readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Zombie Reads Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (new)

Susie Bee Mine (spinningtalesandweavingdreams) This readers group was highly recommended to me by one of it's members. I'd like to read a book about zombies - humorous to start with. Any suggestions?

message 2: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
well, for humorous, there is Jesse Petersen's series, of which there are three: Married with Zombies
Flip this Zombie
Eat Slay Love

there is also My Life As a White Trash Zombie and

The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten

aaaand that's all from the top of my head, but i will let it simmer

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments You might also like Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry for Your...Brains. I didn't love it but some of my friends thought it was pretty great.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 6 comments Zombies vs. Unicorns was fun. Short stories by various YA authors.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth | 6 comments I haven't read it, but Night of the Living Trekkies looks fun, too.

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 16 comments This might be too obvious of a suggestion, but there's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Bee Mine (spinningtalesandweavingdreams) oooooooo good one. I heard that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was excellent. Of course all my friends who love this classic gasped very loudly -- tee hee..

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth | 6 comments I loved Pride and Prejudice, and enjoyed the zombies in the new one. But I'm not a purist in anything.

message 9: by Kirstine (last edited Nov 03, 2011 09:43PM) (new)

Kirstine (kirse) | 17 comments There's Warm Bodies, about a zombie who isn't really into all that eating brain stuff and falls in love with a human. I'm not sure it's humorous as such, but I think it's funny in between. I haven't read it yet myself though.

And World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. A friend recommended this to me. I think it's a collection of small stories, designed to give brief glimpses into the apocalypse. I haven't read this one either, but from the reviews it seems it's humorous at times.

There's also So Now You're a Zombie: A Handbook for the Newly Undead which I found quite funny. A very quick read and works as a sort of sidepart to The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead. Just to have all sides covered.

message 10: by Tamar (new)

Tamar (srvvndthrv) | 1 comments Warm Bodies is really really good--funny and sweet and weird. I would definitely start with this one!

message 11: by Meredith (last edited Nov 03, 2011 09:57PM) (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments What about Breathers? Isn't that supposed to be lighthearted? I haven't read it.

message 12: by karen, future RA queen (new)

yes, breathers is comical. more so than world war z, from my memories of it. but wwz is a better book, overall.

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth | 6 comments I enjoyed Warm Bodies! And it's going to be a movie with the boy from About a Boy (I know he has a name but I never remember it and I don't feel like looking it up at this moment). Also, Isaac Marion looks like a young Paul Rudd, which endears him to me even more than his sweet zombie love story.

message 14: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (hellomynameisbook) | 33 comments I just added this to my to-read list: Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel. It is a zombie story set in Victorian-times (my fave!)

"...Can Cupid’s arrow pierce the hearts of the living and the dead—or rather, the undead? Can a proper young Victorian lady find true love in the arms of a dashing zombie?"

Ew. A Dashing zombie? This is either going to be really dumb, or really great...

message 15: by Jasmine (new)

message 16: by Jasmine (last edited Nov 04, 2011 09:26PM) (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments karen wrote: "yes, breathers is comical. more so than world war z, from my memories of it. but wwz is a better book, overall."

but does max brooks come back the next day to give me presents because I harassed him about when his next book is coming out? I think not.

message 17: by karen, future RA queen (new)

i am just adding some of these titles into html.

Zombies Vs. Unicorns
Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!
Night of the Living Trekkies

but while i am here, Pat the Zombie: A Cruel (Adult) Spoof is wonderful, although by no means a novel.