Stephen King Fans discussion

The Tommyknockers
This topic is about The Tommyknockers
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > The Tommyknockers

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2548 comments Mod
Discuss Tommyknockers here..

Christopher Jones | 30 comments Basically, this book was a dichotomy of sorts. On one hand it had perhaps the best characters I've ever read in a Stephen King book. I love the intense mental debating Gard does about the ship, it's effects on the world, and more importantly, it's effects on Bobbi.
On the other hand, the pacing is just plain bad. Book 1 is mostly just Gard talking (or yelling, like with Ted the Power Man) or Bobbie revealing a few more inches of the ship. Book 2 doesn't settle on the main characters until near the end and in the meantime we get plenty of backstory for character who might not survive the next twenty pages. Book 3 takes us back to Gard and Bobbi, and there's an awesome action chase, and the finale is something that just seems so perfect considering the circumstances.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments Truthfully, I had a horrible time getting through this book back when I read it. I just thought the storyline was silly.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments It's one of only 2 books by SK I haven't read yet, along with Christine. I put it out on my TBR shelf, going to try and get to it soon, and I know I won't put it down this time :)

Gatorman | 561 comments I know it's not a favorite of a lot of King fans, but I really liked this book.

message 6: by Nukie (new)

Nukie | 8 comments i liked the change of antagonist not completely revealing itself until the end, unlike most of kings books were the antagonist is introduced within the first 100 pages or so. instead it's just this feeling of forboding that seems to grow periodically through the book until the climax....but it is a very slow read....laggin on with brief moments of adreniline just enough to keep you hooked

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) It is slow at the beginning but it still has a soft spot in my heart because it was my first King. ALso who doesn't like Gard and all the little side stories in it like the lady with the tv?

Lena | 91 comments I honestly don't remember this book too well. I read it probably 16 years ago, but it was my first King as well, and I remember loving it at the time. I know it gets a bad rap, but it got me into SK, so I'll always have a certain respect for it. That little 'tommyknockers' poem still runs through my head when I hear trees knocking against the house at night!

Gatorman | 561 comments I'm not sure SK remembers the book too well, either!

Christopher Jones | 30 comments Gatorman wrote: "I'm not sure SK remembers the book too well, either!"
He was on cocaine at the time. =D

message 11: by Todd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 34 comments Been a long time since I've read this one. I know some fans consider it one of his weaker works. It's more in the middle for me. I enjoyed the mystery behind the buried ship and King's signature strength carving out interesting characters.

Gatorman | 561 comments Christopher wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "I'm not sure SK remembers the book too well, either!"
He was on cocaine at the time. =D"

I know, that's what I was refering to. He admits being pretty messed up when writing it.

Miriam | 8 comments I just finished the book and i thought that it was pretty good. The begining was a bit slow but afterwards it was good. I liked the characters and the development of the story.

Dustin Miriam wrote: "I just finished the book and i thought that it was pretty good. The begining was a bit slow but afterwards it was good. I liked the characters and the development of the story."

Thank you, Miriam!!

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments So...I haven't read The Tommyknockers yet, but I own it..Anyways, my husband and I just got back from dinner where they serve about 200 different types of beer. There were three or so which had "Tommyknocker" in the name. My mind immediately thought of S.K. and The Tommyknockers! :)

Gatorman | 561 comments Kathryn wrote: "So...I haven't read The Tommyknockers yet, but I own it..Anyways, my husband and I just got back from dinner where they serve about 200 different types of beer. There were three or so which had "To..."

You should read it, Kathryn, it's one of those underrated King novels. A crazy ride.

Federico (fkandus) This was one of the first books of King that I read. It was ok and it's heavily influenced by King's life at that moment, more specifically, his drug abuse.

Andrea (serialreader13) I've been reading this book for the first time and have about 50 pages to go. I don't feel like this book screams "drug abuse".....to me this seems more like King's version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (which was one of the first movies he ever saw in a theater, if I remember Danse Macabre correctly). There's a lot of depth to the story, in my opinion, and the symbolism goes a lot deeper than just "this guy was high on drugs."

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments I didn't realize King ever did drugs.....wow.

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Andrea wrote: "I've been reading this book for the first time and have about 50 pages to go. I don't feel like this book screams "drug abuse".....to me this seems more like King's version of Invasion of the Body ..."

I agree Andrea. Tommyknockers was my first King novel and I ended up really loving whole sections of the book and characters.

Kathryn yep it didn't come out until 1999/2000 when he'd gotten his addictions kicked. He abused both alcohol and drugs for a long time and the only connection he's ever made between his writing and the abuse was that he doesn't remember writing Cujo at all.

Gatorman | 561 comments King admitted he was on drugs when he wrote this book. Probably explains how wild it is.

Dustin Kathryn wrote: "I didn't realize King ever did drugs.....wow."

Hi, Kathryn-

For more info, I highly recommend On Writing: A Memoir of The Craft. King speaks rather candidly about his addiction.:)

Janie Johnson I am looking forward to reading this book. It seems as though I read it ages ago and just dont remember it.

Christopher Owen | 104 comments Amanda wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I've been reading this book for the first time and have about 50 pages to go. I don't feel like this book screams "drug abuse".....to me this seems more like King's version of Invasi..."

He doesn't remember IT either if my memory serves me right.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (powelljf3) | 8 comments I personally enjoyed Tommyknockers, but it has been years since I have read that book, so I might have glanced over some of the references that would give me a clue now.

message 26: by Rjs (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rjs | 3 comments This si one of King's lesser novels, especially when he goes on and on about the town. I remember reading this when I was in a tent in the Himalayas, unable to sleep. King's books have mapped my life.

message 27: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2548 comments Mod
A new thread was started on this book... please go here to discuss it: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.