The Chestnut King (100 Cupboards, #3) The Chestnut King discussion

Hasn't Henry changed A LOT from the scared boy in the 1st book?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Clara Look at his personality, in the first book he kept throwing up from fright (Which I found REALLY gross!) and then he saved the world basically by himself!!!

Victoria Faith Clara wrote: "Look at his personality, in the first book he kept throwing up from fright (Which I found REALLY gross!) and then he saved the world basically by himself!!!"

There is drastic change but I don't think that he was ever really a "scared boy". Yes, he would be frightened and throw up but that continued straight to the end. Even before the final battle in the last book it says he threw up twice.
Henry was always frightened but he was also always willing to fight, to push his fear aside and stand strong, even in the first book. He never let his fear control him. That I think was the root of his transformation through the books, he went from a boy standing up to play baseball for the first time to a boy standing up to defeat the witch-queen.The change in him was not the abandonment of fear but the filling of his body with the glory of life which burned as brightly in him as his fiery dandelion, allowing him to grow tall and strong, just like the weed. I swooned especially at the epilogue where it described Henry and you could tell his strength had finally shone through to others.

On a side note, I can't believe Henrietta took about one and half books to recognize that Henry had any strength at all. I mean, what was with that? Stupid girl.

Rissa Cpt. Jack Sparrow Is awesome At first, I thought henry was a total wimp, but then I saw how strong he really was.

Rebecca Pierce Henry is probably one of the greatest characters ever. In some ways, yes, he did change a lot. But really, I think rather than changing, he grew. He grew from a little boy to a young man. I don't think he grew to be strong though, I think others, and perhaps even he, grew to realize he was strong. I think he was underestimated and I think he had came to accept that as being an accurate picture of him. He was not viewed as strong or courageous, he did not believe himself to be strong and courageous, but he was. The change was not so much that he learned to be brave, but that he was brave. That can make a huge difference to and in someone. And yes, Henry is often scared, but then, how can you have courage without fear? How can be a young man if no one recognizes you as such? I think Henry's change came from everyone (himself included) seeing him in a true light. Probably the light of a Dandelion.