What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > children's book- girl and dog separated. Dog is forced to fight other dogs in stadium. /s

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starry (new)

Starry | 4 comments I read this children's book when I was in elementary school about a girl who has a dog (a sheep dog I think). The girl is taken away to some house where I believe she has to dress and eat like a 'proper lady' because she is thought to be a savage (I don't remember too much about her), other than something about a closet... I know not much to go off.

Her dog (who's name I can't remember) is taken away and made to fight with other dogs in a stadium with people cheering all around. The point is that the dogs injure or kill each other for entertainment. The sheep dog that belonged to the girl was gentle before, but after having new abusive owners and forced to fight, he become wild. They miss each other, we get into the thoughts of both the dog and the girl, and I think the girl is taken to the stadium one day to watch the game, and she sees her (now wild) dog. They reunite in the end.

I can't think of much other than that. For some reason I think 'Irish' as well, maybe the book was set in Ireland? I am not sure.

Anyway thanks in advance if anyone can figure out which book it is.

Does anyone know of this book?

message 2: by Starry (new)

Starry | 4 comments has no one heard of this book? :(

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Starry wrote: "has no one heard of this book? :("

It's been less than a week. Some books take months or even years to find. Some members don't sign in to check that often and may not have seen your post yet, and new members are always joining and checking.

message 4: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 3 comments That sounds like "White Fang" I think. Jack London. But it's a boy. That was the plot if I'm remembering correctly. Definitely think it's a Jack London book.

message 5: by Starry (new)

Starry | 4 comments no that's not the one, I actually haven't read White Fang, I've meant to read it for a while. I have read "Call of the Wild", but that's not it either. I specifically remember the human character being a girl/teen I think. Thanks for your response though.

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 390 comments The Staffordshire Terror, by Patricia Beatty, has this general plot. There is a fairly detailed synopsis here: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re... I saw on a different link that the dog's name is Spook.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Starry, are you still looking for this book?

message 8: by Janet (last edited Oct 14, 2013 06:59PM) (new)

Janet | 80 comments This sounds a lot like Holdfast, by John and Patricia Beatty. It was one of my favorite books when I was about 11, back in the 1970s. It's hard to find now. There's a description here on goodreads, but here's a little more detail: A wild Irish girl named Catriona and her Irish wolfhound are brought to Elizabethan England, where they are separated. She is forced to live like a proper lady, the wolfhound must fight to survive in the bear baiting pits. She calls the dog Magnus, but in the fighting pits he is called Holdfast. She discovers where he is and goes to the bear baiting pits during a fight. She calls his name and he leaps into the audience to be with her. They are reunited, and at the end she walks through Elizabethan London with him, unafraid.

Does that sound like it?

message 9: by Starry (last edited Oct 15, 2013 09:38PM) (new)

Starry | 4 comments Yes that's it! Holdfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Janet. I have been trying to find this for many years now (since before I posted it here). I too read it as a 10/11 year old and was glued to it. I loved the story. After having finally read White Fang, after my original post, I do see resemblances to it.

Thanks Lobstergirl for refreshing this post.
Abigail, I don't know how I did not see your post earlier. I think I forgot how to come back to this section of goodreads after a while, but the author you gave was the right one! Thank you so much Abigail, I just wish I seen your post sooner.

I feel exhilarated to know the name of the book I have been searching for all these years, now I just need to find an actual copy of it haha (maybe I should check the library first).

Thanks everyone!

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet | 80 comments I'm glad that was it! There are a few libraries that still have copies so you could probably get it using interlibrary loan. There are also a few used copies listed on Amazon, as well as a kindle ebook.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Holdfast for the link.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Holdfast (other topics)