http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Natalie > Historical Fiction and Biography (2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 43 comments Mod

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments Night Flight Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlanic is a biography with beautiful illustrations. It tells the story of Earhart lying across the ocean an the troubles she faced from the storm, to broken gauges, and sleep deprevation. It tells how she landed in a pasture in Ireland and the farmer couldn't believe an American woman was getting out of a flying machine.
I could use this book in my classroom in a couple ways. First, the children are required to do a book report using a biography, so I could direct a learner to this book. Also, we read a story about another pilot and I could use this book o go along with that story.

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments Nellie the Brave by Veda Boyd Jones is in a series of historical fiction books called "Sisters in Time". The year is 1838 and set in Tennessee. Nellie's family is being forced out of their home, they are Cherokee Indians. Nellie and her family are traveling on the Trail of Tears. They are trying to settle in a new part of the country and have a new home. Nellie's story is one of faith, forgiveness, and perseverance.
I think there are some learners in my class that would like to read this book, but I probably wouldn't use it for whole class instruction. I like how it mixes history with a great story of courage and strength.