Sci Fi Adventure Club discussion

Group Talk > Doctor Who

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bella (new)

Bella  (ellectric) | 56 comments Mod
How long have you been a Doctor Who fan? What series did you watch first? I jumped on the band wagon during series five,and now I'm backtracking. I watched Series 1 of the new series,and now I'm on Series 3 with the 10th Doctor.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 26 comments Since 1981. Back when my PBS station was showing the Tom Baker (Doc 4) episodes episode by episode weeknights, then the eventually shifted to the full stories and changed nights to Saturdays. The Classic series was typically about 20 episodes per season with stories composed of usually 4 to 6 episodes per story, each episode was 22 minutes. The new series is 1 episode per story (sometimes 2) and aprox. 45 minutes episodes.

Then came The Sci-Fi channel and eventually BBC America (a god send for Doctor Who fans = Whovians)

I vaguely recall during the mid-late 70s one of the major networks playing with having Doctor Who during Jon Pertwee's reign (doc 3). The Vague memories involved UNIT soldiers fighting in a warehouse or most likely my memory was fuzzy and it was one of the Silurian episodes in caves.

Also just before I really got into Doctor Who in the late 70s a local News stand store near me that carried books had the Pinnacle Series of DW books (Pinnacle books were published in the US) I never got any of them back then when I first saw them (was a bit young), but by the mid-80s I had all 10 books.

message 3: by Zerah (new)

Zerah | 5 comments I watched season of the new series and I've been a huge fan ever since. Ten is my favourite Doctor but Eleven is doing really great, too. :)

message 4: by Bella (new)

Kirk wrote: "Since 1981. Back when my PBS station was showing the Tom Baker (Doc 4) episodes episode by episode weeknights, then the eventually shifted to the full stories and changed nights to Saturdays. The C..."
You sound like you're a really hard core DW fan. That's so cool. :)

message 5: by Bella (new)

Zerah wrote: "I watched season of the new series and I've been a huge fan ever since. Ten is my favourite Doctor but Eleven is doing really great, too. :)"
That's really cool, I'm glad to meet other fans on here. It's my favorite Sci-Fi show right now.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 26 comments Elle wrote: "You sound like you're a really hard core DW fan. That's so cool. :)"

Thanks. I've always been into Sci-Fi and am facinated by time-travel stories. I like to consider myself a "Whovian". I have heard Dr. Who fans also called "Wholigans" but that sounds like bad fans or at least younger fans or fans who have only been fans for a year or two.

message 7: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Nov 10, 2011 09:19AM) (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 26 comments I'm more psyched about this book (DW: The Stone Rose) than the Star Trek one. I've read many of the Classic DW Episode novels and a few of the original story novels with Doctors 1 - 8 but I have not yet read any of the Doctor 9 - 11 stories.

BTW there are some excellent short story DW books if you can find them as a few of them have been out-of-print for a few years. Just about any DW book with "Short Trips" as part of the title are good (I think there are about 3 of them "Short Trips", "More Short Trips" etc...) and an older series called "Decalog" (http://www.goodreads.com/series/67320...) The series has 5 books but only the first 3 have DW related stories.