Stephen King Fans discussion

Rose Madder
This topic is about Rose Madder
Talk about the Novels > Rose Madder

Comments Showing 1-50 of 215 (215 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2547 comments Mod
Post discussions about Rose Madder here...

Zachariah (labelsr4clothes) | 5 comments I don't understand why Rose Madder is so over looked and disliked! It is my favorite Stephen King book (However, it appears I favor his 'flops').
The depth in this book is unbelievable. Rose Daniels is his most good-hearted and personable character. Norman on the overhand, he is my most feared King monster! Getting to actually see inside his mind, when the story is being told from his point-of-view, has to give you chills.
Many say that they like the book up until the 'supernatural element'. Sure, many feel that there is a lack of connection but when I finished the book I had a good amount of time to reflect and find my own means of understanding.
My only problem with this book is the ending--to be left spoiled free. I just wish Rose, herself, didn't more. To show us how much she grew.

Christopher Zacher (zacher2005) | 10 comments I read it, I own it, but I barely remember it, which is not good.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Rose Madder was my second King book, and to this day, I still love it. I want to read it again some day.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I liked this one, both times I read it. Or was it 3 times? Either way, it was one I really liked, the characters, the setting and the plot, all was good for me, even (and maybe especially) the 'supernatural' bits.

Gatorman | 561 comments I liked it, didn't love it. Just wasn't a grabber. The supernatural part didn't fit in the book. Norman is a great bad guy, though.

Courtney | 293 comments Norman is one of the scariest bad guys I've ever encountered in any book, ever.

message 8: by Tia (new) - added it

Tia | 3 comments I juts bought my copy. I can't wait to start reading it! I'll be back with a review!

Lena | 91 comments This is one that just didn't grab me. I didn't dislike the supernatural bits in particular, I just didn't really connect. I tend to like his earlier works better, though.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Tia wrote: "I juts bought my copy. I can't wait to start reading it! I'll be back with a review!"

Hope you enjoy it! Rose's story has stayed with me since I first read it in November. :)

Danielle | 8 comments This is one of my favorites, and I was surprised when I joined the group just last week that there were no comments here. Now there are. Yay! I hesitated before because I feel like I need to re-read the novel before going too in depth. It's been four years, though I've read it twice. I enjoy when King ventures into the world of painting, both here and in Duma Key. I also appreciate the mythology. I'm a mythology fanatic too, and Rose as Ariadne is pretty awesome.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Jennifer wrote: "I am nearing the end of Rose Madder and having read most of SK's books, I am ashamed that I am only just reading it. I have found the story powerful, gripping me from the very beginning. Rose Dani..."

I felt the same way! Her story is very powerful to me. I am SO glad it was the second SK book I read.

Felina I didn't really like this one. It was one of the first handful of Kings books that I picked up when I first found King. To me Kings books are all relative. It was a good book compared to books in general but not compared to his other works. And the supernatural parts were the only parts I liked. To me, Rose wasn't that likable of a character. I found myself angry with her often.

Steve | 247 comments All I remember was Viva Za Bull...and the Dark Tower connection! My wife and I actually read this together and enjoyed it.

Danielle | 8 comments So, I am re-reading it, and I took the time to look up the little song (I love King's 'soundtracks.') I don't know if this will turn out to be a clickable link, but if not just copy and paste. It's a great big deal...
http://youtu.be/WWR3iqjvt9k

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments "Rose Madder" is one of my deepest loves as far King books go. It's extremely difficult at the best of times for a man to write convincing woman, or convincingly from a female point of view. King doesn't always succeed (although even his non-successes are better than 90% of other male writers.) But he succeeded deeply and beautifully with this book.

★ Jess  | 49 comments This was the first King book I ever read, back when I was in year 8. It was probably a little early, but I still enjoyed it quite a lot. It was intense and to this day Norman is still one of the scariest King villain's I've read.

Also, the character Cynthia is also in Desperation.

message 18: by Todd (last edited Jun 25, 2012 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 34 comments Just finished reading this one for the first time and gave it four stars. I thought King was going to play it straight and then in the middle of the book--wham!--he goes all Rod Serling's Night Gallery. I wondered what this 40 or 50 odd pages had to do with the rest of the story, but King brings it around by the end. Loved the D&S Picnic scene with Gert!

Oh and one spoiler tie-in to another King book that was cool (don't read this unless you've read The Dead Zone and finished Rose Madder): (view spoiler)

message 19: by Dustin (last edited Jul 09, 2012 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin Danielle wrote: "So, I am re-reading it, and I took the time to look up the little song (I love King's 'soundtracks.') I don't know if this will turn out to be a clickable link, but if not just copy and paste. It..."

Hi, Danielle-

Thank you very much for sharing. I really appreciate that.

Rose Madder is an all-time favorite of mine, as well. I loved every word. About 8 years ago, I read it for the 2nd time, and my love for it grew even more. I didn't think such a thing were possible.
The first time around, I obviously didn't pick up on all the DT connections because at the time, I hadn't taken the journey yet.

message 20: by Nik (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nik (wittykitty13) | 7 comments I read it less than a year ago and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I think that some SK readers are uncomfortable when he ventures out into new territory. If the book had been ALL supernatural as opposed to a mix of supernatural and everyday evils then there would have been more fans. I usually don't try to pigeonhole him I read each book for what it is.

Christine W. •  Teena Reid (teenareid84) | 4 comments Zachariah wrote: "I don't understand why Rose Madder is so over looked and disliked! It is my favorite Stephen King book (However, it appears I favor his 'flops').
The depth in this book is unbelievable. Rose Danie..."

I completely agree, it was overlooked. It was a good read overall, a page-turner. But, I also agree on the point, the ending, wasn't to the extent you wanted it, I guess you could say. *Trying For No Spoilers*

Ana A (anabana_a) Danielle wrote: "So, I am re-reading it, and I took the time to look up the little song (I love King's 'soundtracks.') I don't know if this will turn out to be a clickable link, but if not just copy and paste. It..."

Thank you for including the link! I've been wanting to search it but it kept slipping my mind.

Rose Madder is my first Stephen King book so it undoubtedly has a special place in my heart. I've read it three or four times already. I do wonder why not a lot of people like it. Even Stephen King himself doesn't seem to think so highly of it.

message 23: by Casey (new)

Casey H (cgh7) | 3 comments I think "Rose Madder" is King's most underrated book. My only wish is that he had kept some of the supernatural elements out of it, because I feel the story stands very well on the horrors of domestic abuse itself. If you notice, "Rose Madder" was published in '95, about the time King was moving away from a lot of horror elements. I've sometimes wondered if "Rose Madder" would have looked a lot different had he produced it a few years later.

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Casey - I definitely agree that "Rose Madder" is underrated badly. I LOVE this book.... and I agree with you that, published today, the book would undoubtedly have a larger reading audience.

Matthew Behling (MattyKB) | 109 comments Rose Madder has always been one of the few SK works that I've gone back to and re-read with as much horrific delight as I did the first time. I can understand why it is so under-rated for two reasons. First, it was published after Insomnia which is pretty undecipherable if you're not up to date on your Dark Tower mythology (which I admit lost me as well), which probably lost King a number of fairweather readers. Second, as far as King books go, aside from the small (dare I say) supernatural plotline, this book is his most straightforward and relies more on simplicity than complicated storytelling. While it may not be his most literary work, the character of Rose is one of his most compelling. There is a truth to her that resonates with the reader in a profound way.

message 26: by Dean (new)

Dean Henryson (dean_henryson) | 8 comments Although I love King, I had to stop reading it halfway through. I did not connect, as some of the other posters spoke of, probably because I felt like he kept losing me, rattling on and on about things that didn't seem to matter; and the action seemed to wane.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Matthew wrote: "Rose Madder has always been one of the few SK works that I've gone back to and re-read with as much horrific delight as I did the first time. I can understand why it is so under-rated for two reaso..."

I haven't read Insomnia, but Rose Madder was the second King book I read. I heard a lot of people didn't like Rose Madder, but I loved it. There was a 'real' quality to it when it came the psychological aspects of someone who had been abused by their spouse. I'm glad to see someone else liked Rose Madder. I thought it was fantastic. It definitely deserve a re-read in the future from me. :)

message 28: by Dean (last edited Dec 02, 2012 02:59PM) (new)

Dean Henryson (dean_henryson) | 8 comments Kathryn wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Rose Madder has always been one of the few SK works that I've gone back to and re-read with as much horrific delight as I did the first time. I can understand why it is so under-rat..."

The one thing I truly loved about the book was the female perspective and the males perspective of domestic violence were extremely realistic and well thought out. It seemed like I was right there with her, going through her torments as well. As an author of a female lead role in my book, Fierce Peace, writing the female perspective as a male was one of my bigger challenges.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Dean wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Rose Madder has always been one of the few SK works that I've gone back to and re-read with as much horrific delight as I did the first time. I can understand why it..."

It's interesting you say that about writing from the female perspective because I thought King did it so well in Rose Madder. I think it is a difficult thing for men to do, and (and vice versa) when an author can pull it off so seemingly easily, it makes the perspective more believable. I thought I was there with Rosie, too, watching everything she went through, but like a bystander.

Dustin Personally, I don't get why a lot of readers complain about King not being able to write female characters, because I think he does a superb job!

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Honestly, in The Dark Tower series, I didn't think Susannah was all that well written. For me, there was something missing from her character. I guess when I compare her to Rosie in Rose Madder, I definitely think her character was lacking compared to Rosie's story. It could also be I didn't care much for Susannah's character, but I think if it wasn't lacking *something*, I probably would have liked her character more.

In Dolores Claiborne, my gosh...King did a superb job with her character. I felt like I knew her, she was real, and could definitely picture her as I read.

Same thing with Rosie. I felt like I've met versions of her before.

I think it all really depends on the story, whether she is a lead/main character or just a secondary character. And also, how well she is defined. In Susannah's case, I didn't think she was all that well-developed and lacked a quality I think Dolores and Rosie definitely had.

And also, we were saying male authors in general don't write female characters well, sometimes. I think King does a better job than most male authors.

This is all my opinion, so whatevs.

message 32: by Dustin (last edited Dec 04, 2012 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin That's an excellent point about Susannah Dean's character, Kathryn. Thank you. And while I tend to agree that Rosie and Dolores were more fully-developed, I can picture Susannah quite well. I felt like I was right there alongside her, and sympathized with her.

Like you said, to each their own.

Nicole (nicolekitter) I completely agree Zachariah! Rose Madder is one of my favorites. :)

message 34: by Mal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mal (keeno82uk) | 65 comments I thought it was a great book and the climax at the end was epic. :¬)

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Brandon (new) - added it

Brandon (brandoandco) | 13 comments I really want to read this because Cynthia, from Desperation is in it.

message 36: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat (katsobsession) | 40 comments Norman is one of the creepiest King villains, and I think this book has some great depth, in large part due to him.

Dustin Nicole wrote: "I completely agree Zachariah! Rose Madder is one of my favorites. :)"

Hi, Nicole!:)

It's a favorite of mine, as well!

Jessica Biggs (jessicabiggs) It's been a decade since I read Rose Madder, but it has always resonated with me. I'm re- reading it now after spending 8 years working with domestic violence survivors. It takes on a whole new perspective. King writes and understands domestic violence more realistically than any modern writer I know of.

Dustin Jessica wrote: "It's been a decade since I read Rose Madder, but it has always resonated with me. I'm re- reading it now after spending 8 years working with domestic violence survivors. It takes on a whole new per..."

Wow, that's surely made a HUGE impact of you, Jessica!

James Loftus I started a new thread on an already existing topic. Sorry.

But loving that so many enjoy this book as much as i do.

Heisenberg57 | 17 comments How is this not a movie yet?!! Incredible story!

message 42: by Betsy (new) - added it

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments I really enjoyed ROSE MADDER, probably more so in the first half of the book. I felt so much tension/fear just thinking about what "might" happen to Rose as she was escaping. I worried about her a lot and often, thinking of her throughout my day, the fear that she felt constantly about Norman coming after her and.... I especially liked that King took us "inside" her head / loved her thoughts:
"I felt like an animal too long in a cage."
"If this goes on, he'll kill me." "He's going to find me.... because that is what he does."
"Crazy joy filled her heart." I think that King nailed it with Rose!

And, boy did I cheer when she took Norman's ATM card and actually used it, then put it into a trash barrel. She did some smart things for someone who really hadn't "lived" in the world, eh?

What were your feelings toward our abused Rose and her lunge for freedom?

Kandice | 3970 comments I think my very favorite part of this book is how King took Norman's abuse (view spoiler)

message 44: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
We'll just set this up here then.

Here's the Rose Madder group discussion. Remember to mark all spoilers. Unmarked spoilers will be deleted.

Victor I read this a couple months ago. It definitely made my top 10. I feel like I flew through this book. Norman is crazy and all the connections to other books is the best to read about!

Luciana Damasceno (lucydamasceno) | 77 comments I have just started reading this book for the first time. I love the way he deals with the female perspective of domestic abuse so far, disturbing as usual.

message 47: by Tara (new)

Tara Harrison | 13 comments I vaguely remember reading this years ago. It is coming back but not all. Great book to start put the new year.

message 48: by Tara (new)

Tara Harrison | 13 comments Also when Rosie is on the bus and she hears a mother and boy talking, could it have been the mom and boy from cujo?

message 49: by Betsy (new) - added it

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments Chapter II is called "The Kindness of Strangers" ; this is where Peter, the Travelers' Aid volunteer , gave Rose an address of a shelter for battered women. I believe wholeheartedly in the kindness of strangers.
Has your experience reinforced this or would you be much more cautious/ cynical / careful ?? Did you find it strange that Rose seemed so willing to accept the many kindnesses of strangers?

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) | 46 comments Chris wrote: "We'll just set this up here then.

Here's the Rose Madder group discussion. Remember to mark all spoilers. Unmarked spoilers will be deleted."
Chris, that link just takes you to the Rose Madder general page. I assume that isn't right?

« previous 1 3 4 5