Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 310 (310 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 03, 2011 04:05PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I just posted about this book in the 'Upcoming & new Releases' thread. Thought maybe I should double up and post here too.

I have my fingers crossed that this author can write with the best of them, because I am tantalised by the storyline. Sounds like an epic historical fiction that is right up my alley. And along the lines of the Robert Low Viking/Oathsworn books (only Hawk Quest is Norman Knights) which appeals to me no end.

Hawk Quest by Robert Lyndon by Robert Lyndon
Hawk Quest

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments You're right, it looks very interesting. Must add it to the to-read list.

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Fingers crossed it lives up to it's 'good looks'. :)

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim Hodkinson (timhodkinson) | 577 comments I started this this morning and so far its a corker. I'll update as I get more into it.

message 5: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Yes, please keep updating us! I want to own Hawk quest bad as it's cover looks cool.

message 6: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak Tim wrote: "I started this this morning and so far its a corker. I'll update as I get more into it."

Does "corker" indicated good, or bad? >8)

ib.

message 7: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Good. :)
Well, better than good. Really good. A ripper or humdinger would also suffice.

message 8: by Tim (last edited Jan 18, 2012 09:37AM) (new)

Tim Hodkinson (timhodkinson) | 577 comments Ireney wrote: "Tim wrote: "I started this this morning and so far its a corker. I'll update as I get more into it."

Does "corker" indicated good, or bad? >8)

ib."

Sorry I mean it is excellent. As I said on another forum:
Its one of those totally captivating reads that (I find) only comes along a maybe once a year (if I'm lucky). The sense of time and place evoked is totally absorbing, the characters are unique and interesting but somehow familiar. I am tempted to compare it to "Lord of the Rings" but I know that doesn't do it justice (and is probably completely inappropriate), but hopefully it conveys the scale and grandeur of it. Pace is great, and its not afraid to meander and take its time in order to more fully convey the characters and the situations they find themselves in. Perhaps "The Religion" The Religion: A Novel (Tannhauser Trilogy, #1) would be a better comparison, now I think about it. Its on that level.
Anyway, I'm really enjoying it.

message 9: by Ireney (last edited Jan 21, 2012 10:27PM) (new)

Ireney Berezniak Tim wrote: "Sorry I mean it is excellent. A..."

Hah hah ... no worries Tim ... I was just "teasing". I guessed that it meant something akin to excellent or really good, but it's not a term that we Canadians use, at least in this part of the country. It sounds like Australian English has more common with proper English, than the Canadian derivative >8)

ib.

message 10: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jan 21, 2012 09:36PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Aussie slang and U.K slang are very similar. :-)

message 11: by Ireney (last edited Jan 21, 2012 10:36PM) (new)

Ireney Berezniak Terri wrote: "Aussie slang and U.K slang are very similar. :-)"

I have a number of British friends -- there is a surprising number of them here in Calgary, apparently escaping the poverty of the old country >8) -- and we often joke about the differences in language and terms. For instance, in Canada we use the term "pants" to refer to the two legged garment we wear over our lower limbs, and fasten at the waist. This, apparently, is quite funny to the Brits, who use the term "pantaloons" to refer to that same type of garment ... or was it "trousers", I can't remember now ... well, it was one of those archaic terms >8P

ib.

message 12: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jan 21, 2012 11:38PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments We say either pants, slacks, dacks, duds OR trousers. That is the beauty of the Aussie slang vocabulary. We have about twenty different names for everything and we use them at whim.
Where are your pants?
Nice slacks!
Did you split your dacks?
Have you seen my good trousers?
Put your duds back on I'm not interested.
;)

message 13: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Hi Chris,
An exhaustive read was it? I did wonder when I first saw the fairly big page count whether the author got a bit carried away or whether every page was important.

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim Hodkinson (timhodkinson) | 577 comments Ireney wrote: "
and we often joke about the differences in language and terms. For instance, in Canada we use the term "pants" to refer to the two legged garment we wear over our lower limbs, and fasten at the waist. This, apparently, is quite funny to the Brits, who use the term "pantaloons" to refer to that same type of garment ... or was it "trousers", I can't remember now ... well, it was one of those archaic terms"

I think the reason they are laughing is because the term "pants" in the british isles refers to the short garments you wear under your trousers, which as we all know, the mere mention of which is completely hilarious :-)

message 15: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments :) Unmentionables are pretty funny.

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim Hodkinson (timhodkinson) | 577 comments Sorry I know this is way off topic, but in terms of Aussie slang, what's an "ocker"? My brother is law has settled in Melbourne but was back home in ireland at christmas there and used the term several times, but didn't explain what it meant.

message 17: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Okka is the term for our slang mostly. It also refers to someone or something that is VERY Aussie.

next time he tries some Okka on you...consult this. In the list it says 'unsophisticated person' but that isn't wholly right.
http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian...

And Lee if you're out there...you may find OS in this list...

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments By the way...your pants/underwear...we call them undies. :)

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Wow, I like how the Normans folder has been taken over by many posts of the different words for smallclothes. And I doubt the Normans even wore any. :)

message 20: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak Hah hah ... at least it hasn't devolved into talk about farts ...

... oh wait, it just did!

ib.

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Oh, way to go.
'Cause we needed to descend to new lows. :)

message 22: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak Sorry, the Normans are a big deal and serious business. No more talk about farts.

ib.

message 23: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments toilet humour. There's always one in a room...*shakes head*

message 24: by Tim (new)

Tim Hodkinson (timhodkinson) | 577 comments Speaking of Normans and toilets, I think I can get things almost back on track by mentioning that in Carrickfergus Castle, (the best preserved Norman castle in Ireland), they have a statue of King John, sitting on the toilet.
You can see a picture at this url: http://livingthehistoryelizabethchadw...

message 25: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Well that is simply hilarious. Nice save!

message 26: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I was delighted to see that my library has bought in 3 copies of Hawk Quest and they have become available this week. That saved me buying it, or asking them to buy it. (I was in the process of doing the latter when I decided to double check to see if they had bought it since the last time I checked).

Those 3 copies have already been taken out and there are 4 reserves waiting for copies to come available, so I jumped on the reserve line.
Will be a month or so before my turn comes up and I have a chance to read it.

message 27: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments The Paladin looks good.

message 28: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments You sure did see one on the wild west.

Here you go....it is down in the 'The Modern Age' folder.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 29: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments I've just seen Sworn Sword: The Bloody Aftermath Of 1066 England's Fate Hangs In The Balance for sale in the Jorvik centre gift shop, of all places. No idea what it's like, GoodReads reviews are suspiciously gushing at the moment.

message 30: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Nice find.... maybe..

Beauty of that one is that there is a google preview, so we can get an idea of whether we like the writing style.

message 31: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "Nice find.... maybe..

Beauty of that one is that there is a google preview, so we can get an idea of whether we like the writing style."

Ah, you're good at this internet stuff!

message 32: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments The best. :) (well..at least I like to tell myself that)

message 33: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments After scanning through the google preview, I have decided that this book, Sworn Sword, may be worth my time. (even though the author looks all of 13).
Sworn Sword The Bloody Aftermath Of 1066 England's Fate Hangs In The Balance by James Aitcheson

message 34: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments That was Sworn Sword...not to be mixed up with the modern marvel that must be..Sword-Sworn...which comes up when I search Sworn Sword on the online bookstore catalogues.

A beauteous cover if ever I've seen one.
Sword-Sworn (Tiger & Del, #6) by Jennifer Roberson

*gag*

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "That was Sworn Sword...not to be mixed up with the modern marvel that must be..Sword-Sworn...which comes up when I search Sworn Sword on the online bookstore catalogues.

A beauteous cover if ever ..."

Eurgh.

Yeah, hard to believe that anyone that old knows what they're doing but I guess there is always the odd genius/precocious twerp.

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments His author pictures doesn't do him any favours. When you work it out he is actually 27. :)

message 37: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "His author pictures doesn't do him any favours. When you work it out he is actually 27. :)"

Young enough for an author.

message 38: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I should think so. lol. :)

message 39: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments An online bookstore over here is having a sale and I decided to buy Sworn Sword The Bloody Aftermath Of 1066 England's Fate Hangs In The Balance by James Aitcheson
Sworn Sword: The Bloody Aftermath Of 1066 England's Fate Hangs In The Balance

Only I got this cover and not that white one.
Sworn Sword 1066 The Aftermath by James Aitcheson

message 40: by M.D. (new)

M.D. Eyre | 22 comments A great 1066 novel by Julian Rathborne

The Last English King by Julian Rathbone

message 41: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Hi Mark,
I have read this one. I mentioned it perhaps in the saxon thread..?? I think it was in that thread. I really enjoyed it, but I recall, my mate Lee didn't think much of it. Seems the ratings are fairly split on it.
I didn't like the way he portrayed William (The Conqueror), I felt he screwed around with that character on purpose. To go against popular opinion and being controversial. i hate authors being intentionally or obviously controversial.

Still, I recommend people try the book, I liked it.

message 42: by M.D. (last edited May 12, 2012 09:27PM) (new)

M.D. Eyre | 22 comments Hi Terri- yes I think Rathbone is one of those writers you either love or hate.
I'm currently reading The Kings of Albion which is his take on The Wars of the Roses seen through the eyes of visitors to England from medieval Burma.
Basically they view the English as a bunch of uncivilised, barbaric nutcases who are only good at one thing-war!
Which is about right...

message 43: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Don't forget your links, mate. :)
Kings of Albion by Julian Rathbone
Kings of Albion

I think, although I enjoyed The Last English King, his rather obvious attempt to be controversial with William the Conqueror, really put me off reading anything more by him. And then also...the sex was needlessly graphic...:/

message 44: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I mean, I am no prude for sure, but sometimes I don't think the graphic sex scenes are that called for. I am not sure it adds to the story. lol.

message 45: by M.D. (new)

M.D. Eyre | 22 comments Yes, some of the sex is pretty gratuitous...

I like his idea though that England was basically ruined by the Norman Conquest and that if Uhtred's Saxon descendents had won the battle of Hastings we would have been much better off!

If only they hadn't had to have fought Stamford Bridge first...

message 46: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments It all comes down to Stamford Bridge doesn't it. What would have happened??
And what would have happened if Harold hadn't 'bought it' when he did.

It sure is something that I have often mused on.

message 47: by M.D. (new)

M.D. Eyre | 22 comments It does- imagine fighting that and then the forced march from York to the south coast-they were knackered but the Normans still had big problems breaking the housecarls- and yes, you're right, Harold being killed was the turning point.

One of the 'big-ifs' of British history-what if Harold had won...?

message 48: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Yes that forced march. Imagine that! Even though they are going to physically fitter than modern day, that is still a big requirement to fight that Stamford Bridge battle , then walk all that way back, then backup again against a fresh heavily armed and mounted army. And yet they were still able to hold ground and may have won if theur King hadn't fallen.
One of the most pivotally important September and October in history or sure.

message 49: by Pradeep (new)

Pradeep Jayatunga (pravan) Anyone read The Golden Warrior by Hope Muntz? Deals with the politics leading to Hastings.

message 50: by Pradeep (new)

Pradeep Jayatunga (pravan) Terri wrote: "It all comes down to Stamford Bridge doesn't it. What would have happened??
And what would have happened if Harold hadn't 'bought it' when he did.

It sure is something that I have often mused on."

What if Harold had taken a break after Stamford Bridge before meeting William?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7