Scandinavian Mysteries discussion

What Author Got You Started

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments Based on a turn in the other thread "Why I Love..." I thought this was an interesting tangent.

I remember quite a long time ago reading a blog post from Sarah Weinman on her then top mystery blog Confession of an Idiosyncratic Mind, that all though lots of people praise Mankell and his Wallander series, she had tried it a few times and just couldn't get into it.

For some reason that was enough for me to pick up a book at my library. Now the Scandinavian mysteries are my top genre to read, I just can't seem to get enough.

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz (dijonnaise) | 2 comments Pretty sure my first was Peter Hoeg's Smilla's Sense of Snow. It's still a standout among Scandinavian mysteries, and is my favorite after Steig Larson's trilogy.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim I read Smilla's Sense of Snow many years ago, but didn't realize it was noir nordic until I started in on the Martin Beck series. Then, I really got into it. I am completely hooked on Nesbo, Sigurdardottir, Edwardson, Tursten, Wallander, Lackberg, Larsson and Keplar now - and I continue to eagerly search for new Scandanavian authors whenever I can.

Nothing beats the Steig Larson trilogy, though. That, to me, is still the best of all of them.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Lindisfarne53 wrote: "I read Smilla's Sense of Snow many years ago, but didn't realize it was noir nordic until I started in on the Martin Beck series. Then, I really got into it. I am completely hooked on Nesbo, Sigur..."

Larsson's trilogy hooked me,too. Since then I've fallen for Jo Nesbo, but have read a few Wallander books, a Martin Beck, and a smattering of others but in truth, I'm just beginning to immerse myself in the world of Nordic Noir!

message 5: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 25, 2012 09:36AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Indridason got me started and have read many Scandi's since. Just finished James Thompson's books "Snow Angel" and Lucifer's Tears"
Never have read the Steig Larson trilogy. Guess I had better get with it.

message 6: by wendy (new)

wendy kennedy (yoiks) | 1 comments It was Smilla's Sense of Snow for me too followed by the Wallender series. Right now my favourite Scandinavian writer is Jo Nesbo.

message 7: by Pat (new)

Pat Gerber-Relf | 6 comments I suppose it was Stig Larson. My husband read it first a few years ago. Usually the Scandinavian writers are translated into german before english, so he picked up the German edition and I read it afterwards. we soon had all three behind us and from there I went on to Mankell and hubby Adler-Olsen and we were both soon swopping books. At the moment we are into Jo Nesbo - seems to be no end to the Scandinavian criminals.

message 8: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 25, 2012 09:38AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Indridason from Iceland got me started with Scandi Noir. Then Smilla's Sense of Snow and Peter Hoeg. Now beyond hooked.

message 9: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments Before I went on a vacation to Iceland I checked out my Library system for Icelandic authors and they had all of Indridason books. So I immediately worked through them (and Yrsa's). Iceland was great and I have since even managed a few Haldor Laxness's books.

message 10: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 27, 2012 09:57AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Loved Yrsa too . Even changed my name to hers for awhile.!! But then got into Anne Holt, Karin Fossum,and Mankell. Really liked Holt's earlier books versus 1222 although I see it is up for I believe an "Edgar".

message 11: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 18 comments I started with The Mind's Eye, read somof ore of the same series, and then moved onto The Indian Bride, Frozen Tracks! But really got hooked after reading Sidetracked (Wallander #5) by Henning Mankell

message 12: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 2 comments Interesting, for me also Smilla's Sense of Snow, followed by Mankell and definately cemented by Stig Larson. Huge fan of Indridason, Krin Fossum and many, many more.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Everything that Gisela said plus John Steinbeck!

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments I know Steinbeck is not Scandinavian but a huge influence in all my readings. Oh and I cannot forget Yrsa!!!

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Garcia | 2 comments Started with Stieg Larsson trilogy. Now I'm into Jo Nesbo. Scandinavian writers flesh out their characters brilliantly. The scenery comes alive and you feel the cold, heat, bleakness, brightness.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda Probably Karin Fossum, was the first author from Scandinavia who got me hooked on mystery writers from Scandinavia. I'm also partial to Indridason, Henning Mankell, Jussi Adler-Olsen and Jo Nesbo. I really like the development of the characters, even if they are flawed and the majestic landscapes.

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter (teacherman) | 2 comments Well, I started out on burgandy, but soon hit the harder stuff.

Oops, wrong song.

Greetings, as the draft boards said in the '60's. I've been reading Wahloo/Sjowal, van der Watering and Henning Mankell since forever ago, long before The Girl Who and the newer, quite good mysteries and procedurals.
I worked for fifty years until last January, when I had to retire because, despite my students' belief that I had no heart, my heart is full and, regrettably, clogged. So now I am retired, reading so much more, and looking to participate as a group member and, if there's interest, as a friend.

I was a criminal trial lawyer for 25 years, tried over 250 homicides and tons of guns and drugs, then taught middle and high school English for the past ten years. Now I care for about 100 rescue dogs, part time.

message 18: by Claire (new)

Claire Naden | 1 comments I got hooked on Scandinavian writers after reading Stieg Larsson's trilogy. My favorite authors are Camilla Lackberg and Lars Kepler. Have read Nesbo, Mankell, Fossum too. These writers offer us so much in their writing. Hadn't heard of Holt will check her out!

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter (teacherman) | 2 comments I'm grateful--really--for the warm welcome. I've never dated on line (my 15 year old daughter has, though), and I didn't know what to expect. This will be fun, and shared joy is joy doubled.

To those of you who suggested surgery, the risks still outweigh the potential benefits, though I do have a defibrillator/pacemaker and five stents.

message 20: by Elizabeth (last edited Nov 03, 2014 09:31AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments New for me and wonderful Carin Gerhardsen's "The Gingerbread House".

message 21: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Millerhagen | 1 comments I love Stieg Larsson. He made me think there are stories that cannot be reported but have to told in story form to allow them to see the light of day for all.

Jussi Adler-Olsen makes me laugh. I love his quirky characters that give some lightness to horrific life experiences people experience.

I love the storyline of Camilla Lackberg and cannot wait for the next book.

Lena Kaaberbol'stories of a woman who is tormented in her giving.

I liked Gunnar Staalesen's, Where the roses never die.

James Thompson's books were fascinating reads about a culture I have always been curious, Finland. I couldn't put them down as is typical of a Scandinavian author.

I read early Nesbo but cannot seem to go further in the list.

I am 100 % Norwegian and have close family in Norway.

I am not sure what the draw is to the Scandinavian author: characterization???

message 22: by Anne (last edited Jul 07, 2020 01:33PM) (new)

Anne | 1 comments Henning Mankell.