Amazon Kindle & Fire discussion

General > Free Borrowing with Amazon Prime!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 04, 2011 07:37AM) (new)

Jennifer | 293 comments Mod
Just saw the announcement that people using Amazon Prime will have a shot at grabbing a free book from a list of 5,000 and growing books for as long as they like.

There's also a nice rundown on the whole Prime program here, for people wondering what it's about:
http://gizmodo.com/5855981/game-over-amazon-prime-is-officially-the-greatest-deal-in-tech

Here's a link to the details: Amazon Kindle Lending Library (books must be accessed from Kindle)

List of books: Amazon Kindle Lending List

Jennifer (random jendsmit) (jendsmit) This is AWESOME! I didn't know this was even available!

message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments I heard a report about this on the radio today. I'll be making use of this.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) I had read that this was coming in the Wall Street Journal a while back so I thought it was probably a reliable rumor. This is exciting. You can get a 1 month free trial of Amazon Prime. With the books and the streaming video, it is almost too good to pass up. I am definitely going to have to break down and order that Fire!!!!

message 5: by Anne-Gigi (last edited Nov 03, 2011 04:20PM) (new)

Anne-Gigi  Chan (pinelakechic) Heard it on the radio today. This is pretty cool! Along with the ebooks from the library, we will have a lot of options! Yeah! 2 more weeks before my Fire arrives!!

message 6: by Anne-Gigi (new)

Anne-Gigi  Chan (pinelakechic) Jan wrote: "I had read that this was coming in the Wall Street Journal a while back so I thought it was probably a reliable rumor. This is exciting. You can get a 1 month free trial of Amazon Prime. With the b..."

FYI, in case you don't know already, you can ony borrow only one book per month. So unless you sign up and pay for Prime, your 1 month free trial will only get your one free book to borrow. But you can still utilize the unlmited free streaming with the membership.

But at $79 a year (an you can share it with up to 4 people in the 'same' household), it is pretty awesome deal!! :)

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jan wrote: "I had read that this was coming in the Wall Street Journal a while back so I thought it was probably a reliable rumor. This is exciting. You can get a 1 month free trial of Amazon Prime. With the b..."

It really is a great deal, Jan. And I agree with Anne-Gigi. Another reason why I am glad I'm getting my Kindle Fire!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 31 comments I like that there are no due dates for the borrowed from Prime books!

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Ann wrote: "I like that there are no due dates for the borrowed from Prime books!"

Agreed!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Ahh, someone posted a link to the list of eligible books, which can be divided by genre to the left: Amazon Kindle Lending List

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Candy wrote: "I love this! I signed right up for my free trial as soon as I heard this yesterday and am now asking for a Kindle Fire for Christmas!"

Good call, Candy! I hope it works out for you!

message 12: by Eric (new)

Eric Almost everything by Max Allan Collins is on the list, which is great, and the Hunger Games series, but nothing else I've seen that I'm interested in. Here's hoping the list grows.

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric Okay. Matterhorn is on the list. I'm gonna hit that.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Eric wrote: "Okay. Matterhorn is on the list. I'm gonna hit that."

Glad you found a few things worthwhile.

I was also reading some speculation that Amazon will be sued over this whole thing by publishing companies and it won't last very long. I hope not!

message 15: by Anne-Gigi (new)

Anne-Gigi  Chan (pinelakechic) Jennifer wrote: "Eric wrote: "Okay. Matterhorn is on the list. I'm gonna hit that."

Glad you found a few things worthwhile.

I was also reading some speculation that Amazon will be sued over this whole thing by p..."

I hope the publishing companies get over themselves. A regular book once printed and bought can be physically lent to unlimited number people or changed hands multiple times via used book sales and book swaps. So I don't understand why they put so much more restrictions on ebooks - once a person has paid the rights to a ecopy, why shouldn't it be treated like a hardcopy?

Maybe I just don't understand the logistics and the legal implications behind all of it. If each ebook comes with a unique serial number where only 1 device can access it at a time, wouldn't each copy of the ebook essentially be the same as a hardcopy of a book?

If I am a private organization that decides to start my own lending library to paying members, the publishing company does not have the right to stop me from lending those books I have purchased out to my members, do they?

I understand that they need to make money but if ebooks are now taking place of physical books, shouldn't they be treated the same?

Oh boy, I am rambling... forgive me! Just want to say my piece. :)

message 16: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments electronic content law is murky. You aren't actually buying a book ... you are buying a limited license to read the book.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (codeimagine) Anne-Gigi wrote: "Jan wrote: "I had read that this was coming in the Wall Street Journal a while back so I thought it was probably a reliable rumor. This is exciting. You can get a 1 month free trial of Amazon Prime..."

Even though you can share, you still have to be the main account user who bought prime to reap the benefits. So, the other 4 would benefit from 2 day free shipping and nothing else.

message 18: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 18 comments I don't think amazon is going to get sued since the only books they are making available are ones where the publisher has agreed to it. They said that for most of the books, they are paying the publishers a flat fee but in some cases they are paying the publishers per book. I see no reason for publishers who have made these deals with amazon to sue. I also don't think the publishers who haven't made deals can sue since amazon isn't making their books part of the program.