Ask Lisa See! discussion

Friendship-motherhood

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mia (new)

Mia | 1 comments -Is that kind of friendship between two girls can exist in real life? Because the relationship did fascinate me long time after reading the book, it's really inspiriting!
-In your opinion, a mother who can bandage the feet of her daughter with such cruelty can have a little bit of love to offer to her child or that scene was the sign that some mothers can do such horrible things just to be a part of the society and to respond to the obligations of this society?

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1 comments To "piggyback" on Mia's comment, I am wondering if growing up, you experienced and/or witnessed girls'interrelationships that inspired this wonderful story.
SNOWFLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN was the first of yours that I read, but I am an avid fan.
ON GOLD MOUNTAIN, for me, answers many cultural background questions that I see woven into you more recent works. Is this a correct observation? Please keep writing for us!

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments To Mia: my take on the foot-binding was not that her mother didn't love her, but instead loved her so much she wanted her to go through this in order to secure a good marriage. It's confusing to us to believe a mother who loves can be so cruel, but in a time when women had no worth as human beings and were considered property, the only chance a girl had at a decent life was being a good wife to a man of a higher station.

As for friendships that can last a lifetime, I am 43 and still talk to my high school best friend. Just like Snow Flower and Lily, we don't talk every day, but we know the other is always there when we need them to be. I think we will be friends until the day one of us dies.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa See | 81 comments Mod
Mia wrote: "-Is that kind of friendship between two girls can exist in real life? Because the relationship did fascinate me long time after reading the book, it's really inspiriting!
-In your opinion, a mothe..."

The laotong relationship did exist in real life, as did sworn sisters. Even today in China, girls will still form friendships so close that they are called something like "sister-friends."

The reason mothers bound their daughters feet was out of pure love. This was the one thing they could do for their daughters to possibly give them a better chance at life. If they could give their daughters a pair of perfectly bound feet, then their daughters might be able to marry into a better family and have a better life.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Donna wrote: "To "piggyback" on Mia's comment, I am wondering if growing up, you experienced and/or witnessed girls'interrelationships that inspired this wonderful story.
SNOWFLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN was the f..."

Haven't we all experienced having a best friend? Haven't we all dumped a friend or been dumped by a friend?

On Gold Mountain is about my family, which is Chinese American. It was my first in-depth earch into who I am and Chinese culture. Has it influenced all my other books? Of course! Just take a peek at the epigraph for On Gold Mountain, and you'll see that that Wallace Stegner quote has been at the heart of all of my books.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Sharon wrote: "To Mia: my take on the foot-binding was not that her mother didn't love her, but instead loved her so much she wanted her to go through this in order to secure a good marriage. It's confusing to us..."

I'm with you 100% on both of your comments.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments Lisa wrote: "Sharon wrote: "To Mia: my take on the foot-binding was not that her mother didn't love her, but instead loved her so much she wanted her to go through this in order to secure a good marriage. It's ..."

Thank you! Btw, you have to get used to this other name...this is LFrog1386. Are you currently writing your next novel? Can we expect to see it this Spring?

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Well, look who's here!!! How fun!

I am working on a new novel. China Dolls will be published in the spring on 2013.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments A whole year and a HALF??!!!!! I don't know if we can wait that long!!!! LOL :(

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Sharon wrote: "A whole year and a HALF??!!!!! I don't know if we can wait that long!!!! LOL :("

I'm sorry, but it takes time to do the research and write thoughtfully.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments Where is China Dolls being set? Will you be going back to China for more research?

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Sharon/ LFrog1386 wrote: "Where is China Dolls being set? Will you be going back to China for more research?"

China Dolls will be set 100% in nthe U.S., so no new China trip for me.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments LOL Makes you wanna reconsider locations, doesn't it? :)