's named after a muse and that's how you pronounce the muse's name.

Darlene I say Taw-lee-uh

Vivisawesome ta- li- a isn't?

message 13: by Tiani (last edited Nov 17, 2011 10:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tiani I pronounce it Tha-lee-a as i know someone with the same name and that is how you pronounce hers.

Cheyenne Hmmm, Tha-lee-a is how my brother pronounces it and I guess that's how it's suppose to be pronounced. I'm not telling him he was right. :)

Richard We named our daughter Talia (not from the books!) Sometimes it is spelt Thalia. We pronounce it Ta-Lee-a. Some people pronounce it Tar-lee-a or Tar-lee-ar, but we correct them. :)
The reason we spelt it Talia rather than Thalia is because no one on this country would realise the H is silent, despite her being named after the Grace (and the Muse).
Talia is however a hebrew name as well, and means 'dew'.

Dreyst (Alex) Tha-lee-a right?

Cheyenne Yeah I think it is Tha-lee-a, cause Sarah said she listened to the audio book and that's how they ponounce it.

message 18: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Ta-lee-a. Thats how my friend says her name (which is Thalia)

~*Just Slytherin Along w/ The Creatures*~ (Patrick Swayze's lover) its Ta-lee-a i think the h is silent

Cheyenne No, it's Tha-lee-a. Sarah says she listened to the audio book and the reader pronounced it Tha-lee-a. It's in message 4. :)

Hannah There are lots of pronunciations for names... I don't think it matters how you pronounce it. I say Tha-Lee-A, but that's just how I like saying it.

Emily in my mind i pronounce it like tawleeya

C.j.#22 Tal-e-a

Grace I thought it was Taw-lee-a, but one of my friends said it is Thaw-lee-a wait...or did she say Tha-lee-a. I guess will never no.

message 25: by Andrez (last edited Nov 11, 2011 02:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrez thah'-lay-a or tah'-lee-ah (depends on which language I'm talking)

Nolan Keebler I have always pronounced it Thay-la

Ariadna I pronounce it Tha-lee-a.

message 28: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason O'keefe T LEE A

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I always said theel e uu

but im probably wrong ...

message 30: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason O'keefe IDK

Cameron ta lee a

message 32: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason O'keefe yea thats wat i thit but 4got the a after the first t

message 33: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess Cheyenne wrote: "My friend an I were talking about this book and Thalia came up. When my friend said her name she said it like Ta-lee-a, but I always thought it was Thai-lee-a. So I want to know what it really is. ..."

TAL-ee-uh :)
I have friends name Thalia and Talia, and that's how they say it. However, I have heard THAL-ee-uh.

Aurora Thal-ya
That's how I pronounce it.
According to wikipedia, the first letter of her name in Greek is Theta, which is now used as a "th" sound.
But, according to dictionary.com, Thalia can be pronounced "thuh-lie-uh," "they-lee-uh," or "theyl-yuh."

Emily Rose Tal-ee-ah

theres also the muse of comedy named thalia which is also how u pronounce that name :D

Joyce Ta-lee-ah

Lacee it's like Tally but with a iah at the end

message 38: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Thah-lee-ah

Tiani I thought there was only one way to pronounce it...

Isabel i pronounce it kind of like tha(h)-lee-ah, where the a isn't long (which is why i put an h in parenthesis)..
i'll look for a video where rick riordan mentions her...

Isabel Krisley wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU5DNO..."

that's how i pronounce it! :)

message 42: by Andrew (last edited Nov 21, 2011 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrew McNab Cheyenne wrote: "Yeah I think it is Tha-lee-a, cause Sarah said she listened to the audio book and that's how they ponounce it."

I say it like: Thy-la

Tsing Lin I pronounce it like Tha-lee-ah :P i think I'm wrong

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

you can pronounce it Talia too. but Thalia Grace's name is pronounced Tha-lee-yah, because that's how Rick Riordan pronounced it in one of his tour thingamajigs.

message 45: by 8 (new) - rated it 4 stars

8 you can see how to pronounce it it one of the deleted scenes in Percy jackson the movie it is when grover and percy are talking in the truck(lori)on their way to vegas

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

how do they say it?

message 47: by 8 (new) - rated it 4 stars

8 i cant remember
sorrry

Ann-Marie This is how I heard it in my head when I read the book: Thalia = T'al-yuh; Harsh "t" with the "a" making a an "ah" sound with an "l" thrown at the end before the "ia" which comes out as a "yuh" sound.

message 49: by John (new) - added it

John i pronounce it tha-lee-a

little_red_ridding_hood I pronouce it like Tha-lee-a, but I'm not sure if that is right or not... lol

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9