Stephen King Fans discussion

The Dark Half
This topic is about The Dark Half
Talk about the Novels > The Dark Half

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2535 comments Mod
Talk about the Dark Half here..

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, it's not one of my favorites but...

Rachel | 701 comments I really liked the idea for this one. I think that won me over for any places where the writing fell flat.

William Malmborg (williammalmborg) | 9 comments I remember enjoying this one and was thinking of reading it again in the near future (been about ten years now). On a side note I always really wished I could read the novels that the pen name in the book had published. They sounded like my kind of tales. I think King should go ahead and write them and have them issued under the George Stark name. It would be cool.

message 5: by Nukie (new)

Nukie | 8 comments really reminded me of secret window secret garden from his four past midnight book, not sure which one came first but it held alot of the same ideas and theories, obviously more expanded in dark half, and honestly secret window was one of the better adaptations made from a SK book since children of the corn

Ajay (ajvp) | 13 comments Finished it just now. I did get to see through SK when it came to the way the ending would go due to the reference of psychochomps a.k.a harbinger of the living dead, but the twin babies part was wonderful. I was always awaiting the reaction of the twin kids everytime rather than the George Stark/Thadeus twin..haha! Enjoyable read though.
Will check out the movie for sure.
Really want to say how bad the movie is even before seeing the movie!

Ajay (ajvp) | 13 comments Kyle wrote: "I read The Dark Half years ago and loved it. It's one of King's better novels because it sticks in my memory.
King fans will notice the inside joke that he's writing about himself and his Bachman..."

Very True Kyle, I think it has a lot to do with the way he paints the entire characters in their details which really makes it memorable.
Bout the Dark Half movie, it did scare me at many places though I knew what was about to happen. Guess Romero has that talent! But missed the scene where Thadeus was driving towards Castle Rock and all the sparrows filled the roads. On the whole a nice movie.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments I loved this when it was released and I read it. What a great concept!

Tyler | 5 comments Haven't watched the movie. I don't want to because I'm afraid I won't like it and it will change my view of the book, which I actually really enjoyed. This was the book that really got me started reading the rest of King's books, so I'm biased towards this book.

Gatorman | 561 comments The movie is pretty good, too, although not as good as the book.

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (dollpartsx3) I didn't like this book :/. Started off good but eventually just lost interest. Couldn't even finish it. I ~like the concept but eh.

message 12: by Tee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tee This is the selection for March! I'm so excited that I started it last night.
It's pace is fantastic. I might just be done by tomorrow! Great story so far! Can't wait to finish it so I can know what's going on!!

message 13: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat (katsobsession) | 40 comments My favorite King book^_^

message 14: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

You can now start discussing... Please mark ALL spoilers!!

message 15: by Lucy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lucy | 6 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "I read The Dark Half years ago and loved it. It's one of King's better novels because it sticks in my memory.
King fans will notice the inside joke that he's writing about himself and his Bachman..."

I read the book years ago too, and look forward to re-reading it for the group read. When I first read it I have to confess that I found the mythology of psychopomps fascinating. And, I think I read in an interview that King did that his experience somewhat mirrored Thad's with regard to someone finding out about his alter ego and "threatening" to expose him. Of course, I don't think his experience was quite as slimy as Thad's was with Clawson...I don't think he was blackmailed..but I could be wrong.

message 16: by Warren (new)

Warren | 4 comments Going to start this book tomorrow. I am currently reading 2 others as well.
Warren

message 17: by Joe (new)

Joe | 41 comments Read this one a long time ago, but really enjoyed it. It's not one of his most popular works, but I think it's one of the cooler ideas he has had. I enjoyed the movie too, in a totally guilty pleasure kind of way

message 18: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Silva | 22 comments I read it about four years ago and liked it very much. The killings are very gruesome! :) The whole concept about the existence of the "Dark Half" is brilliant. I love George Romero but I think it´s not one of his best movies, although it still is a good movie. I like Timothy Hutton´s acting.

message 19: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris King | 152 comments Started to read this (2nd time) about 6 months ago then seemed to misplace it ....whilst cleaning out my car yesterday i found it in the deep dark chasm that is my glove compartment ...the folded page tells me i was about a third of the way through,so i may just start from there ...if that,s aloud?

Steve | 3 comments Reading again now. I last read this one when it was published. Before I was married and before I had a child. Hard to beleive it's been that long ago...and how your perspective changes! I've about 1/4 way through and it is great.

message 21: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris King | 152 comments Wendy & William ...hilarious!!

message 22: by Tee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tee Agreed.

Laima | 14 comments I'm reading this book right now and enjoying it.

message 24: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe Vanfleteren (vanny11) Man there are some crazzzzy deaths in this book! Haha

message 25: by Tee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tee This is one of my favorites!
I'm so glad I read it!
King does it again.

message 26: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe Vanfleteren (vanny11) Man, this book is incredible so far! Surprised I haven't read it yet. I couldn't put it down during the scenes near the beginning with Sherrif Alan at Thad's house!

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments I finished this a few days ago and while it was a good read, in some ways it felt almost too intimate. I really enjoy King's writing and he's talked fairly openly about his own struggles, but TDH felt like part fiction, part memoir and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

message 28: by Liza (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liza (lizawilliams) | 7 comments I'm entertained by how differently I'm enjoying this novel this time. Being an adult, with numerous responsibilities, obligations and experiences, versus being a hardheaded teenager who genuinely thought I was grown...

I'm more focused on the characters interaction than the gore, even though that's fun too. (^_^)

I've recently realized I get my idea of what a marriage's communication should be like largely from Stephen King's novels. I started devouring anything I could find of his in 6th grade, right after my mom divorced.

SK's married couples communicate at a highly functional level. Reading Thad and Liz discuss something so insane as foxy old George Stark in as constructive a manner as possible is impressive...

message 29: by Jojo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jojo Nicholas (mystichaze) | 8 comments Just started it! The Dark Half by Stephen King

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments Liza wrote: "I'm entertained by how differently I'm enjoying this novel this time. Being an adult, with numerous responsibilities, obligations and experiences, versus being a hardheaded teenager who genuinely ..."

That's a great point, Liza. Thad and Liz did seem to communicate pretty well, as do a lot of characters in his novels.

message 31: by Luis (new)

Luis | 18 comments Jojo wrote: "Just started it! The Dark Half by Stephen King"

I wish my edition had that cover!

Ellie Rodriguez (elliebloo) | 24 comments So far so good. I'm almost done. This book is a trip but what King book isn't?

Cindy | 18 comments I read this book years ago and always remembered it. So good. And the movie was so much better than I thought they could make it.

message 34: by Squire (last edited Mar 29, 2013 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments The part about the twins is creepy to the grotesque nth degree! Not my favorite King book, but not anywhere close to my least favorite. I liked it better than 11/22/63!

message 35: by Trent (new)

Trent (stephenkingaddiction) | 152 comments 11/22/63 is awesome

message 36: by Tash (new) - added it

Tash Dahling (misstash) | 79 comments I didn't read this till years after it was published. I really did judge this book by its cover. Mistake!
I really really loved it immensely!

Laima | 14 comments I'm almost finished reading this book. The birds are so creepy!!
George Stark is scary and I really like the sheriff's character. He's a smart old fashioned lawman.

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments Pangborn becomes sheriff of Castle Rock after the events of Cujo; he is also the sheriff in Needful Things and he is mentioned in Bag of Bones.

Ellie Rodriguez (elliebloo) | 24 comments Finished the book. It was good but not the best Stephen king book I ever read.

message 40: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Bradley | 4 comments Thoroughly enjoyed this, one of King's lesser well-knowns I would suggest. Brilliantly macabre death scenes, and Stark really is one nasty piece of work. I particularly enjoyed the finale at the house in the country, it could have gone either way and ultimately I felt the ending was satisfying.
Might well look up the film now, a decaying Stark the main draw!
Cheers,
Jim.

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 25 comments I'm a little late on this but I just finished the book today and I friggin LOVED it -- particularly, I really really enjoyed George Stark; I mean truly what a dark, yet charming and powerful character. I am a huge fan of SK's writing and his humorous style. I also liked the idea of the sparrows, it really gave the story an extra chill factor. Great group pick!

message 42: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Jul 10, 2013 12:26PM) (new)

I am pretty excited. I scored this book through my local Little Free Library. These libraries are so fun and you should visit your local one if you haven't before. Here is a link to what it is.. and you can find the map of registered libraries on their website. http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/
I was actually just bringing books to donate when I opened the box there was a King book. Total score!

message 43: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris King | 152 comments Now you get to see what my pic was all about.

Shannon (shannondisbell) | 51 comments bought this book the other day use for 50% now i am starting to read it

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 25 comments Angie wrote: "I am pretty excited. I scored this book through my local Little Free Library. These libraries are so fun and you should visit your local one if you haven't before. Here is a link to what it is....."

Angie, that is the friggin cutest thing ever! I love the idea!

Scott Nicholson (scottnicholson) | 20 comments Not one of my top favorites but still a great book.

Aditya Just finished it & yet another King book which was good but I felt could have been nearly perfect had some parts of it been edited & the ending been stronger. The book initially built up a lot of tension only to destroy it by describing the same situations from two different character's (Thad BeauMont & George Stark) POVs, nevertheless still better than most books in the same genre.

message 48: by Lucy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lucy | 2 comments I've just read the Dark Half as I'm raking through older novels I missed years ago. It was good, but it could have been scarier

Anarchic Rain | 56 comments this was my first SK book, I was 12...since then, I've loved every word come from him.

Aditya Lucy wrote: "I've just read the Dark Half as I'm raking through older novels I missed years ago. It was good, but it could have been scarier"

I felt it was more of a supernatural thriller rather than a straight up horror novel maybe that is why it is less scary.

« previous 1