Reading Buddies (Erin Reads) discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
Reading Buddies Discussions > The Woman in White (November 2011)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin (ersiku) | 57 comments Mod
I just started The Woman in White last night. It seems like it will be interesting, though I'm a little intimidated by its length! I'm glad we have an extra week to read it this time around. Who else is planning to read along?

Nadyne | 2 comments I am going to read with you, Erin. I started the day before yesterday but read only 10 pages or so and yesterday I haven't read a thing (it was my birthday, so...).

Virginie | 10 comments I'm back and glad to be able to join you for this reading! I regret having missed last month's reading and plan to read "Middlesex" later. As for "The Woman in White", I started it two nights ago and I am in the middle of the story told by Walter Hartright. I read this book a long time and I'm glad to have this opportunity to read it along, to refresh my memories!

Glad to have you both reading along!

Nadyne, happy belated birthday! I hope you got to do something fun.

Virginie, I hope you get to read Middlesex! I loved it. I'm in the middle of Hartright's story now, too, and I am loving the book so far. It's my first experience with anything by Collins. I'm glad your reread is enjoyable so far!

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita | 15 comments Hi Erin,
I'd definitely like to read this one, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now, so the length of it has me intimidated. I'm going to hold off for now, but may reassess in a week or so and start at that point.

I just finished the first part. I'm loving how well Collins sets up characters -- I felt like I knew Miss Halcombe and Mrs. Vesey, for instance, just after seeing them in action in the story for a few paragraphs.

Alison, thanks so much for posting your link! I just finished Mr. Gilmore's contribution in the first Epoch, so I'll check out your thoughts.

Anyone who posts about The Woman in White somewhere, please feel free to link up here! I've been really busy and wouldn't want to miss anyone's post.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane (janieg) | 4 comments I plan to start this book this weekend. I am not intimidated by long books or the classics and this is one classic I have not read before and want to read. I will be interested in seeing the other readers comments and sharing the experience with you all. I love a good mystery and adore 18th and 19th Century novels.

Nadyne | 2 comments I finished the book yesterday and I am so glad I read it... The story is captivating, the characters are enchanting... I love books as these. You can find my thoughts on the book (without spoilers)from tomorrow 4 p.m. onwards on my blog (carpediemblogger.wordpress.com - The Books of Life).
Thanks for bringing this book to my attention, Erin.

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadyne, I'm happy you enjoyed it! I'm about halfway through and will be posting about the first half tomorrow. You're welcome to stop by and discuss there, too! Spoilers are welcome on Reading Buddies posts (though please warn about them, especially if you're going beyond the scope of my own post). If you do so, please also feel free to link your own post in your comment so that others can find it.

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Discussion post is up:

http://erinreads.com/2011/11/reading-...

I hope you'll stop by and join in!

message 12: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks, Alison! I still have 150 pages to go...must read faster!!