Yoga Folks discussion

General discussions about yoga > Your favorite yoga pose?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 805 comments Mod
I took a great yoga class the other day, and the teacher didn't do a shoulder stand. After the class ended, which was otherwise a really good class, I felt compelled to find a corner and do a quick shoulder stand myself. That made me realize how much I love that pose. The Sanskrit word for it translates to "all members pose," I've been told, and I do feel it balances every part of my body. Plus I love feeling my legs in the air without the tension my body feels in headstand.

I'm wondering what other poses people adore, and why?

Meryl Davids Landau

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 30 comments Thanks for sharing Meryl! Your comments are prompting me to bring inversions like that to classes. Some people feel a well rounded practice includes them and I've shied away from them.
My favorite is Half Moon! My body craves it and I can't really articulate why.
Can we add our least favorite?
I hate doing unsupported lateral flexion of the spine (side bending... Funny that it's called half moon in Bikram Yoga). I feel so vulnerable, like I'm going way off center without support... And I hate that feeling in real life off the mat too!

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin Smith | 42 comments And I don't do a lot of inversions, because my students are mainly made up of seniors and disabled folks. We tend (in my classes) to concentrate on simpler things. As I'm thinking about this, I realize I really don't like a lot of the inversions, although I do enjoy Handstand. And yet . . . again . . . when I'm feeling stressed out, I know that a couple of minutes in a headstand, seeing things from a different perspective, will end up giving me back my joy. I appreciate your comment, Meryl--I'll need to see how I can incorporate inversions better, even if they aren't the challenging ones.

For myself, I second Half Moon (like Kimz). My second favorite is Utthita Trikonasana. I'm thinking that what I like about both of them is reaching toward my roots while looking up at the sky. I like the sense of knowing where I came from and knowing where I'm reaching. I also love a good hip stretch, like Firelog or Dragonfly Forward Bend.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Great thread! I really enjoy the cat pose. I find that this pose really helps me get my breathing under control and in sync with the movement. It has a great calming effect on me. The slow movement while focusing on the breath is very relaxing, and feels good on my back. :)

message 5: by Meryl (new)

Interesting that some of you like half moon; not my cup of tea at all. In addition to my beloved shoulder stand, I prefer poses that stretch the spine backward, forward or twisting. I'm not as much of a fan of hip-based stretches and twists. Not surprisingly, then, I also love cat pose!

Years ago when I taught yoga, I used to do inversions with legs against the walls for those who couldn't go up into shoulder stand. There's something about working against gravity that's just wonderful.

Meryl Davids Landau

message 6: by Marianna (new)

Marianna I'm fairly new to yoga and have a hard time with inversions and back bends and the like. Though it's challenging for me, my favorite pose is Pigeon. I love the hip stretch. Second favorite would definitely be cat.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (strangeproblem) | 18 comments Pigeon is also my favorite, I'm big on hip openers. Triangle is another fave, and tree... I have a lot of favorites I think.

Back bends of all sorts are a serious challenge, both mentally and physically.

message 8: by Joan (new)

Joan (mrsdigits) | 21 comments My favorite is child's pose...ahhhhhh ....and of course corpse pose.

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie my favorite is Natarajasana - Dancer pose. My second favorite is Ushtrasana - Camel pose.

I teach a lot of beginners, but I'll throw shoulder stand at them once in a while for some spice and to keep them pushing their comfort zone. But, we do it with a chair or the wall and they start in legs up the wall pose, then bend the knees, press the soles of the feet into the wall to raise the thighs,hips and lower torso verticle, it gives them a feeling of support.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I think my all time favorite is triangle pose. I feel grounded and balanced and stretched in all the right places! At the same time, it makes me feel very open. I also like pigeon (I have issues with my hip alignment and this pose seems to bring me into alignment). I prefer child's pose to even corse pose....feel like I can let go more. I love balancing poses, especially dancer and tree.

I have a real hard time with half moon, and I wouldn't even say I can "do it". (hip issues I think). Depending on the day, twisting poses can be hard for me too. I'm much better on one side because my alignment is so out of whack! I like shoulder stand now but didn't used to, and it takes me a bit to get into it.

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (alohaneen) I just realized there are endless conversations going on!! I have to add to this one! I have a few but I'll just give 3 of my favorites that I must do. The first, Ardha Matsyendrasana, half seated spinal twist, or actually any spinal twist! Anytime you see me I'll be twisting my body! :)
The second, Matsyasana, or fish pose. This pose is simply amazing!
And lastly, and of the Pachimothasana series..legs extended pose or forward seated fold. I just love stretching my legs!

message 12: by Meryl (new)

Christine wrote: "I just realized there are endless conversations going on!! I have to add to this one! I have a few but I'll just give 3 of my favorites that I must do. The first, Ardha Matsyendrasana, half se..."

I love ardha matsyendrasana! It not only opens by back, it actually opens my sinuses. Even if I didn't think they were stuffed up, I can smell so much better after doing the pose. I've asked others and I seem to be the only one this pose affects in this way. Does this happen with any of you?

Meryl Davids Landau

message 13: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone I second Trikonasana and Salamba Kapotasana(pigeon) too! I never want to get out of Trikonasana, and I love any hip openers. I too struggle with ardhachandrasana - my balance is not the best!

Jen wrote: "I think my all time favorite is triangle pose. I feel grounded and balanced and stretched in all the right places! At the same time, it makes me feel very open. I also like pigeon (I have issues wi..."

message 14: by Alison (new)

Alison | 12 comments I love crow and pigeon and wheel all for very different reasons of course. And I LOVE the Kundalini-style pelvic rotation kriya!

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) I don't like half moon much and I often don't feel like I can "do it" either (even with my pile of blocks!). I like twists and hip openers like pigeon the best. Not frog though, it hurts my knees. I love triangle too. And headstand (but I need to use the wall). I don't care for balancing poses as much. Don't like crow...I am afraid of falling on my face.

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison | 12 comments I struggled to hold crow for years. Finally, to ease the fear of falling on my face in crow, a new teacher taught me to do the pose with your head touching the floor first. So, as you squat and prepare to go into the pose just lean all the way forward until the top of your head touches the ground. Then lift the toes off the floor. Its like a crow/headstand and it made actual crow less scary!

message 17: by Jenene (new)

Jenene i really love twists!
some of my favorite asanas are cobra (i look like a grinning fool in cobra), triangle, and forward bends of all types and let's not forget savasana! ha.

pigeon and other hip openers i find really difficult for me, but i try to do the best i can.

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill (zinful71) | 16 comments I love pigeon. I just really enjoy the feeling of that hip opener. It releases so much of the bad out of me =)

message 19: by Meryl (new)

Jill wrote: "I love pigeon. I just really enjoy the feeling of that hip opener. It releases so much of the bad out of me =)"

LOL! I do know exactly what you mean!

message 20: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (TheSilencedoctorwho) | 1 comments Pigeon is nice :-)

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) I love pigeon too.
I just got back from a yoga workshop on inversions. I love headstand and I can (mostly) do it without leaning against a wall now!

message 22: by Meryl (new)

Wow, pigeon seems to be a group favorite, lol. Can you all do the full pose?

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) Is "full pose" when you bend your straight leg and reach back for it or when you lay all the way forward?

message 24: by Alison (new)

Alison | 12 comments Oh geez I cannot grab my back foot with both hands- not even close!!!

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill (zinful71) | 16 comments I've done it where you bend the straight leg, grab it, but I don't then lie all the way forward. I haven't done it in a while, but I feel like I would be arching back into it then. Is that right?

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) I can't bend my back foot up very well because my quads are tight, but I love doing pigeon with my back leg straight and then laying my head down forward.

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill (zinful71) | 16 comments That's my normal way of doing it as well. Love it =)

message 28: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Carvalho (biblio_belinda) | 3 comments Happy baby pose with a bit of rocking included..pigeon is a close favourite some days though!

message 29: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 3 comments Childs pose or cobblers!

message 30: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 3 comments I really love twists also!

message 31: by Sophie (new)

Sophie A (phoebecaulfield) | 1 comments Trikonasana!

message 32: by Zachariah (new)

Zachariah (labelsr4clothes) | 2 comments I just love doing a set of sun salutations!

message 33: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 40 comments Sun Salutation, Cobra and Cat poses are favorites.

message 34: by Linda (new)

Linda Pressman (lindapressman) I love when I'm in a challenging class ( and that's a relative term since I've only been practicing for 8 months) and suddenly the teacher calls for us to go in a Downward Facing Dog and it feels like a resting position at that moment! And I love when a class like that transitions into savasana and there's this wonderful moment when my body feels alive and invigorated and suddenly still!

message 35: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Popali (lucypop) | 5 comments Headstand!

message 36: by Julia (new)

Julia  O'Neal-Casey (JuliaAiluj) | 3 comments Rabit!

message 37: by Robert Steven (new)

Robert Steven Goldstein | 19 comments Plow pose (halasana).

message 38: by Vern (new)

Vern Stevens | 3 comments Crow pose.

message 39: by Uday (new)

Uday Desai (udaydesai) | 3 comments Meryl wrote: "I took a great yoga class the other day, and the teacher didn't do a shoulder stand. After the class ended, which was otherwise a really good class, I felt compelled to find a corner and do a quick..."

Mary,

This is great that you do "Shoulder Stand" every day (or in every yoga practice).
Just wanted humbly to give you a correct translation from Sanskrit: The Sanskrit name of the pose is: "Sarvangasana".

"Sarva" + "Anga" + "Asana"

"Sarva" means all,
Anga means limb(s)
Asana means posture (more correctly a seat )

So sarvangasana appropriately means "all limbs posture"

Incidently the word "Ashtanga" in Patanjali's "Ashtanaga Yoga" is formed from:
Ashta + Anga;
"Ashta" means eight,
Anga means limbs ... hence "Eight Limbs Yoga".

I just thought that I should share with you, it's not that I know a lot about Sanskrit or about Yoga, I just happened to born in India and had an advantage of knowing it from child hood.

message 40: by Amal (new)

Amal Pigeon pose on one foot
camel pose
hero pose
and twist.

message 41: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 40 comments I enjoy coming back and reading the posts of others, I learn so much. My favorites are sun salutations and hip poses such as triangle and warrior III.

message 42: by A'ndrea (Auni) (new)

A'ndrea (Auni) (aunileigh) | 6 comments I absolutely love chair prayer twist.

message 43: by Wilderness (last edited Jul 12, 2014 04:47PM) (new)

Wilderness (wdoregon) Reclined Spinal Twist - Supta Matsyendrasana...OMG, so good!
and there really is nothing better than a good ol' child's pose :)

message 44: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 8 comments hero pose
lotus
forward folds