The Sword and Laser discussion

Kindle Book Rental

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments If you haven't peeked at Amazon today, you're in for a surprise:

Dear Customers,

Today we're announcing a new benefit for Kindle owners with an Amazon Prime membership: the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library.

Kindle owners can now choose from thousands of books to borrow for free, including over 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers — as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates. No other e-reader or ebook store offers such a service.

The Kindle Owners’ Lending Library features a wide array of popular titles, including Water for Elephants, Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, and Fast Food Nation – plus award-winning novels such as The Finkler Question, motivational books like The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, biographies and memoirs including Kitchen Confidential, and Pulitzer Prize-winning books like Guns, Germs, and Steel.

We’re adding the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library to Prime membership at no extra cost — Amazon Prime remains just $79 a year, which gives you free two-day shipping on millions of products, plus unlimited instant streaming of almost 13,000 movies and TV shows.

One book per month seems a bit stingy -- why not set a high limit and trust to the fact that most people don't read more than a book per month?

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments To me this is not a compelling feature. I would be much more interested if it was like Netflix where I could have a certain number of books out at one time and once one was returned I could get another book.

With 5 different people linked to my amazon account 1 book a month is very limited.

I also am disappointed in that I do not see an easy way to find the titles on Amazon.com

If you are already a prime member it is a nice benefit but it is not a feature that will get me to sign up for Amazon prime or be the deciding factor when considering it.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I've been considering a Amazon Prime membership for a while now. This is just another reason I might want to actually follow through and sign up.

message 4: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett | 56 comments I was wondering if Whyspersync works wi it between devices. That is what makes my Kindle valuable to me.

Either way, what a great way to try books not available on Overdrive or **gasp** at a regular library.

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments I think this is a feature to get customers who were on the edge of joining prime to do so and then to get them to buy kindles (well within my impulse buy price range now a days).

If their streaming service continues to pick up titles as rapidly as it has been (hear that netflix?) I might switch over.

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben | 116 comments Amazon's free movie library (with Prime membership) is pretty weak compared to Netflix (at least the last time I checked), but it is also cheaper than Netflix and it comes bundled with other services. I can imagine a "Prime Plus" in a year or two that might give more books to rent or a much bigger movie library (that would directly compete with Netflix). Such a thing might roll out sooner, depending on how the Kindle Fire works out.

message 7: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Elie wrote: "I was wondering if Whyspersync works wi it between devices. That is what makes my Kindle valuable to me."

Looks like these books will only be readable on the Kindle hardware, not phones, tablets or the PC.

Still, if I bought more than one physical item from Amazon a year, this would be another good reason to consider Prime.

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Picked up the free month membership of amazon prime. The total borrow-able science fiction collection is 68 books. Most of which I haven't heard of. This is to be expected I guess. A little sad that a H. G. Wells book is included when you can technically buy it from amazon for free since its under public commons I think.

message 9: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments 68 ouch that was what I was afraid of. I expect their fantasy offerings to be fairly slim as well.

Hopefully Amazon will be able to expand their offerings in the coming months or years. Until they have a larger selection of sword and laser ebooks I will view the lending as a nice perks for a prime membership but not a significant selling point.

message 10: by Nick (last edited Nov 03, 2011 11:06AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I expect this will be a promotional gateway for lesser known authors who don't have a big publishing company behind them. For better known authors there is no incentive to buy into this program with amazon unless amazon just offers them some sort of amazing deal on their properties.

message 11: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments If authors put the first book of a series in the amazon lending it could be a great tool for promotion as well and much easier to get noticed vs. the plethora of $0. 99 or free books in the amazon store.

Of course those indie authors might be able to sign up as well, making it just as difficult to get noticed.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments The big publishers are holding back from this deal, they are afraid that it will keep people from buying books. If they are smart they should release a few parts of a series to drum up interest and keep the final few editions as buy only. They could very easily use this as a tool to increase sales.

message 13: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments Here is a link for searching the lending eligible books for everyone. The vast majority of books are non fiction.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=s...