The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Nov 02, 2011 03:59PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10025 comments Mod
Mark your spoilers using the spoiler html code in the upper left corner of the comment box.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello! Anyone reading this book? I'm on page 50 or so--hoping that I can get through the rest by the end of this month but my schedule is a bit busy. It's been a great read so far! Just wanted to see if anybody else is reading as well!

message 3: by Karen M (last edited Nov 07, 2011 04:57PM) (new)

Karen M | 1948 comments I'm on page 172. I'm enjoying it but for some reason I keep going to other books. I guess maybe it's not what I thought it would be? Anyway, I will keep on reading!

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments I read this earlier in the year and was blown away. Loved the narrative - found the whole thing very moving. Hope you all stick with it and enjoy as I did.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 26, 2011 01:32PM) (new)

I finished the book last night, and I am hoping others are ready to discuss it. I resisted reading Middlesex when it was first published because it didn't seem very interesting to me, despite all the accolades it received. Really, why would I want to read a book about a hermaphrodite? However, TNBBC and my local book club chose to read it in November, so it was time for me to get on with it. I liked everything about the book.

The book is about three generations of a Greek-American family and the social history of Detroit, not just about a hermaphrodite. It is a fascinating story. The character development is strong; I feel that I know each member of the family so well that I understand the reasoning behind their decisions, no matter how unwise. I especially like Cal, of course, but Desdemona is also a great character.

I look forward to discussing it with the group.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Barlow | 101 comments I read this book a few months ago following suggestions on this site. It is not the kind of book that I would normally read but I really liked it. The beginning in itself is captivating. Once I had started it I couldn't put it down. I hope everyone who is reading it enjoys it as much as me.

message 7: by Serenity (new)

Serenity | 24 comments I just bought the audiobook version, I'm really excited to listen to it! Although it's 21+ hours, so it's going to take me awhile to get through it...

There's all this hype right now surrounding the author's new book, so whether or not I'll be checking that one out depends on how much I like this one.

message 8: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1948 comments I've made it to page 290. I am enjoying this book but still feel like I'm pushing myself to read it. I'm reading another book at the same time and I guess I'd just rather read that book, The Bird Sisters, but the ironic thing is they are both about generations of families. Well, I'll keep at it an hopefully finish soon.

message 9: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments I seem to remember going about halfway through this one - about a year ago. It's something I intend to pick up again.

Guess you folks that like this kind of story, also enjoyed Orlando.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephyblue) | 4 comments I just finished it today. I've owned that book for a couple of years now, but I never read it until now. I guess there was always some other book I'd rather read, and I kept putting it off until I saw it was this month's group read. I was blown away. It was not at all what I was expecting, so I was happily surprised. I strongly recommend it.

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments Carly - Although Orlando may be about someone knowing that they are different gender than born. There is nothing else like Orlando in this story. It's so much better and not at all romanticized. Our Middlesex character is not dying for adventure romance etc. This character wants to feel accepted by both internally and externally.

message 12: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1948 comments I finished the book last night. Have to say it was very good. Desdemona was my favorite character and I loved her reappearance at the end of the book, she kind of put the whole thing into perspective. Family is always family.

message 13: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments This is something I never finished - dunno why - probably did it when I was in the midst of all that hoopla with War and Peace.

I'll put it down to read it again.

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) I really loved this one. When I finished it, I remember thinking that this could easily have a sequel. It felt like a new and very interesting story was just starting when the novel ended.

message 15: by Serenity (new)

Serenity | 24 comments Finally finished it. My review here. The audio version was fantastic, I really enjoyed the narrator! And I was super bummed when (view spoiler).

message 16: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments I just started this book. I mostly follow this book choice for a month, but, months later. I'm listening audio version, and agree with Serenity: it's really good version and I enjoy narrators reading- it's very captivating. But I just made 15 minutes so far, so it' not jet qualified for any opinion.

message 17: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments Read it! didn't expect it to be so excellent!

message 18: by Serenity (new)

Serenity | 24 comments Glad you loved the audio version of this book too :)

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 33 comments Was this a group read in March?

message 20: by Yuliya (last edited Mar 31, 2013 08:39PM) (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments It was November 2011 read - based on dates of firs posts