English Mysteries Club discussion

Archive Pre-August 2012 Revival > P. D. James has a new book coming out

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom | 53 comments I see P.D. James has a new book coming out in December. This one will feature characters from Pride and Prejudice.

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 5 comments Just got the UK edition in the mail today... I'll read probably anything PD James chooses to write, even though I'm a bit fed up with Austen mania.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 53 comments Suzanne, I will be curious to see how she handles the Austen part. I don't believe we will get it until December, so I hope you will post your view of it. I wish she would bring Cordelia Grey back.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 5 comments I will post a review here and on LibraryThing; can't stick it on Amazon until the publication date, alas. I've snuck a glimpse inside, and she's very respectful to the tone of the original.

Yes; in fact I should re-read an Unsuitable Job for a Woman sometime next year... I ended up not enjoying it as much as the Dalgliesh books, but then I read it before any of her others, probably back in the early 80s? So, time to revisit!

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina (christinalc) | 20 comments Suzanne wrote: "I will post a review here and on LibraryThing; can't stick it on Amazon until the publication date, alas. I've snuck a glimpse inside, and she's very respectful to the tone of the original.

I'll be anxious to read your review. I love P.D. James. Sometimes I think writers get a little carried away with the Austen phenomenon, but it will be fun to see what P.D. James does with it. I'm hoping for something that is both genteel and gruesome.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 5 comments I may save the book to read over the Thanksgiving weekend -- as a treat! As a Canadian living in NYC, it tends to be a quiet long weekend for me, so having a few great books to read is a fabulous mini-celebration.

message 7: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Ah, the US version isn't out yet. That would explain why I can't find it anywhere. *sigh*

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom | 53 comments I read that the U.S. publicaton date will be December 6.