Q&A with Marita A. Hansen discussion

The Beautiful Side of New Zealand

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 105 comments Mod
I love my county, and because of this I also want to include the beautiful side of it. Feel free to chat about the things that you like about New Zealand.

message 2: by Larry (new)

Larry Kahn (larrykahn) I visited New Zealand a few times on business. What little I saw of the countryside was beautiful, but the memories that stick with me are of Auckland, a gorgeous city that reminds me so much of San Francisco but with two bays.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 14 comments Wellington is a true jewel.....

message 4: by Marita (new)

Larry wrote: "I visited New Zealand a few times on business. What little I saw of the countryside was beautiful, but the memories that stick with me are of Auckland, a gorgeous city that reminds me so much of Sa..."

Auckland is where my heart is, particularly East Auckland. I love Howick. And there are loads of beaches in that area that are really nice.

message 5: by Marita (last edited Nov 03, 2011 04:36PM) (new)

Debbie wrote: "Wellington is a true jewel....."

Windy Wellington :) I've been there a few times, in particular Trentham.

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 14 comments

:-)

message 7: by Marita (last edited Nov 03, 2011 05:43PM) (new)

Debbie wrote: "

:-)"

Very nice photo.

message 8: by Marita (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:42PM) (new)

Debbie wrote: "

:-)"

Debbie, how do you add photos to this area? I tried before but it didn't work.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo Danilo (jodanilo) There are too many good things about New Zealand to mention, but I'll have a go... Empty beaches, dolphins, boats, sunshine, cheap seasonal fruit, good coffee, great muffins, EFTPOS, jandals, fishing, clear roads, space, complete lack of formal dress code, lack of materialism, minimal celebrity worship, frugalness (if that's a word) and nature. And not forgetting the best of all - the iconic 'sausage sizzle' (just had one for lunch). Love living here.

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo Danilo (jodanilo) Whoops - almost forgot the Amazing All Blacks!

message 11: by Marita (new)

Jo wrote: "Whoops - almost forgot the Amazing All Blacks!"

AB-solutely agree with the All Blacks! The ABs are great.

message 12: by Marita (last edited Nov 05, 2011 08:31PM) (new)

Jo wrote: "There are too many good things about New Zealand to mention, but I'll have a go... Empty beaches, dolphins, boats, sunshine, cheap seasonal fruit, good coffee, great muffins, EFTPOS, jandals, fishi..."

I didn't realise how great EFTPOS was in New Zealand until I left the country. You pay for something with your card in NZ and then ask for money out. But when I came to Singapore they looked at me with a blank stare. Though, I talked one Singaporean retailer into doing it, but he said only that one time as I needed the cash and he gave into my charm, lol. I've been told it's just a NZ thing that allows it (the withdrawal from your bank through retailers.)

message 13: by Marita (last edited Nov 05, 2011 08:35PM) (new)

Jo wrote: "There are too many good things about New Zealand to mention, but I'll have a go... Empty beaches, dolphins, boats, sunshine, cheap seasonal fruit, good coffee, great muffins, EFTPOS, jandals, fishi..."

The beaches are fantastic and I love February, which is when Golden Queen peaches are out. They are the best tasting fruit ever. I buy whole boxes and just eat that during this time (except of course for dinner). Just can't get enough of them.

And as before, Jo, you're very lucky to live in KeriKeri :) It's one of the most gorgeous places in New Zealand. You should put a picture up here of one of it's beaches.

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo Danilo (jodanilo) It is great up here. We had 20 degreesC on the same day that my sister got 6 inches of snow in Otago!

I've got a brilliant photo of Whale Bay (Tutukaka) which is my ultimate favourite, though not in the Bay of Islands. Not sure how to post it though :-(

I'll look out for the Golden Queen peaches in Feb. Yummy!

message 15: by Debbie (last edited Nov 06, 2011 12:02AM) (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 14 comments To add a pic Marita, you do this:
[image error]. I had to leave out the = sign to show you....to make it work, put the = sign in between c and ".
You can only add pics from websites, not your hard drive. I publish my own pics to Photobucket and then it is easy to post them here. Google images is great too!!

message 16: by Marita (new)

Debbie wrote: "To add a pic Marita, you do this:
. I had to leave out the = sign to show you....to make it work, put the = sign in between c and ".
You can only add pics from websites, not your hard drive. I p..."

Thanks, Debbie :)

message 17: by Marita (last edited Nov 09, 2011 05:22PM) (new)

Here is Howick, my favourite place in the world (an aerial shot of one part, spanning out from the gulf club. It's in East Auckland, which is a very nice and safe place, the complete opposite of the other part of Auckland that I describe in my book (and where I used to live).

message 18: by Marita (last edited Nov 09, 2011 05:30PM) (new)

One fantastic thing about Auckland is there are about 28 beaches (probably more now since the city has expanded.) They are also very clean with great views and nice sand. There are also some black sand beaches on the West Coast, which are really cool to visit and are very popular with surfers as well as hikers.

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 14 comments ....and then there is Riversdale Beach on the east coast of North Island (45 minutes drive away from me)....

message 20: by Marita (new)

That's another I like about New Zealand: The skies. It's also shown in New Zealand artwork that depict landscapes. It's a stunning blue, and people have commented about it a lot. I haven't see sky as bright blue as New Zealand and I've travelled quite a lot.

message 21: by Marita (new)

That's another thing that I love about New Zealand: The stunning blue skies that I haven't seen elsewhere. Other people have mentioned it too, and while I was doing my art history degree the bright skies was an important theme in New Zealand paintings.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) Don't forget the South Island. I love the fact that I can take my dogs for a walk along the edge of Lake Waihola and not see a single person. I adore going out for afternoon tea and getting a great cup of coffee, a slice and a gorgeous view all for under $10.
Skiing in the winter, Christmas in the summer. Clean, open spaces and supportive and committed rural communities.

message 23: by Marita (last edited Nov 12, 2011 12:20AM) (new)

Angie wrote: "Don't forget the South Island. I love the fact that I can take my dogs for a walk along the edge of Lake Waihola and not see a single person. I adore going out for afternoon tea and getting a great..."

I've been to Queenstown and it was lovely down there too, and then there's Lake Wanaka below.

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) We head to Queenstown and Wanaka 3-4 times a year for weekend escapes. Love both places. Used to love Wanaka more, but now when we go to Queenstown we stay in Frankton, so we only have to be involved in the tourist side of Queenstown if we so choose. Heaven on earth.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Up North is great.Hokianga Harbour is jaw droppingly gorgeous. The picture below does not do it justice, which tells you how beautiful the place is.

message 26: by Marita (last edited Nov 15, 2011 05:41PM) (new)

Angela wrote: "Up North is great.Hokianga Harbour is jaw droppingly gorgeous. The picture below does not do it justice, which tells you how beautiful the place is.

"

The Hokianga is one of the most breath-taking places I've seen. When I fist drove over the ridge I stopped in the middle of the road I was so stunned by it. My husband told me to move the car to the side, lol. The view I saw was the tan-coloured sand dunes/islands, the gorgeous beach/ocean, and the hills overlooking it all.

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 14 comments Wow!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been to Hokianga. It's very beautiful.

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo Danilo (jodanilo) It's one of my favourite places. Like going back to the 1950's. The sea beyond the harbour is so wild I could watch it all day.

message 30: by Chandra (new)

Chandra | 1 comments That is beautiful! Breath taking!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

We have to include Lake Wakatipu (Queenstown) in this discussion.

message 32: by Marita (new)

Angela wrote: "We have to include Lake Wakatipu (Queenstown) in this discussion. "

That is one gorgeous photo.