Amazon Kindle discussion

Borrow Books from Amazon

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Amazon has just announced that Amazon Prime members can now borrow books directly from Amazon! Here's the announcement:

Dear Customers,

Today we're announcing a new benefit for Kindle owners with an Amazon Prime membership: the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library.

Kindle owners can now choose from thousands of books to borrow for free, including over 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers — as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates. No other e-reader or ebook store offers such a service.

The Kindle Owners’ Lending Library features a wide array of popular titles, including Water for Elephants, Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, and Fast Food Nation – plus award-winning novels such as The Finkler Question, motivational books like The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, biographies and memoirs including Kitchen Confidential, and Pulitzer Prize-winning books like Guns, Germs, and Steel.

We’re adding the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library to Prime membership at no extra cost — Amazon Prime remains just $79 a year, which gives you free two-day shipping on millions of products, plus unlimited instant streaming of almost 13,000 movies and TV shows.

If you’re a Kindle owner with Prime, you can start borrowing books today. If you don’t yet have a Kindle, our all-new Kindle family is available from just $79.

We're working hard to continuously drive even more value for Kindle owners. We hope you enjoy the new library — happy borrowing.

Jeff Bezos
Founder & CEO

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 82 comments Interesting but not compelling. To few books to many limitations for my taste.

When you have multiple family members with kindles on the same account 1 book a month really doesn't cut it. Especially when it becomes unavailable as soon as a new book is checked out the next month.

If they had at least a couple major publishers involved and offered 4+ books a month or unlimited but only a certain number could be checked out at a time it would be much more compelling.

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I saw this announcement this morning. Pretty cool! I have paged through 50 pages (there are 860 as they appear on my Kindle) and have found about 9 books so far I would be interested in. Amazon continuously is moving the ball forward.

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I think it is a start and a very cool thing for a vendor to be offering. I am guessing it will be adjusted as it goes along. I still think one of the best features amazon has is the account sharing feature, which I use with family members and friends -- I get more books that way than from the library or any other method.

message 5: by Mahlon (new)

Mahlon (mahlon32) | 14 comments Does anyone know if there is a way to browse the lending library titles on the Amazon website? I did it through my Kindle as Regina mentioned, but have neither the time , nor the battery power to browse through 860 pages! :)

--Mahlon--

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Haha. I was looking for the same thing as well.

message 7: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 03, 2011 12:28PM) (new)

Jennifer | 30 comments That Jeff Bezos sure is a swell guy! :)

Here's a link to the program details: Amazon Kindle Lending Library

message 8: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I don't see how to access the list from there? I only see the info about it. Am I missing something?

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I do see that while searching on the kindle, you can view categories and then subcategories. You can also do searches.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (mrsworldwidewebb) Nothing on the "website" I have been searching..The only way I see you can see the books is on Kindle...Kinda not fun.LOL

message 11: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Kathy, I agree. Although I find the categories and sub-categories sort option helpful.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 30 comments Ahh, I saw the list of books in the block toward the bottom and thought you could scroll through it. Looks like you do need to be on your Kindle.

message 13: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 55 comments And what happens to author royalties with the lending? Darlene Jones, Author

message 14: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 82 comments According to some of the articles I have seen on this, publishers are getting paid for each book borrowed. In some cases the payment equals the normal sale price of the book.

How this affects royalties to the author is between the author and the publishers.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 29 comments You can browse and search for books on the Amazon website and the Prime Lending titles are clearly noted without having to look for them on your Kindle; but you do have to borrow directly from your Kindle. I have a regular library book on my Kindle right now that will "disappear" when I connect the wireless again, perhaps I should see if it is a Prime Lendable book too! ')

message 16: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 82 comments I found this link on the Amazon discussion forums. It allows you to see all prime eligible books and filter by category (Sci-Fi has 68 for example).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=s...

message 17: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Thanks!!!

message 18: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 11 comments Darlene wrote: "And what happens to author royalties with the lending? Darlene Jones, Author"

Darlene, that is an interesting question. Amazon stated that it would pay the publishers "wholesale", but it hasn't yet been worked out how this works when the publishers opted out of "lending" and are on the 35% agency rate instead of 70%.

Another wrinkle is that many publishers may not have the rights to use e-books to promote the sale of a third party's device.

It's a developing story.

message 19: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 11 comments Rowena wrote: "Darlene wrote: "And what happens to author royalties with the lending? Darlene Jones, Author"

Darlene, that is an interesting question. Amazon stated that it would pay the publishers "wholesale", ..."

Maybe that's why so many of the Prime offerings are advice on getting ripped abs and so forth!

message 20: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett Darlene, I'd like to expand on your question with a question of my own: what happens to author royalties with borrowing a book at a library? Does an author get paid for that? Not being one, I really don't know the answer to it. To a simple reader like myself, it looks like the same concept. Only difference is a library has a due date but you can have an unlimited number of books checked out. The Kindle library has no due date, but only one book at a time.

Is this different?

message 21: by Ginger (new)

Ginger I guess I'll just have to miss out. I'm not going to pay the $79 for an Amazon Prime membership. The only things I've obtained thru them is my Kindle (of course!), books for my Kindle and about 4 CD's in the last 3 or 4 years. Oh well...I was excited for a minute ot two....

message 22: by SubterraneanCatalyst (last edited Nov 06, 2011 05:51AM) (new)

SubterraneanCatalyst (thelazyabsentmindedreviewer) | 16 comments IMO this event rocks. Especially for people that already have Prime, which I do. I use Amazon for subscriptions for stuff already (such as diapers for my baby and baby wipes) and I purchase books from them often and a number of random things throughout the year. Prime membership works for me- particularly around XMAS season and I don't have to pay an arm and a leg in shipping.
So I was able to get Guns, Germs and Steel today off of the Kindle Owner Library.
The only real issue for me is that you cannot do an easy search. I will admit I 'found' this book, which I've been wanting to read for some time now because I saw the book cover on the image on the splash page LOL.
Hey it worked!
I'm sure somewhere somehow someone will compile a list.
I don't care that it's only one per month I almost always have 2-3 other books I'm reading concurrently anyway.
This is a great service. I can say if you already utilize Amazon a lot and have Prime already like I do it's just another nice perk.
I'm using it.

message 23: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 11 comments Elie wrote: "... what happens to author royalties with borrowing a book at a library?"

Elie, I believe that (unless the author donates the book to the library, which sometimes happens), the author receives royalties on the sale.

You may have heard talk about one publisher setting a limit of 26 e-book loans by the library before an e-book has to be re-licensed. Publishers and authors reckon that an average paper library book falls apart or has to be replaced after about 26 loans.

That means, royalties each time the book is replaced.

Also, if a library book is popular, and there is a lot of demand, the library will purchase multiple copies, and the author receives royalties on each sale. Moreover, libraries tend to share information, so if a book is popular in one library, other libraries in the system will also purchase the book.

Libraries usually buy the hardback version, which is more expensive, but more durable. I believe that Libraries purchase through a direct program, so 65% of what a library pays does *not* go straight to a bookstore.

Lending e-books is different, because e-books never deteriorate and perfect copies can be created infinitely. That "creation" ought to be done under a special license with the copyright owner (the author), because when one lends an e-book, there is a certain amount of "duplication and distribution" (which counts as publishing under copyright law.)

message 24: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett Ah. I was wondering what the difference was.

Thank you for explaining

message 25: by Annah (new)

Annah | 1 comments Well, I think any time we can read a book for free, it's a good thing! I've already read one, and have downloaded my second free book from Amazon. Yeah, it's not for 'everyone'. But nothing really is...

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela Muse | 9 comments Just announced Amazon is paying writers $1.70 per borrowed book for December and they are increasing the allocated amount for January to $700,000. My first children's book, Lil Glimmer, had several borrowed books for December so I am pleased with this news!

message 27: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I've been using Prime Lending since it was announced. My only complaint is that I also would like to be able to get more than one book per month!

I'm very glad to hear that there is a royalty arrangement in place.

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 58 comments I agree, stormhawk, it would be nice to be able to borrow more than one per month. Maybe go to one every two weeks, which is the same time you get if you borrow a book from another Kindle. Still, the program is new, so I'm sure they'll do more tweaking on it as time goes on and they get more feedback.

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments This is a nice *extra*. I just borrowed my first book...very pleased to find I could borrow it and didn't have to buy it. I wish there was a better way to view available titles, though.

message 30: by Kasi (new)

Kasi Blake (kcblake) | 12 comments As a writer, I don't think I like it. You have to take your ebook off of other sites and make it exclusive to Amazon. A few of my friends have done it, and they are missing out on sales to Nook, Apple, etc. I went ahead and put a romantic suspense novel up there because I used to write for Harlequin and have a few books sitting on the proverbial shelf that didn't get published, but so far I have sold way more than I have lended out in the library.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grace (LisaGraceBooks) | 21 comments The real perk to Prime is the free shipping. The lending library is just a nice little add-on.
K. C. It's the extra visibilty on all the pages by category and subcategory that most authors are interested in. It's probably helping to push your sales up. Since readers can only borrow one book per month, if they see something they like, they might just click over and buy it.
I enrolled just one book in prime.