Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I didn't find a discussion thread for this book; maybe it's been discussed in the Stephen King thread.

I read this book last year and loved it (shut up, Gator), and now I'm listening to it on audio. The man reading it is fantastic. I'm halfway through 1922 and if Stephen King could write a tight, gripping, well-edited book like this (and his early ones), I'd still be a big fan. No rambling in these novellas, just great, lean storytelling.

Oh, and my husband who hates audio books because he hates people to "read to him," was so into the story in the car last night he's thinking about reading the book because he wants to know how 1922 ends.

If you haven't read this book, read it. Every single story is wonderful.

message 2: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments What did you expect me to say, Tressa? LOL I'm glad you liked it. I liked it a lot too, although I felt that 1922 was the weakest entry as it went from being a good, tense tale in the beginning to an overwrought, silly supernatural mumbo-jumbo in the end. I know most people think that is the best story, but I've read a ton of King and it was not up to his usual standards, IMO. The rest were lean and mean and quite entertaining.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott | -214 comments I have this but I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I agree about the ending of 1922. If (view spoiler) But I love the way King creates this little dusty slice of rural Americana in the 1920s, it's just deft storytelling. And one can never be reminded too often how one heinous deed can snowball. That's what I loved about Scott Smith's A Simple Plan.

message 5: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments I was liking the rural American aspect of it and the psychological part following the heinous deed but instead of really exploring that it just went off on the silly supernatural road. If it had followed A Simple Plan by showing the serious psychological ramifications, it probably would have been great.

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I totally agree, Gator.

In the story where the man makes a pact with the devil, I totally loved how you steeled yourself for his undoing, but it never happened. Not even sure he learned a lesson or regretted his decision. I hate that man!

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan  (trixiekitten) | 133 comments I like a lot of his short stories, actually just posted something about that today in the Stephen King fans. I saw this at the store but was low on $ so I didn't buy it, but I am deffinately going to eventually. Also, I never read a Simple Plan butI saw the movie & liked that. I love movies/books that show the gradual deterioration in a person's (or peoples) mental/psychological state. Years ago I started writing a story about just that, except I never finished it. I guess my interest just.... deteriorated :)

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Those snowball-effect stories are always gripping to me. Simple Plan movie follows the book nicely, but of course there's most of the meat of the story is in the book. You should read it and Smith's The Ruins one day.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan  (trixiekitten) | 133 comments Holy Macaroni that book looks good. Kind of has that LOST-ish vibe but darker. Plus, I've been in a jungle before and although it was small and on an island and there were people somewhat near by, I can DEFFINATELY imagine what would happen if you stir in some serious creeping evil!

message 10: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Both The Ruins and A Simple Plan are fantastic. Must reads, IMO.

I also loved how the jealous guy in Fair Extension never gets his comeuppance. Sometimes those people walk away feeling great. Good for King in not taking it where you thought it would go or should have gone.

message 11: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I've read it, and I liked it pretty well, but I usually am good to go with anything SK writes. My review's here. My favorite was "A Good Marriage".

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Trixie, definitely read The Ruins. It is fantastic and one of the few books in the past few years I've read twice AND listened to. Gator, if you ever get a chance to listen to it, you'll enjoy it all over again. The reader does a great job (he's a well-known actor but I can never remember his name—he played the dad in Insidious).

I kept waiting and waiting for the pact man's fortunes to change, but they didn't. Loved that!

A Good Marriage is another good one. I kept thinking, Girl, if only your foot hadn't bumped that box...

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments OK, finished 1922 and love that man's voice. He did a marvelous job with every character. I do not like the supernatural part about the rats being controlled by the snood-wearing Arlette. It would have been better had the farmer got his comeuppance by losing his wife, son, cow, and, above all, his precious land. I think King should have matured beyond "the rats are closing in on me" story ending. Didn't he do that decades ago? In a short story?

I'm on Big Driver now. Cannot stand the actor's voice reading this one! She sounds so insipid. Have you ever heard a voice and you can actually see the person smiling through the words? That shouldn't be possible, but it is. Even when Tess is being raped it sounds like the reader is smiling through the part.

I'm just past the part where she's raped and got her pants and shoes back. There were really no surprises in this story for me since I've read so many crime fiction mixed with horror stories similar to this plot.

Can't wait to get to Fair Extension to hear the male reader again. I bet he will do this one up wonderfully.

message 14: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Tressa wrote: "OK, finished 1922 and love that man's voice. He did a marvelous job with every character. I do not like the supernatural part about the rats being controlled by the snood-wearing Arlette. It would ..."

Yeah, as I've said, the supernatural angle ruined it for me. Tressa, you may be thinking of the short story "Graveyard Shift" which involves rats.

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yes, that's the story. It was very enjoyable, but using that same plot device is a little immature for someone writing for as long as King has. That's just my opinion; don't wanna be jumped by any rabid King fans.

Oh, I noticed another device he uses that irks me. That taking a pop slogan and repeating it throughout the story. I hate this! In Big Driver there's a blinking sign that reads something like "you like it and it likes you." Now the female character keeps repeating it at different times.

In Under the Dome it was something like "everyone supports the team." He does this a lot and I just can't stand it. There was one in The Stand but I can't remember it now. Something Larry kept repeating as a mantra.

message 16: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Wow, so many issues with King and you still put his new one on your TBR list. I don't have a problem with using him rats again so long as it's in a different context, which it was here. My problem was that it just didn't fit in this story.

Sometimes those sayings, no matter how silly they may be, just keep coming back up in your mind. Haven't you ever had that happen? And Larry kept repeating "Baby Can You Dig Your Man?" as it was his hit song title.

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Well, obviously I enjoyed Full Dark and even some aspects of UTD. So why is it surprising I may want to peek at his newest one? I haven't totally given up on the man. I've just been reading him since 1982 and have grown weary of some of his writing style.

Actually, no, I don't keep playing sayings over and over and over and over in my head. Maybe if I find myself in a straitjacket one day.

message 18: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments ...sigh...

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Let me have my own opinions, please.

message 20: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Who said you couldn't? That was not the reason for my sigh.

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments What is the reason for your sigh?

message 22: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Nevermind...

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You sound like a woman!

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Hey Gator
Hormones running a little strange today?

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm really curious. I'm not trying to be difficult.

message 26: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Michael wrote: "Hey Gator
Hormones running a little strange today?"

LOL! Men can sigh, too, ya know!

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Don't I know it. Still curious about the sigh. Are you aggravated I don't like this annoying (to me) little writing trick of King's?

message 28: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments No. And I officially retract my sigh.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Great, now I'll never know. Hmph. *crosses arms*

message 30: by Lori Ann (new)

Lori Ann Bonfitto (bonfitto) | 26 comments I am reading the Stand now for the first time. Interestingly enough, he uses the term full dark often. And yet, I haven't seen it in a lot of his recent books. Was also surprised he used shining. Stand was after The Shining, right?

message 31: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Yes, by one year.

message 32: by Tressa (last edited Nov 16, 2011 08:35AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Finished listening to "Big Driver" yesterday. It's a good story, and not too predictable because the things I expected to happen didn't. I don't like the woman's voice AT ALL, so I'm already dreading the last story even though it's one of my favorites.

Can anyone explain why Tess decided to confess on that Stagger Inns employee's answering machine? What a coincidence that the woman had also been raped, and she's not going to go to the police about the triple homicide committed in her town! I just had to roll my eyes at this one.

Found out that the man's voice I like so much is Craig Wasson, the main young actor in Ghost Story and Body Double. That was back in the '80s, so I guess maybe he's in his fifties now. He sounds like a man in his sixties, though.

Just started "Fair Extension" on my way to work and I really enjoyed this story when I read it last year. Looking forward to the humor in it.

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Wasson narrates 11/22/63

message 34: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Hmmm, that's good to know, Michael. I may listen to the story instead of reading it, since I have so many other books to get to.