Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Reading Recommendations > Military/Battle Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Nov 04, 2011 10:37AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) This thread is to suggest and to discuss military fantasy novels and/or fantasy novels that contain a lot fighting/battle elements.

I finished The Cry of the Icemark, and I found it to be a very good military fantasy novel. Yes it is a YA book, but don't let that stop you from checking it out.

I have also read The Black Company this year in this category.

I have Twelve and Thirteen Years Later by Jasper Kent in pile, and The Ten Thousand.

Which ones do you like the most and/or recommend?

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Its not really fantasy but I enjoyed Starship Troopers.

I also liked Sheepfarmer's Daughter from The Deed of Paksenarrion.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I really need to read those, MrsJ. I do have Sheepfarmer's Daughter. Will move it up my read list for next year.

message 4: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (hlneb) | 9 comments You could also try Joe Abercrombie - on a more sarcastic tone.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Definitely excited to read Abercrombie. We had The Blade Itself as a group read, but I didn't get a chance to read it. It's staring at me on my bookshelf in my room.

message 6: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) The Malazan series is definitely military fiction. Tons of soldiers and fighting throuhout all the books I've read in it so far. It seems quite realistic too. So it's not one for the extremely sensitive or squeamish. Starts with Gardens of the Moon in case someone needed a link.

message 7: by Traci (new)

Traci This is a subgenre I'm recently interested in but have little reading experience.
Though I would add, Legend and Winterbirth.

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Traci wrote: "This is a subgenre I'm recently interested in but have little reading experience.
Though I would add, Legend and Winterbirth."

I really enjoyed Legend but I would say it's less Military fantasy and closer to "battle" fantasy? Eh, that doesn't work, either...I guess it's that the battle is important but it's not focused on being in or dealing with the military (which I personally separate)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) A Storm Upon Ulsterwas, at it's heart a military story, though there were a lot of traditoinal magics and mythologic entities involved in that.

(The book also could be considered a "Historical Fantasy.")

The other one, which I mention often with high praise, would be The Drawing of the Darkwhich has some wonderful pitched battles with cannons and things.

(Also a "Historical fantasy")

I'd also throw in The Lost Regiment: Rally Cry v. 1 which is very war and military oriented.

Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1) by William R. Forstchen The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers A Storm Upon Ulster by Kenneth C. Flint

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Nov 04, 2011 10:37AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) MrsJ, I guess I didn't use the right terminology. I would include battle fantasy in with my original intent of this thread.

message 11: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Is my post okay? (in keepign with the intent of this thread) or is it better if I move it to a more appropriate discussion thread?

(You know you won't hurt my feelings Lady D. I'll move it or take it down if this isn't the right place for it.)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I think it's exactly what I was asking for, Hugh. Thanks for the recommendations.

message 13: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Oh, in that case... I'm of course amazed, yet again (sigh) at my own intuitive genius.

I hate it when that happens.

(B-{D>

message 15: by The Pirate Ghost (last edited Nov 04, 2011 11:11AM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) In other words, imagine me signing like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnwSp...

Which I might add, is in keeping with the thread too.

(P-{D>

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I can't go to Youtube now. I'll check it out later.

message 17: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Okay. And you might need to re-read my last post (before the you tube thing) before you listen... just to set the mood.