Ask Lisa See! discussion

Influence on the Film

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments Hi, I would like to add on to this question, how did you feel about the movie using a modern story to tell your story of Snow Flower and Lily? Do you feel you lost anything having the movie done this way?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa See | 81 comments Mod
Tiffy wrote: "I was wondering if you, as an author, was able to have an influence on the movie of your novel?

ps. the book is fantastic."

I read nearly every version of the script and I told the director and the producers exactly what I thought every step of the way. Sometimes they listened to me; sometimes they didn't.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Sarah wrote: "Hi, I would like to add on to this question, how did you feel about the movie using a modern story to tell your story of Snow Flower and Lily? Do you feel you lost anything having the movie done th..."

A book and a film are two different artworks. As an artist -- in this case a writer -- you turn the book over to another artist -- a director -- and hope that he or she will bring his or her vision to it. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. It's good for everyone to remember that they did nothing to the book. The book is still right there on the shelf.

message 4: by Sharon/ LFrog1386 (last edited Nov 04, 2011 07:34AM) (new)

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments I love the carefully crafted, diplomatic answer. LOL

I think I will go in with the mind-set a few others mentioned; which is to view the film on its own merits. But I have to admit reading the comments regarding the extras and what Wayne Wang said about not being interested in filming it if it had stayed true to the novel was a tip that perhaps Wayne Wang was the wrong person to direct....

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Sharon/ LFrog1386 wrote: "I love the carefully crafted, diplomatic answer. LOL

I think I will go in with the mind-set a few others mentioned; which is to view the film on its own merits. But I have to admit reading the com..."

You know me -- always diplomatic. Sharon, I hadn't realized that the photo was of the two of us. How fun is that???

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments I just dug it out and uploaded it two days ago when I discovered this group-it seemed rather fitting! I really enjoyed meeting you in Madison CT this Spring and was only sorry I had to leave for work; I would have really enjoyed staying and chatting afterward but they had already given me 4 hours off and needed me that night.
But interesting fact: I have recently discovered myself to be jobless (note the sarcasm there) and have now decided to go back to school. I hope, if all goes well, to be a paralegal by next Spring!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Sharon/ LFrog1386 wrote: "I just dug it out and uploaded it two days ago when I discovered this group-it seemed rather fitting! I really enjoyed meeting you in Madison CT this Spring and was only sorry I had to leave for wo..."

Good luck with school!

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments Thank you!