http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Natalie > Traditional Literature (2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 43 comments Mod

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan is a classic book that I had not read since I was a child. I wanted to re-read this book to remember what I loved about it when I was younger. It is about two children, Anna and Caleb, and their father. The children's mother had passed away when Caleb was born. The father decided to send away for a wife and Sarah, plain and tall had responded and corresponded with the family. Sarah came and brought her cat with her and had some trouble at first, but eventually she was a part of the family.
I would use this classic book as a read aloud for my class. We would have to discuss some of the terms and talk about how it is set in the past and some of the things that are different about then and now.

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by A. Wolf as told to Jon Scieszka was a funny picture book classic about the big, bad wolf's side of the story. He was simply trying to borrow a cup of sugar from his neighbors and when he sneezed great sneezes and blew their houses down, he couldn't let all the good meat go to waste, so he ate them. Poor wolf was sent to jail and never did get to make that cake for his dear granny.
This would be a fun book to use in my class for comparing and contrasting with the original Three Little Pigs story. The learners could even complete a Venn diagram and share it with a partner.