Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > Black Hawk--Spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2059 comments Mod
I just finished reading Black Hawk and I'm about to reread it. It was such a compelling story that I feel like I missed lots of her amazing nuances and I need to go back and enjoy them (even though three other books I've been longing to read came out this week.)
Has anyone else read it? What did you think?
What worked for you and what didn't?

message 2: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I don't usually comment on other people's review, but one review of TBH bothered me--not because of the low grade but because the reviewer said the book failed to do justice to the relationship between Justine and Adrian. Their relationship is the book. It's a relationship that encompasses all their roles and covers decades. I'm still going WTF on that review.

message 3: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2059 comments Mod
That is very strange. I thought one of the things that made the book particularly strong, and the relationship between them so compelling, was the way that the book starts with the flashback when they first met--long before there was any significant sexual attraction between them--and yet all the things that draw them together are there--their strength and determination to overcome the terrible things that happened to them, Adrian's willingness to let Justine lead even when he's more experienced, and then help her through the parts of the operation she doesn't know how to handle, her deep commitment to her sister and his ability to see how upset she is, to figure out how to help her not break down in front of her sister, and then comfort her afterwards...I completely agree, WTF.
There are so many amazing little bits in there, but I think one of the best is the way she shows how Adrian is comfortable with Justine seeing all the parts of him--from letting his English slip to finally telling her that he prefers gin to brandy--and even drinking gin when he's watching her, afraid to go talk to her. He's so much more romantic than I had expected, actually, that was a big surprise to me. I also really liked when he told Justine that whether they remained lovers was always up to her--thus saying that he was never going to break it off--probably not even realizing that was what he was saying. (And I was also amused and touched by two young Adrian things--when he was 19--being faithful to her but not being willing to admit it under torture, and being under what is clearly a delusion, that Doyle has no idea what his connection to the Police Secrete is. She makes Adrian so tough so young that its nice to see those adolescent bits of him.)
I also can't think of a romance which is so much about the hero and his journey, can you? Romance is so often about the woman...

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments I forgot that this book came out. I'm going to put it on hold at the library. This author is one of the best out there. And I know that she'll live up to my expectations. Thank you both for reminding me that it's out there...And for getting me excited to read it!