Mountain Writers of North Carolina discussion

The New Publishing Models

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by George (new)

George Schlukbier | 16 comments Mountain Writers, I thought since you are mostly published authors with books that celebrate your roots and the Mountains we could discuss Publishing. I think it's really changing and some of the new opportunities should liberate the traditional print, binding and ink costs to create new products like 'singels' and eBooks. But what does that mean for the writer? More money? Not with the current traditional model. So how can writers make more money?

Here's my pitch: Pay writers more of the revenue from 'long tail' sales. Work with them to produce more 'singles' and series. Make sure all their eBooks are formatted for "output neutral" digital devices. Create an ePUB that can be modified for MOBI and KDP This will expand sales to include Amazon,iTunes-Apple, Barnes and Noble, and all of the independents.

What do you think?

message 2: by Sonja (new)

Sonja | 2 comments Mod
Thanks for the input, George. Creation of an ePUB was particularly interesting. I've sent this post to a number of our members and know they will ponder quickly (if you can do that) and reply.

message 3: by Sonja (new)

Sonja | 2 comments Mod
George, would you kindly tell us more about yourself and whether you represent a particular group or company; perhaps what drew you to post your message.

message 4: by George (new)

George Schlukbier | 16 comments Sonja, I joined this book club back in the Spring of this year because I am an avid reader of North Carolina Fiction. Since September, I have started working with a company called BestThinking.com and was brought in to build out an ePUBLICATIONS division for Thinker Media which is our imprint.
So, being somewhat experienced in Publishing- Total Sports Publishing back from 1996-2000. I thought maybe I could help change the model for writers and publishers. So I successfully pitched to the owner here that we should give more to the writer and completely eliminate Book Printing. He agreed. So, now I am re-issuing books out of print plus contracting with Author's to produce singles and series for this new ePUBLICATION marketplace.

So, I decided maybe I should reach out to this small but interesting book club and see how y'all feel about this approach. I am the Publisher for Thinker Media, Inc.