MCVSD discussion

NaNoWriMo

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:29PM) (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Who's doing NaNoWriMo? :D
(if you don't know what that is, here's the link)
I'm only doing 20k instead of 50k, since there's no way I'll have enough time x3

But talk about your plots or any ideas/problems you have!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments I'm doing NaNoWriMo!

(And I should be writing. Right now. I am still behind. I have until midnight to catch up and start with a clean slate tomorrow. Clearly I am here instead. Does this count towards my word count?!)

Also, I totally just typed a line that says, "Something cool happens here and they talk, blah blah. Come back and fix this part later". You want to read my story- don't lie. ;)

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments I have 2350 words so far! :D Since 1666 words is generally longer than my short stories, writing that much a day is something I'm not even going to attempt xP (not to mention tt taking up all my time)

As my goal is about 666 words a day, I'm beautifully ahead of schedule >:D (don't worry Mrs. Gross, we can procrastinate together later)

I totally want to read your story *w*

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments 3337 words! I wrote over 2000 of those today. From now on, I stay on target and write my 1667 each day.

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Aah, is jealous >____>
I should really be doing homework now though... (is multitasking studying like, 4 different subjects and writing all at once)

Oh well, this is why I refuse to make my goal 50k xP

Question: do chapter titles and stuff like "chapter 1" count as words? :P

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments ALL WORDS COUNT.

:-D

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Wrote 978 words today during math class, english class, and when my bus broke down xP

Is it okay if absolutely nothing happens in the first chapter for like, 5,000 words? @___@

(Mrs. Gross, what's your plot? :D)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments Annie, nothing has happened in my plot either and it's going to be 5000 words by midnight. Oops.

I'll tell you my plot at the super secret Nano society meeting tomorrow at lunch!

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Okay, just making sure I wasn't completely screwing up a novel format :P

I have a research assessment during lunch tomorrow D: I'll see if I can make it though... (probably not)

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Mrs. Gross, I love the pin and stickers! *w*

I broke 7k today 8D I might have to change my goal, since I'm already 35% done, haha.

There are so many things I want to revise, but I'm resisting. I'm getting the hang of writing-terribly-using-the-same-words-over-and-over-again-and-dragging-out-everything-so-nothing-happens-and-no-transitions-but-oh-well type thing! :D

message 11: by Ruby (new)

Ruby | 1 comments I'm a little confused as to what NaNoWriMo is? I signed up but I'm not really sure what to do... x.x

If someone could explain that to me, I'd be very happy ^^

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments Yay Ruby!

NaNoWriMo is a challenge- write an entire novel in one month. The Young Writer's program (http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/) has a 25000 word goal, so 833 words per day. The adult program is 50000 words in 30 days, or 1667 words per day. It's hard! You have to forget about revising and just write. It forces writers to put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard with no excuses. :)

A few awesome books have come out of NaNoWriMo: The Compound, Water for Elephants, The Night Circus, and lots more! And it's not too late to join in! For the YWP you can set any goal you want, (like Annie!) and just get in the habit of writing. :)

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments 10000 words! I passed the 10000 word mark! YAY!!!

message 14: by K. Anne (new)

K. Anne | 21 comments 12674 words!!!! I love nanowrimo. This is my second year, and I am hoping to get my book published.

message 15: by Vanya (last edited Nov 08, 2011 04:26PM) (new)

Vanya | 3 comments I joined too. Except I only have around 70 words
so far...I'll work on it :)

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Ohmygosh not a good time to get writer's block >___>

Heeeeelllppppp.....

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments Annie, check this out! I've been using the prompts to help me get started. It makes my story get all out of whack, BUT it gets me writing and I've come up with some cool stuff!

http://twitter.com/#!/NaNoWordSprints

message 18: by Ariela (new)

Ariela | 1 comments I have sort of decided to do NaNoWriMo unofficially.
... it feels so weird to be actually writing when it is not mandatory (and when I could be reading Inheritance) :)

message 19: by Sean (new)

Sean | 1 comments :D Go NaNo! Still procrastinating with my idea... I have like three different chunks of writing but I have no idea how to fit them all together in the story :S

Oh, Ariela, throughout the whole month of November, you MUST resist the urge to read! Use that time to write ;)

message 20: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Finally reached 10k! 8D I've never gotten past that before, so it'll be a new record! ^___^

Absolutely nothing has happened yet, but that's not important, right? x3

message 21: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Of course, 10,000 words in, I think of the most amazing plot for a novel.

Alright, time to ditch the old idea and write this new story x3

Can I mash the two stories together for the wordcount? :P

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments Annie, you totally can! I used to force myself not to do that, and then I read Erin Morgansten's pep talk. The Night Circus was her NaNo novel but was really just a lot of random story ideas typed in the same document. So go go go! :)

message 23: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Alright then *w* I really like the new plot idea, and Kat is completely in love. She's been raving everywhere how she's in love with my "genderless child" xD

Ahh, I love this new plot idea, although I'm so bad at writing it... I actually want to write it well rather than fast, so it's hard to get right...

message 24: by K. Anne (new)

K. Anne | 21 comments 20,000 words, it is so wonderful

message 25: by Sarah (last edited Nov 11, 2011 08:58PM) (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments Ugh...I am so far behind!

I just finished 3087 words tonight. I still need 1200 more to get caught up. I have changed POV three times to try and get the story going. I think the third time is the charm, though. The story is flowing pretty well. I just need to know WHAT HAPPENS. I need an ending to work towards. And probably a middle.

Next year, please remind me to plan. Just a little. K?

I will reach 18333 words tonight. Then I will be caught up. And at some point this week I need to get ahead again because I am going away next week!

(And Annie and Kiera, I love the sound of both of your stories!!!)

message 26: by Annie (new)

Annie Shi | 15 comments Wow, you guys and writing so much... xD

Do you think this is a legit excuse for teachers to not give us as much hw? Seriously, I've spent almost 30 hours this break playing, driving to, or at the table tennis club. I haven't started hw yet, and don't plan to until tomorrow, except people will be over my house playing table tennis and that's such a distraction... (not to mention I have lessons tomorrow) TEACHERS GIVE US A BREAK PLEASE! I WANT TO WRITE!

Kat has approved my prologue :P Now I just need to figure out how to start this... Ugh, I am SO bad at non-action beginnings...

Mrs. Gross, I really want to know what yours is about! >___<

message 27: by K. Anne (new)

K. Anne | 21 comments 35,000 words. I am planning to stay one day ahead. I want to hear about some of your plots!

I saw someone said something about Inheritance, a freshmen spoiled it for me, and I am almost glad because I am not going to read it cause of the ending.

message 28: by K. Anne (new)

K. Anne | 21 comments JUST FINISHED NANOWRIMO!!! BE JEALOUS

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gross (thereadingzone) | 34 comments JEALOUS!!!!!!!!

42000 words. I plan to write at least 2000 tonight. I CAN DO THIS!!!

message 30: by K. Anne (new)

K. Anne | 21 comments Good luck Mrs. Gross!