Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Let's Be for Real

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Celia (new)

Celia I'm looking for an audio book, and what better place to find what I'm looking for than here. Lately, the books I've been reading are so unrealistic, and that's okay for an escape, but really, I'm not going to inheret property from a rich aunt, meet a millionaire (I'm married anyway), come into money in any way. I'm looking for stories where the main character has struggles with money like the rest of us and nothing miraculous is going to happen to get them out of the situation. He or she just has to deal with it. A mystery or thriller would be a bonus.

message 2: by Julie C (new)

Julie C (goldwinger) | 81 comments I don't know about anyone else but when I am reading I want to escape REAL LIFE its too tedious to read about and live real life.

A bit of escapism does wonders to help get through the REAL LIFE sometimes.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments The Goldy Bear mystery series has a lot of real life money talk. First book is Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1) by Diane Mott Davidson Catering to Nobody.

message 4: by Julie C (new)

Julie C (goldwinger) | 81 comments Not for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 5: by Ellen (last edited Nov 04, 2011 10:01PM) (new)

Ellen Librarian (ellenlibrarian) | 67 comments I love Susan Isaacs, though I've always read, not listened to her books. Her heroines are usually comfortable and suburban but they feel real and struggle with problems like getting dumped by their husbands. They're usually suspense and/or mysteries.

Also, when I was feeling down, I read and loved Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down. It's about four people who meet when each decides to jump off a particular building on New Year's Eve. It sounds grim and heavy but it's not at all. It's hilarious and touching and inspiring and each person and their problems seem very authentic. I read it twice, once in book version, once in audio. The audio version is terrific.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 58 comments If you like young adult books at all I recommend you try some realistic fiction authors that are also adult friendly like John Green, Ellen Hopkins, Laura Halse Anderson. They deal with real issues like coming of age, finding love, friendship, a deeper purpose. They also deal with drug addiction, eating disorders and sexual issues. What I love about these authors is that their characters are real, the writing is raw and they can make you laugh or cry. I highly recommend these books to start:
Looking for Alaska by John Green Crank (Crank, #1) by Ellen Hopkins Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

message 7: by SheriC (PM) (new)

SheriC (PM) (shericpm) Julie C wrote: "I don't know about anyone else but when I am reading I want to escape REAL LIFE its too tedious to read about and live real life."

I agree with Julie. Since I tend to prefer horror and fantasy sprinkled with a few classics, I wasn't too surprised when I looked over the 6 years of my Audible subscription and found that I had rated most of the regular fiction books about regular people with 1 or 2 stars. But applying your criteria a little loosely, here are some I really enjoyed:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn the version read by Kate Burton is fantastic, heartbreaking, and hopeful all in one. The Thirteenth Tale is a mystery story inside a story, very entertaining and beautifully performed. The Prince of Tides read by Frank Muller. The story kept my interest, and I'd listen to Frank Muller read almost anything, may he RIP. And although Angela's Ashes is a memoir, it made me laugh and cry, sometimes all at the same time.

message 8: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Librarian (ellenlibrarian) | 67 comments I also loved Townie, a memoir by Andre Dubus III. It's the gritty but hopeful story of the son of a well-known writer who lived with his struggling, divorced mother in a brutal neighborhood.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Are we talking just real books in general here or books with characters with financial issues? If it is just real characters I have some ideas.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaspeechpath) | 14 comments I am listening to Every Last One and it sounds like something you are looking for.
fully 1/2 the book is about every day life-beautifully written. the 2nd half is about every day life after a tragedy.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Nicholson | 40 comments Check out Stephen King's new book, 11-22-63; extremely well-written, great narrator.