Lois McMaster Bujold Fans discussion

Vorkosigan Universe > Ivan gets his own book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by vorthys (new)

vorthys | 47 comments According to Lois herself, the new Vorkosi..erm...Vorpatril book should be out in about a year.

http://www.myspace.com//loismcmasterb...

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (jcronin) | 15 comments Woo-hoo!

message 3: by kvon (new)

kvon | 8 comments Ooh, you made my day.

message 4: by kvon (new)

kvon | 8 comments From Jo Walton's blog: "Then we had a lovely dinner with Caroline Stevermer, Pat Wrede and Lois Bujold -- who has finished the Ivan book, and even has a title for it: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance."

Although it's not clear to me if that's a final or working title.

message 5: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

vorbore | 284 comments Mod
Final title, and the date for the publication of _Captain Vorpatril's Alliance_ has been set by Baen as November 6th, 2012, according to information on the LMB mailing list.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 12 comments It's now available for preorder on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. B&N has signed editions for an extra buck. Last time a new LMB book came out I went to the B&N store to get it, because I wanted to support the "bricks and mortar" store. I'm not sure if that really makes any difference...I'm eager to get my hands on it!

message 7: by AggieBookLover (new)

AggieBookLover | 2 comments The eARC is up now on www.baenebooks.com. Read it this weekend. Loved it! Much better(IMO) than Cryoburn. More in the style of Komarr and A Civil Campaign.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 12 comments Very tempting but I want the hardback. I can wait (barely).

message 9: by Starthrower50 (new)

Starthrower50 | 8 comments Susan: Thanks for posting that the eARC version was up on Baen. I just started it this afternoon. So far, I agree about liking it more than Cryoburn, which was not enough Barrayar and principal Barrayarrans for my taste. Although I knew it was coming soon, I might not have checked on it for several more weeks, even though I've hit a major drought in my reading material. I've already read all of David Weber's novels (Honor Harrington) and I'm discovering that I like female writers, including (of course) Lois and Mercedes Lackey. Can anyone suggest other authors I might like?

By the way, for those who don't know about this site, nearly all (only exclusion is Memory) of the Miles Vorkosigan novels are available here: http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Lo... I've also found works I've never read from many of my favorite writers, and found a number of new writers whose works I might never have found otherwise.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara (vivianstreet) | 12 comments Starthrower50 wrote: "Can anyone suggest other authors I might like?"

Tanya Huff wrote (or is writing) a military SF series. I read the first two books and liked them. Start with Valor's Choice.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you're looking for in a book. What else have you liked?

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 16 comments Ivan frequently irritated me, especially in A Civil Campaign when he broke his promise not to broadcast about Ekatarin. I wondered how he could be made into the hero. Of course, being Bujold, she pulled it off. Not only Ivan Xav, but Byerly! Now that was a feat of major proportions. It's good that I was reading it in bed when I came to the divorce court scene. I would have fallen off a chair laughing. I love the book, have it in hard copy, CDs and on the IPOD.

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Eng | 1 comments I love Captain Vorpatril's Alliance too. The attempted divorce is sooooooooo funny. I love to play that part of the audiobook for friends and family.