Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Dec nominations

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Please nominate the book you'd like for our group to read during the month of December. We'll poll the group starting Nov 20th.

* I thought we'd get started on this earlier than usual due to the holidays.

message 2: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Happy Snak by Nicole Kimberling

I know, I nominated it a few months ago and it lost. But I still would love to read it. :-)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore AnnaM wrote: "Happy Snak by Nicole Kimberling

I know, I nominated it a few months ago and it lost. But I still would love to read it. :-)"

I want to read that one too.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I'll nominate Tsunami Blue by Gayle Ann Williams

namericanwordcat | 156 comments I have Happy Snak on my TBR so I am good with that one.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Just 2 so far?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to nominate but I'm so new to this genre I don't know enough about it to nominate.

message 8: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments How about: Starcrossed: Perigee

It's available free right now on both Kindle and Nook.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004...

You can get both programs free for your PC, smartphone, or iPod and it's really not hard to read on the iPod/phone as I've been doing it.

message 9: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 345 comments I picked that one up when I realized it was SFR. There's been a slew of free or really low priced SFR coming through on the ezine alerts. I am hoping this means that SFR is poised to take off.

message 10: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I saw that too, Pauline, and thought the same thing! LOL! I haven't been posting all the links because I'm not sure whether some have happy endings or not.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore The poll is up. Sorry for the delay- family issues got in the way of GR time.....

message 12: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I know I voted, but I will probably just read both Happy Snak and Starcrossed: Perigee. I've already read and loved Tsunami Blue.

Michelle, do I need to delete my vote then?

And I have a question. For January I'd love to nominate The Z Word, but it isn't really "romance" unless you add in the second book in the series. So I wondered if it's possible to nominate a two-book combo?

message 13: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 345 comments I got a kick out of Happy Snak and have Starcrossed: Perigree started. I have Tsunami Blue on my TBR pile, but it is Dec. I have done NO shopping and I'm doing edits, so reading...is a bit iffy.

Has anyone seen any Christmas SFR? This time of year, I like anthologies, because I read in snatches. I see Carina Press is planning to release a SF holiday anthology next year, but haven't seen anything SFR Christmas this year. Been mulling what a SFR holiday anthology would be like (though the CP one is not limited to romance or anything).

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments I don't know, Christmas and SFR don't seem to go together in my book. I'm not a fan of holiday themed books in general, but that in combo with SFR just seems.... off.

I just can't wrap my head around a world where there's both space-travel and religious/commercial holidays. I don't see the whole tree thing working in space, and I prefer my SFR either without religion, or with evolved/original religion.

message 15: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 345 comments I'd get a tree from the hydroponics lab. grin. I'm a sucker for holiday stories. :-)

(Looking over the Carina guidelines, it just says holiday, it doesn't actually say which holidays to feature.)

And from a marketing stand point, might be a missed opportunity to tap into a new market for SFR. Matching the familiar (holiday) with the unfamiliar (space) could be a winner. In addition, short stories, anthologies are a proven method to introduce new readers to an author. My publisher released a short steampunk anthology, hoping to intro readers to steampunk and authors. I'm surprised--and yet not surprised--that Carina Press is first to give it a try. (Unless they aren't. LOL!)

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments I think I'd just be way more interested in an invented space holiday than in an existing holiday set in space/the future.

But that's just me probably, I almost loath the sappiness that always comes with these holiday stories.