Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Reading Classic Horror > Help!!...I need classic horror :))

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) | 2 comments I'm new to classic horror...I am of the opinion that something is missing from my reading life! Having gorged myself for years on King...Herbert...Koontz...I now want to be both frightened and educated...so please point me in the direction of some good classic reading horror...oh by the way I am from the UK...Bristol and am an avid reader of horror and crime. I work at the law courts and am a keen runner and cyclist as well as reading every minute I have free...so I look forward to your recommendations....

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Hi Trev! If you've been reading King, especially Salem's Lot, I think you'd like Dracula -- Salem's Lot is King's homage to Stoker.

there are a bunch of lists floating around on this board for classic horror must-reads -- H.P. Lovecraft, M.R. James, and J.Sheridan LeFanu's Carmilla are good places to start, too.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
I'm glad you're interested in classic horror. Please take the time to read our Must Read Classic Horror Lists to find something that appeals to you. A great way to sample new authors are the short stories featured in our Tales to Chill Your Blood folder. Many classic writers were prolific writers of short stories.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
I definitely think Cathy and Martha have made some good suggestions. Also check out our Themes folder. We have different threads for different types of horror subject matter.

I'm a huge fan of MR James, so I'd definitely recommend him. I also loved Dracula and Frankenstein.

Also, if you have the time, check out our Tales to Chill Your Blood short story series. There are some links to online reads of very good stories.

message 5: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 133 comments Hi Trev,

A word of warning as you appear to have read a lot of modern horror; classic horror is usually more restrained and subtle. Often horrific acts are implied rather than explicitly described, requiring your imagination to work harder.

Personally I think that's a good thing.

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) Simon wrote: "Hi Trev,

A word of warning as you appear to have read a lot of modern horror; classic horror is usually more restrained and subtle. Often horrific acts are implied rather than explicitly described..."

Absolutely!

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) | 2 comments ok took the plunge....:) after some soul searching and book synopsis reading I have ordered The Haunting of Hill House and We have always lived in the castle. These two books look superb and I am sure when I read they will remind me of what good horror is all about. Reading is about words and imagination and I can tell that these two moving tales Gothic in nature will make a great impression on me....and I look forward to discussing further with you......

message 8: by Naima (new)

Naima Haviland (naimahaviland) | 19 comments Good choices, both! Shirley Jackson's horror is more psychological than explicit. The Haunting of Hill House is the more traditional horror story of the two. Like the haunting in Henry James' Turn of the Screw, it lets the viewer wonder instead of spoon feeding explanations for the every strange event in the story. Enjoy :)

message 9: by James (new)

James Everington | 53 comments Great choices; I love Shirley Jackson.

As others have said there's lots of great books/stories in the lists in this group; the only one I'd add here which no one else has mentioned yet is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. That's my favourite of all of the well-known early classic horror novels. So well constructed and written.