http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Natalie > Your choice (6)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 43 comments Mod

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments Paul and Sebastian by Rene Escudie and translated by Roderick Townley is a cute story about friendship. Sebastian and Paul are neighbors and Sebastian lives in an apartment and Paul lives in a trailer. Their mothers do not want the boys playing together because, according to their mothers, "they aren't our kind of people". The boys had a school trip and it began to rain. They took shelter in a red house with red walls and a red bed. They switched each others jacket and sweater and decided to go to bed because it was too dark to find their way home. A search party found them in the middle of the night and because of the switched clothing Paul's mother took home Sebastian and Sebastian's mother took home Paul. In the morning, after the mothers realized the mistake, they looked out their windows and smiled at one another. The boys and moms became friends and spent time together after that happened.
I would definitely use this book in my classroom as a social story teaching the children about how it doesn't matter where someone lives, but they can always be our friend and even sometime adults have trouble remember that too.

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments I have read several books by Robert Munsch, but Smelly Socks was recommended to me by our school counselor and I recently read it to my class to discuss hygiene and cleanliness. It is a good combination of humor and lesson.
This book is about a girl named Tina who convinced her grandfather to take her across the water to get some new socks. She chooses a pair that are red, yellow, and green and "NNNNNNNNNNNEVER" wants to take them off. They become very smelly and bother people and animals. Her friends finally decided to throw her in the water and scrub her socks with them still on her body. She decided she liked clean socks and wanted a clean shirt to match and the last picture shows Tina being thrown back in the water with the soiled shirt on.

message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments On the Same Day in March by Marilyn Singer is a book that explores the world's weather. It talks about several different places around the world and what is happening in that country on the same day of the year. It compares the differences between parts of the world.
I would like to use this book during social studies in my class when we are talking about different countries. I think the learners have a hard time understanding how different the world is from where we live. This book might bridge that gap for some of them.

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments Cynthia Rylant is a great children's book author and I have read several of her books as read alouds in my class. I came across a beautiful book called In November recently and want to read it to the learners in my classroom this year as a writing prompt. They can talk about what they like to do in November by writing a story or a poem.
In November is about what is happening to the trees, animals, and families (celebrating holidays, spending time with one another, etc.). It is coupled with beautiful illustrations making it a perfect writer's workshop introduction.

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll is an adorable picture book about a little boy who wants a monster under his bed and not just any monster, his monster, Gabe. Gabe decides to go fishing and sends some replacement monsters, but none of them can scare the little boy like Gabe can and he sends the five substitutes away. Gabe comes back and scares the little boy, which is what he wants. They know they are made for one another and the little boy is asleep in no time.
I think this book would be great to use before writer's workshop to show how to use descriptive words and font sizes in text to show meaning. Plus, it's just a really cute story the children would enjoy hearing!

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Messersmith | 20 comments A book that I had in my library that I had never read was Mr. Putter and Tabby Bake the Cake by Cynthia Rylant. This book combines two books that we read in our reading series. I probably wouldn't use this book as a whole group lesson, but it would be good for the children to read on their own if they enjoy the Mr. Putter and Tabby series of books.
It is about Mr. Putter and his fine cat, Tabby. They both loved winter because they could think about their dreams and Christmas. Mr. Putter wanted to bake and airy cake for his neighbor Mrs. Teaberry, but he didn't have any of the supplies or a cookbook and he had never made a cake before. He went to a shop in town and got everything he would need and went home to try it out himself. By the third try, he got it right and it was Christmas morning. Mr. Putter and Tabby took the cake over to Mrs. Teaberry and Mr. Putter fell asleep. After he woke up, they all shared the delicious, airy cake!