You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Peeking at the ending

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Do you always, sometimes or never peek at the ending of a novel?

message 2: by Dem (last edited Nov 03, 2011 05:44AM) (new)

Dem | 944 comments Judy wrote: "Almost never. The few times I have is when a book is boring but I still kinda want to know what happens.
Do you peek, Cecily?"

Absolutly Never, even if I give up on a book, never look at the ending, but I have friends who love to have a peek! Great post!

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber NEVER! The ONLY time I've ever jumped ahead and peeked at the ending was the book The Story of Edgar Sawtelle because it was so horribly slow and I had to see if anything was going to happen that required me to finish the book. (The answer, by the way, was no.)

message 4: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Russell I'm with Judy, normally I only peek if the book is really boring but I still want to know what happens. Although if I remember right, I did peek right away at the ending of the last Harry Potter book just because I wanted to see if Harry lived lol. I always figured he would, but I had to be sure.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi I definitely peek but it is a rare thing I'm happy to say. I think my more used tactic these days is the flipping trick. This is when a book is dull, really dull. Most of the time I just put down a dull book. But there are times when I need to see the end of a book. There was 1 very rare book where I was not at all interested in the ending OR finishing the book! It is a much admired book, Life of Pi, so many will be appalled!

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48779 comments I peek. Once I get a feel for what's coming, I can slow down and absorb instead of rushing through. With audiobooks, I'm unable to peak. It can be done with ebooks, but it's a little harder.

This reminds me of a scene in When Harry Met Sally, where he said he always read the last page so that if he died before he finished the book, he'd know how it ended.

message 7: by Cecily (last edited Nov 03, 2011 08:11AM) (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Judy wrote: "...Do you peek, Cecily?"

No - even though I have occasionally enjoyed books where I do know the ending.

Maranda wrote: "...I did peek right away at the ending of the last Harry Potter book just because I wanted to see if Harry lived ..."

If Harry had died, would you have carried on (reading that is, not life in general!)?

Janice wrote: "...This reminds me of a scene in When Harry Met Sally, where he said he always read the last page so that if he died before he finished the book, he'd know how it ended"

Ha ha. That's a pretty good, if somewhat depressing, justification.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments Oh good god NO! How does that not just completely spoil the entire book and the suspense/anticipation/whatever? My dad does this a lot and I've never understood it, we always put it down to him being too impatient to wait and see where the story leads!

BTW in case you haven't guessed, I don't look at the end before I get there

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I haven't 'peeked' for years - when I was a teenager I almost always did it, but I've no idea why!

I've been tempted to peek at the end of books that I'm not really enjoying, but I know if I do that I'll just give up and stop reading anyway.

Reading ebooks (95% of my reading now), does make it harder, by the time I'd put a bookmark in and started scrolling to find the end I would start to get annoyed at myself for 'cheating'!

message 10: by Maranda (last edited Nov 03, 2011 12:26PM) (new)

Maranda Russell Maranda wrote: "...I did peek right away at the ending of the last Harry Pot..."

Cecily, If Harry had died in the end I still would have read the book, although I probably would have been pretty ticked off.

message 11: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Russell Judy wrote: "Maranda wrote: "Maranda wrote: "...I did peek right away at the ending of the last Harry Pot..."

Cecily, If Harry had died in the end I still would have read the book, although I probably would ha..."

Not that I can recall. But I don't do it frequently.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I don't read mysteries & stuff where knowing the ending matters, but still, the only time I skim through to the end is to see if I want to finish an unsatisfactory book, to see if something changes.

This happens more often in non-fiction, like books like Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions for example, which was definitely worth reading.

Another 'nay' for The Story of Edgar Sawtelle huh. I still have it on Mt. TBR but I guess I'll anticipate giving up on it.... :)

message 13: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 43 comments Maranda wrote: "I'm with Judy, normally I only peek if the book is really boring but I still want to know what happens. Although if I remember right, I did peek right away at the ending of the last Harry Potter b..."

Yes me too I had to see if Harry lived or not, but I rarely peek at the end of a book, had the habit years ago but stopped :)

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi The issue doesn't come up if you've seen the movie before you've read the book. You know the way that it may end -- movies have been known to change the endings. There isn't much difference to me. Sometimes you just have to look at the ending and it usually does not affect the reading of the book.

message 15: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments Cecily wrote: "Do you always, sometimes or never peek at the ending of a novel?"

I never look. I don't think I would finish a book that I knew the ending.

message 16: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Lori wrote: "The issue doesn't come up if you've seen the movie before you've read the book. "

True, though personally, if I'm going to see the film of a book, I tend to read the book first or not at all. On the relatively few occasions where I have read the book afterwards, I've still enjoyed it, but I've always had the nagging doubt that I'd have enjoyed it more if I hadn't already seen the film.

message 17: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I sometimes peek. Not often but occasionally. I couldn't even tell you why or what books. Oh I did peek for snow angels and struggled a bit with it so maybe I do it if I want to finish it but need a push. My logic being I now know who did it but need to know why hence continue to the end

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) I almost never peek. I have been known to flip/skip pages particularly if the book is very slow or boring just so that I can try get through it. In general, if the book doesn't keep my attention I lay it down never to be picked back up again lol : ) and in those cases I could care less what happened at the end.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I refuse to peak. I used to then I figured that it kinda sucks to know what happens at least for me.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Dunnehoff | 5 comments I'm a non-peeker because I like the surprise of a good plot. But I will say that sometimes when there's a book I just can't seem to get through for whatever reason, I have to read the end before I can get on with the rest of my life!

message 21: by Shanan (new)

Shanan (mariahswind) | 9 comments I used to peek all the time when I was younger... but rarely do now unless I need to know if a certain character is on the last page... I just did it with Lavender Morning as the character was 'supposed' to end up with one guy but then some other guy shows up and seems much more interesting... so I just had to peek, I know it's naughty but I find sometimes knowing what I am headed for helps me enjoy the journey more... but then sometimes it makes me want to get to the end terribly fast and I won't put the silly thing down! I also do the skipping ahead if there is way too much uninteresting gibberish that has nothing to do with character and plot developement.

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48779 comments Hi Kathy and welcome to You'll Love This One! I hope you enjoy our group. :)

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Dunnehoff | 5 comments Thank you. One of my favorite things about online communities is that sometimes the community part is really evident.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to peek, but ruined one too many books for myself, so I stopped doing it.