Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Movies and TV Talk > Newer movies that may appeal to classic fans

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (last edited Nov 03, 2011 07:43PM) (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
Branching off from the classic horror movie discussion, I thought it might be a good idea to keep a master list of newer films that may appeal to our sensibilities. I will try to note (to the best of my memory) if a movie contains gore, enough violence to be notable, children in danger, violence to animals, possible appeal to fans of campy horror, or anything that is upsetting or noteworthy (i.e. foreign films are subtitled). For this reason, I will mainly include movies I have seen.

Call of Cthulhu (silent)
Cool Air
Dagon (gory & campy take on HPL's "Shadow Over Innsmouth")
Tale of Two Sisters (foreign, some blood)
Session 9
Case 39 (involves children in danger)
Trick 'r Treat (campy, gory, children in danger)
The Orphanage (foreign, momentary intense gore & children in danger)
Cronos (mostly foreign, violence, gore)
Insidious (campy, children in danger)
The Others (includes Victorian death photos)
Ju-On (The Grudge) (foreign)
Ringu (The Ring) (foreign)
Sleepy Hollow (campy, gory)
Let the Right One In (foreign, gory, one extremely campy moment)
Rec (foreign)

Feel free to suggest more. I will update the list as I watch more recent movies.

message 2: by Bellis (new)

Bellis | 11 comments Does a mini-series from the 90s count? If so: The Kingdom

message 3: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 15 comments The Orphanage
Chronos
The Grudge
The Ring Japanese version
The Others, (creepy)

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
Great idea, Martha.

I think Sleepy Hollow fits. I love that movie!

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) The Others is one of my favorites.

I enjoyed Sleepy Hollow and along those lines would add Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp.

I also like the 1992 Dracula, even with its imperfections. I just love the over-the-top imagery. Lucy in the swirling red gown walking into the garden . . .

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I agree with you about the imagery in Dracula, MountainShelby. I didn't like some of the romantic elements (don't get me wrong, I love romance, but not a romance between Dracula and Mina that wasn't in the book), but the art direction was fantastic.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Some great recommendations here! I loved Session 9, Trick 'r Treat, Tale of Two Sisters, The Others, and the silent Call of Cthulhu ...

Insidious and Paranormal Activity both have nice spooky atmospheres that fit well with classic horror, even though the movies feel very contemporary.

message 8: by Martha (last edited Nov 03, 2011 07:41PM) (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
It's been a while since I've seen Cronos or The Orphanage, they are good but I remember they both upset me quite a bit. And that's not too easy to do. I remember nothing about Ju-On except that it made no sense to me at the time. If you guys remember anything I should include in my notes, let me know (if it's a spoiler please message me instead of posting it).

I liked Insidious mainly for the (view spoiler) but not much else stuck with me from it. I really, really hated Paranormal Activity personally, although it probably deserves to be on the list as viewers seem to be split about 50/50 on it. The Devil's Backbone might fit too, but I don't seem to remember much about it.

message 9: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 15 comments Would Pan's Labyrinth be a good addition.
Remember watching The Changeling,( not the Angelina one)years ago and being spooked by a red ball.
Lived in a house at the time where strange things used to happen.

message 10: by MountainAshleah (new)

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I agree with you about the imagery in Dracula, MountainShelby. I didn't like some of the romantic elements (don't get me wrong, I love romance, but not a romance between Dracula and Mina that wasn'..."

Absolutely, the plot embellishments were silly (and the book "sequel" is even more at fault--Dracula the Un-Dead). I just love the art direction in the Coppola film. And I admit a nostalgia for Wynona back in the day. She was so fresh faced and adorable. I always thought Keanu was miscast, but he doesn't seem to have aged any over the years. Ha, perhaps the vampire effect.

message 11: by John (new)

John Steiner (johnsteiner) | 26 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I agree with you about the imagery in Dracula, MountainShelby. I didn't like some of the romantic elements (don't get me wrong, I love romance, but not a romance between Dracula and Mina that wasn'..."

I give Gary Oldman props for his character and, particularly, the accent, but my fave is still Frank Langela for the role.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Gary Oldman was a very good Dracula. I agree. I liked Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing. He had just the right amount of camp for that role.

message 13: by Philip (last edited Nov 07, 2011 11:51AM) (new)

Philip Hemplow | 21 comments If you can get hold of it, the notorious BBC adaptation of `The Woman In Black' is a must-see. Hopefully the forthcoming Hammer adaptation will be as good.

message 14: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 133 comments Definitely include "The Devil's Backbone", that was a great movie.

I would suggest "Urban Ghost Story". A very good and effective story about a haunting in a very modern setting. What gives it appeal for fans of classic horror is it's very effective use of atmopshere and mood to create a sense of terror rather than a reliance on the more visceral aspects.

message 15: by MountainAshleah (new)

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) Philip wrote: "If you can get hold of it, the notorious BBC adaptation of `The Woman In Black' is a must-see. Hopefully the forthcoming Hammer adaptation will be as good."

I was able to get a copy from interlibrary loan. It was quite well done, although diverting from the plotline. I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere, which is rather sketchy in the book.

message 16: by MountainAshleah (new)

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) Has anyone seen the Wolfman version with Anthony Hopkins? I started it last night and fell asleep (pretty typical for me on weekday nights).

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I have. I liked it. It was a bit gory (which is expected). I thought Anthony Hopkins was hamming it up a bit, but I love him, so that's okay. I liked the art direction and the atmosphere.

message 18: by MountainAshleah (new)

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) Thanks--I'll give it another shot. The gore was also a bit much for me, but I loved the costumes, atmospheric effects, etc. Anthony Hopkins is one of my favorites, too, even though sometimes he's not quite on the mark.

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

It's worth watching. It's a very classic take on werewolves (IMO). On re-watches, I don't watch the gory bits. I have to admit that with the exception of the Hannibal Lecter roles (ugh, way too creepy!), I love watching Anthony Hopkins, even when he's overacting.

message 20: by MountainAshleah (new)

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) I liked him in The Human Stain (with Nicole Kidman) and Proof. Two of my favorites, despite some weaknesses--not perfect movies--not horror--but interesting, with some good acting. I thought Nicole was better in The Human Stain than Rabbit Hole, but that's a separate topic completely. I LOVED her in The Others. (Okay, now I'm back on track.)

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I haven't seen any of those two yet. But I should watch them!

message 22: by MountainAshleah (new)

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) They are well worth watching. There are certainly flaws, but Nicole is great. Rabbit Hole is quite emotionally heart wrenching. Aaron Eckhart is terrific as the husband--I had no idea he is so talented.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Eckhart is one of those very consistent character actors. He is blandly handsome, so you sort of take him for granted, but he's always good.

message 24: by Werner (new)

Werner I've never watched the entire Dracula adaptation with Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing, but I've seen parts of it. Personally, though I like him as an actor, he doesn't fit my conception of the physical type of the Van Helsing character from the book (though he comes a lot closer than Hugh Jackman does!) The best movie Van Helsing I've seen was the one who played opposite Louis Jourdan's Dracula, though I don't recall the actor's name.

message 25: by Werner (new)

Werner For anybody interested, the Louis Jourdan version I mentioned in the previous comment is a BBC miniseries adaptation of the Stoker novel (part of the Great Performances series) originally aired in 1977; here's a link for more information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075882/ . It's titled Count Dracula, and the actor who played Van Helsing was Frank Finlay. (I've only seen parts of this one, too, but I'd love to see the whole thing!)

message 26: by MountainAshleah (new)

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) Finally finished The Wolfman last night. Mixed review. Some poor casting (IMO), great scenery and imagery, mixed acting. Overall not a bad video experience (there is a fight scene that was so predictable and so ridiculous). I guess I was supposed to be frightened, but it was hysterical. I'm not sure the intended audience for this film--it wasn't gory enough for the usual horror film fans, but a bit too gory for fans of more "historical" horror.

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen (kazzakrisanna) | 34 comments I also loved 'The Others' Another fairly recent film I thought was creepy was 'The Skeleton Key' with Kate Hudson

message 28: by MountainAshleah (new)

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) I haven't seen The Skeleton Key. I can't wait to see The Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliffe. If anyone sees it, let us know what you thought.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen (kazzakrisanna) | 34 comments MountainShelby wrote: "I haven't seen The Skeleton Key. I can't wait to see The Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliffe. If anyone sees it, let us know what you thought."

Me too, I have the book on my TBR pile

message 30: by MountainAshleah (last edited Jan 22, 2012 06:54AM) (new)

MountainAshleah (mountainshelby) I didn't care for The Woman in Black in book form because it read more like a film treatment--little to no details. (But I admit I was comparing the book to "real" Victorian novels, i.e., The Woman in White, The Moonstone.)I actually think the first film version improved on the book, and I think the second will as well. It's a wicked storyline and deserves the proper atmospheric and psychological presentation.

message 31: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 14 comments How you forget The Sixth Sense? For me it is a good horror movie.

message 32: by David (new)

David Elkin | 124 comments Sixth sense was good. I truly enjoyed the Women in Black as well.

message 33: by Werner (last edited Dec 15, 2016 05:03PM) (new)

Werner One film that hasn't been mentioned here, but definitely deserves to be, is the Masterpiece Theatre production of Henry James' The Turn of the Screw, starring Jodhi May as the governess and Colin Firth as the absentee master of Bly, which first aired in 2000. (It's currently available on DVD, I believe --I own it on VHS.). It follows the 19th-century classic pretty faithfully, and would appeal to most members of this group, IMO. Check out this link for more information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209440/ .