The Beach The Beach discussion

Can't wait to read this!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan I like Alex Garland LOTS and I really liked this movie when I saw it years ago. For me anyways, "the book is ALWAYS better than the movie," and I look foreward to learning more details about what was going on in this place. As soon as I get some extra $$ I'm gonna hit me up the bookstore :)

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat trixieKitten wrote: "I like Alex Garland LOTS and I really liked this movie when I saw it years ago. For me anyways, "the book is ALWAYS better than the movie," and I look foreward to learning more details about what w..."

In my humble opinion, the book is definitely better than the movie - not that the movie was bad, at all!

message 3: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Kat wrote: "trixieKitten wrote: "I like Alex Garland LOTS and I really liked this movie when I saw it years ago. For me anyways, "the book is ALWAYS better than the movie," and I look foreward to learning more..."

Thanks! I'm sure I'll love it!

message 4: by Angie (last edited Nov 04, 2011 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie I agree with Kat. The movie wasn't bad at all, but the book is much better.

I suppose that in the movie, like in Hollywood nowadays, they wanted to emphasize in the stellar actors and actresses like Leonardo DiCaprio and Tilda Swinton.

Nevertheless, I was really amazed the song Porcelain was included. This is one of my favourtie songs, and this was the first time I really got in the song.

The book can have around 600 pages, but it's easy to follow.

Adrian Brilliant movie but the book is just fantastic.

message 6: by Roy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roy The movie took all that was good in the book....and changed it to soemthing bad....

Charlie Petch I agree with Roy. The worst thing about the movie was that it must have deterred a lot of people from reading this fantastic book

message 8: by Roy (last edited Nov 29, 2012 11:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roy Yes, Cathy... Changing the relationship between Richard and Françoise was a bad decision....and again with him getting together with Sal....
...Also certain parts....Like swimming across to the island....they almost drowned and it was a tense moment in the book...This tells you that to get to the island is tough..and leaving is tough.....
In the film though, the swimming seemed like a bit of fun.....(This is also true of the part when Richard gets lost in the underwater tunnels - described so well in the book and creates a real sense of danger when it comes to leaving the island....Not well presented in the film)

The book made me see Richard as a young, naive but likable character....
In the film he just seems immature, self centered and not very likable...
I read the book years ago ....and it acually made me feel warm...
The film....didn't need to change anything as the book reads as if it were a screne play...
But it changed far too much......Leaving me cold and wondering why they changed the most important aspects of the book; the relationships between the characters and the main character of Richard...

Penny I watched the film shorty after reading the book, and i was disappointed with how much that had been changed. I agree with Roy, the way they changed the character of Richard had a big impact on the way he came across. As far as i can recollect there is only one instance when Richard becomes selfish. However, in this instance i think it shows how the leaders of the group influence everyone around them.