Pikes Peak Library District discussion

Discussion Questions > What is your "comfort book"?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Walter | 1 comments Mod
We all have that book we can read again and again and always enjoy, one that we pick up when we need a pick-me-up. What's yours?

message 2: by Krista (new)

Krista | 15 comments Pride and Prejudice is usually my go-to book - there is something about "revisiting" the Bennet family that is so comforting! When I need a laugh, I will reread a book by Jen Lancaster, Laurie Notaro, or the first Shopaholic book by Sophie Kinsella.

message 3: by ME (new)

ME (thickethill) | 2 comments Jeremiah wrote: "We all have that book we can read again and again and always enjoy, one that we pick up when we need a pick-me-up. What's yours?"

I have always enjoyed Gift from the Sea by Ann Morrow Lindbergh in every stage of my life.

message 4: by Homefrontgirl (new)

Homefrontgirl | 9 comments My comfort book is A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. I usually re-read it once a year. The voice and pacing are so soothing even though the setting is in Japanese-occupied Malay during WW II. I always tell people it's a novel about war, love, and economics.

Anne of Green Gables would be my second choice.

I agree with Krista though. Anything by Jane Austin is also very comforting.

Great topic!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Pottenger | 3 comments Jane Austen's already been mentioned (Persuasion is my go-to), so my next choice would be the first Harry Potter book. Still gives me warm fuzzies.

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) | 4 comments Mine is Hotel du Lac. I love Anita Brookner, even though her books are rather formulaic.

message 7: by Alfred (new)

Alfred Weber (alfred_weber) I love The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. This is my absolute favorite book and I could read or listen to it every year.

message 8: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Thomas (benjaminthomas) I don't have a comfort book. I've never been a re-reader in general (although I have read a few books more than once) but I can't point to any particular one as a book I return to over and over. I guess I could say that my comfort book is always the next one I'm going to read.

message 9: by Sara Diane (new)

Sara Diane Persuasion or Pride & Prejudice are on the list, but if I'm going for something other than Austen, I tend to turn to On Fortune's Wheel by Cynthia Voigt or A Wrinkle in Time by L'Engle. I think those stories that helped me fall in love with books still provide a warm blanket when I need one!

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1 comments This time of year, I love re-reading Skipping Christmas. I am reminded that holidays are about family and friends, even though the idea to skip it all and go on a cruise is always tempting.

message 11: by Chantal (new)

Chantal LeGendre (chantallegendre) Every year I re-read John Adams by David McCullough. If there was any book that spoke to me so deeply, even changing my life, it was that one.

message 12: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Thomas (benjaminthomas) Chantal wrote: "Every year I re-read John Adams by David McCullough. If there was any book that spoke to me so deeply, even changing my life, it was that one."

That one is on my list to read for this next year. I've been wanting to read it ever since it came out but just never have (although I did watch the mini-series). I hope it has the same appeal for me as it does for you.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Maloney (jenny_maloney) | 3 comments Jeremiah wrote: "We all have that book we can read again and again and always enjoy, one that we pick up when we need a pick-me-up. What's yours?"

Whenever I need inspiration I definitely hit Stephen King's On Writing. But just for reading in general - any Harry Potter book.

message 14: by Chantal (last edited Dec 29, 2011 07:41PM) (new)

Chantal LeGendre (chantallegendre) Benjamin wrote: "Chantal wrote: "Every year I re-read John Adams by David McCullough. If there was any book that spoke to me so deeply, even changing my life, it was that one."

That one is on my list to read for..."

I own the miniseries as well. It was well done. It can't possibly get all the details down, no miniseries can really, but it does get the point across well. There is no better actress to portray Adigal Adams than Laura Linney.. Really well done. I always try to get everyone to read the book and watch the miniseries, I should get a royalty check :)

message 15: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Thomas (benjaminthomas) Chantal, I couldn't agree more about Laura Linney's portrayal of Abigail Adams. We liked her so much we named our new puppy after her; we call her Abby for short. Now that I think about it, I hope that is a complement :)

message 16: by Rod (new)

Rod Summitt | 16 comments Chantal--John Adams has always been my #1 hero and inspiration from American History--I too own McCullough's book and read it often. The mini-series is also frequently seen on my TV. Interesting to know that others share in the admiration for John and Abigail. I admire them philosophically and as a romance writer, I ask myself,- can there be better stores?

Rod Summitt

p.s.--McCullough's Truman is equally good--he's high, maybe #2 on my American heros list

message 17: by Chantal (new)

Chantal LeGendre (chantallegendre) Rod wrote: "Chantal--John Adams has always been my #1 hero and inspiration from American History--I too own McCullough's book and read it often. The mini-series is also frequently seen on my TV. Interesting ..."

Yes, The thing I learned so much for from them is a the hard work ethic and willing to suffer as part of their "duty". Where others would have demanded their own rights, they knew the what they did mattered for the country and generations forever.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Afternoon of an Autocrat almost anything by Norah Lofts can make me feel better. I also read Twilight again when I feel bad.

message 19: by theelfqueen (new)

theelfqueen (scifimama) | 8 comments Anne of Green Gables.

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debkind) | 2 comments The Hobbit and Gone With the Wind.

message 21: by Almira (new)

Almira (volcano_lover) | 7 comments I guess my favorite comfort book is Philip Pullman's "The Golden Compass", although this is not a "light and fuzzy" read, it is one that I so enjoy due to the depth of characters, the flow of the writing, and that the places just come so vividly to life. If you saw the movie, and have never read the book, well, the movie didn't do the story justice. In fact, I read it at least once every year, and have since it first was published. And I have an autographed copy :-)

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments My "comfort" book is The Pact by Jodi Picoult. I use the word comfort loosely because this book is actually quite depressing. I can read this book over and over again and not get tired of it, especially when I need a good cry.

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie (julebug78) | 3 comments One of my "comfort" books is "Friday's Child" by Georgette Heyer. She tells the story in a straight- forward manner, that has a laugh-out-loud under current of sarcastic humor. I also enjoy "Blue Castle" and "Rilla of Ingleside" both by L.M. Montgomery and several of the Williamsburg Novels by Elswyth Thane.

message 24: by Renae (new)

Renae | 3 comments My comfort book is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. It calms me down when I'm restless.

Carissa (Regency Woman) (sparklingangel84) Mine seems to be "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien. I first read it when I was 14 and have had a love affair with it ever since. I love going into worlds that have nothing to do with reality.

message 26: by Casey (new)

Casey (inscriptioveritas) | 4 comments Maybe it's because I was his age when I first read it, but mine is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone! It's a cozy read with just the right amount of good vs evil. :)

message 27: by uosɯɐS (new)

uosɯɐS  (maece) | 3 comments Actually, there are so many good books out there, so much knowledge I still haven't touched, that I hardly EVER re-read any book. However, during my last few years of college, and even for a few years after, I kept going over "The Underground History of American Education" by John Taylor Gatto. I was home-schooled. That book matched my worldview, and helped me to not feel so isolated as I came into the world that most people call 'normal.'

message 28: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Bullock | 1 comments I love to reread Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh every summer. It is full of serene observations on life that are so charming.

message 29: by Anthea (new)

Anthea Carson (antheajane) | 3 comments Pride and Prejudice, Gone with the Wind, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Remembrance of things Past and TS Eliot's book of Practical Cats.

message 30: by ME (new)

ME (thickethill) | 2 comments Gift from the Sea is one of my favorite books too!!

message 31: by Britt (new)

Britt (brittbloom) | 1 comments My comfort book(s) would be anything by Sarah Addison Allen, but particularly her first book, Garden Spells.

message 32: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) I don't reread very often, because there are just so many good books out there that I want to read yet, but I do love the Chronicles of Narnia or Harry Potter for easy reads, although I usually end up feeling like I have to finish the entire series.