Stephen King Fans discussion

Talk about the Novels > From a Buick 8

Comments Showing 1-50 of 133 (133 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2577 comments Mod
Discuss the novel here...

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris King | 152 comments Might do a re read of this to get more comments in this lonely wee thread.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I found this novel was almost a rip off of his earlier novel Christine. I enjoyed it, but I'm surprised that King wrote two books about possessed cars.

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Kyle wrote: "I found this novel was almost a rip off of his earlier novel Christine. I enjoyed it, but I'm surprised that King wrote two books about possessed cars."

I saw certain similarities in the two, as well, Kyle, but I wouldn't call it a rip off of Christine.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Dustin wrote: "Kyle wrote: "I found this novel was almost a rip off of his earlier novel Christine. I enjoyed it, but I'm surprised that King wrote two books about possessed cars."

I saw certain similarities in ..."

Not so much a rip off as very similar. He could have written something more original.

It certainly reminded me a lot of Christine.

message 6: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments This book has been discussed in other threads like most underrated and favorite King books. I personally think this is one of King's most underrated works. He handles multiple narrators flawlessly and keeps the suspense going non-stop, along with getting to the heart of each of his characters in very short space. Arguably, not a lot happens, but I think this is one his 21st century masterpieces (along with Lisey's Story and The Colorado Kid). I find it quite different from Christine.

message 7: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (mesdupmoi) | 76 comments From a Buick 8 was the first Stephen King I ever read, and it got me hooked on King :)

message 8: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Kyle wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Kyle wrote: "I found this novel was almost a rip off of his earlier novel Christine. I enjoyed it, but I'm surprised that King wrote two books about possessed cars."

I saw certain s..."

Yeah, I see what you're saying, and it certainly reminded me of Christine, as well. But with those similarities, I think there are just as many (if not more,) differences.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombeebeezee) I liked both books but there are enough differences between them to keep my interest. I liked Buick 8 more than Christine. All just personal preferences, I know. :) I think that what is happening in my life at any particular time influences my book interests and how well I like certain books. I read Christine at a much younger age than I was when I read Buick 8. I liked SK's books when I was younger but his writing has "grown on me", so to speak as I've earned more wisdom. ? ... Make sense to anyone else?

message 10: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Barbara wrote: "I liked both books but there are enough differences between them to keep my interest. I liked Buick 8 more than Christine. All just personal preferences, I know. :) I think that what is happeni..."

Makes perfect sense to me, Barbara!:)

message 11: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Squire wrote: "This book has been discussed in other threads like most underrated and favorite King books. I personally think this is one of King's most underrated works. He handles multiple narrators flawlessly ..."

I couldn't agree with this more. Perfectly said, I thought this one was quietly great, and left me with all kinds of things to ponder.

message 12: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Squire wrote: "This book has been discussed in other threads like most underrated and favorite King books. I personally think this is one of King's most underrated works. He handles multiple narrators flawlessly ..."

Very nicely said, Squire!

message 13: by David (new)

David Nunn | 2 comments I have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as other king books the same with Christine to be honest, I really like his more violent and dark novels. I feel he plods somewhat with certain novels that feel like fillers in between his big/epic pieces.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara Campbell (admiralawesome) | 26 comments I just started reading From a Buick 8 today. Read the first "chapter." I read mixed reviews of the book on here but so far, I like it.

message 15: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Silva | 22 comments Aaron-{{Everlast}}-Rebel Leader wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Kyle wrote: "I found this novel was almost a rip off of his earlier novel Christine. I enjoyed it, but I'm surprised that King wrote two books about possessed cars."

I saw certain s..."

What a relief. I am not the only one who thinks like that. I am beginning to read it and everytime I wonder why he wrote a book so familiar to Christine. That is not stopping me for enjoying it, though.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Leoni | 180 comments on my worst King books list....doesn't make any sense

message 17: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Silva | 22 comments Carlos wrote: "Aaron-{{Everlast}}-Rebel Leader wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Kyle wrote: "I found this novel was almost a rip off of his earlier novel Christine. I enjoyed it, but I'm surprised that King wrote two books..."

Now that I finished reading I changed my mind! I enjoyed it very much! And it´s only in the beginning that you think it´s too much similar do Christine. As a caracter says in the book, the car here is more like a symbol...

message 18: by Liam (new)

Liam Gapa | 7 comments just started this book if any one wants to buddy read so far it reminds me of Herbie

message 19: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Gordon | 1 comments I enjoyed it.... A lot
I read the book was an allegory of the twin towers and how life simply continues in for the rest of us after such a phenomena happens.
How it's still day to day living and so on.

I loved it.
There seemed to he questions left unanswered but I think that's one of the major themes.

Its there. Regardless why or from where it came.

message 20: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 50 comments I thought it correlated with the dimension of The Dark Tower Series and the cars of the low men from Hearts In Atlantis. Did anybody else think this?

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4084 comments Nikki wrote: "I thought it correlated with the dimension of The Dark Tower Series and the cars of the low men from Hearts In Atlantis. Did anybody else think this?"

Absolutely!

message 22: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 50 comments Thanks Kandice! Some people posted comments comparing the Buick to Christine, but other than the fact that they're both cars I don't see similarities. I also seem to remember a short story about a car abandoned on the side of the road that was like the Buick- it sucked people into it. I can't remember the name of the story though. I think From A Buick Eight has very vivid scenes, such as when the bird flies out of the trunk and they have to trap it and kill it.

message 23: by Vykki (new)

Vykki (wikkimom) | 15 comments I really enjoyed the book

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4084 comments Nikki wrote: "Thanks Kandice! Some people posted comments comparing the Buick to Christine, but other than the fact that they're both cars I don't see similarities. I also seem to remember a short story about a ..."

I have to look it up, but I think it was an ebook he published. Something short...

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (queenjaneapproximately) | 30 comments Nikki wrote: "Thanks Kandice! Some people posted comments comparing the Buick to Christine, but other than the fact that they're both cars I don't see similarities. I also seem to remember a short story about a ..."

I believe it was Mile 81. I remember it was only published as an e-book, so I had to read it on my iPhone since I don't have an e-reader.

message 26: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4084 comments That's it!

message 27: by Steven (new)

Steven | 2 comments I'm just about to finish Bag of Bones and then Buick 8 is next on my list. I bought a bulk collection of King books I haven't read and I'm (rapidly it seems) working my way through them. I'm i trifled by the comments here but not going to read anymore in fear of spoilers. But I'll be back very soon with my own thoughts on the book!

message 28: by Steven (new)

Steven | 2 comments *that was meant to read 'I'm intrigued' not 'i trifled' (!?!)

message 29: by E. (new)

E. | 242 comments lol #damnyouautocorrect

message 30: by Chad (new)

Chad Lorion (goodreadscomcmichaellorion) Love this book. Way underrated, one of King's best.

message 31: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4084 comments I am about halfway through a re-read and can't understand why I didn't enjoy it more last time. It's very, very good. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood.

It always feels like the gift of an unexpected novel when I re-read a book and like it more.

message 32: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4051 comments Kandice wrote: "I am about halfway through a re-read and can't understand why I didn't enjoy it more last time. It's very, very good. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood.

It always feels like the gift of an unexpe..."

Great point, Kandice. So far my score on re-reads is that they all seem better the next time through. Since I was disappointed with Buick 8 on my first read, I've added it to the re-read pile... along with Desperation.

message 33: by Vykki (new)

Vykki (wikkimom) | 15 comments I too loved this book

message 34: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4084 comments I think part of why I re-read so often is that mood so strongly influences our experience of and feelings for a book.
I am absolutely enjoying Buick 8 this time. It's mostly character drawing which is my favorite King talent.

The story seems almost inconsequential.

message 35: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 50 comments Thanks @Amanda I did read it on my kindle and really enjoyed it.

message 36: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Burrup | 28 comments I read this one earlier this year and probably should have commented sooner after reading it than now. It honestly took me a few minutes as well as reading other comments to remember the details of the book other than the basic premise. I thought the story was interesting and as always I enjoy a tie-in to the Dark Tower universe. It wasn't one that I'd add to my top ten favorites of SK but I will say that it was and entertaining read.

message 37: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevop) | 189 comments I'm reading From a Buick 8 at the moment because its our March group read and because another Goodreads SK Constant Reader recommended it - a pretty great opportunity to read and discuss it with everyone I figured!

I got Buick 8 when it first came out and have tried to read it twice. I mentioned in the currently reading thread that I didn't get through it because the negative reviews at the time influenced how I approached the book - I was pre-programmed to believe it was boring, a waste of time, and that now, post van crash, SK had lost his magic.

I'm now further than ever before into the book (a good third of the way) and its great stuff. Its making me feel super uneasy and not because anything gruesome or gory has happened (yet?) but because imagine this happened... a car from another world... it would make you rethink ALL your perceptions about this world/ universe we live in. For some reason this aspect has really gotten into my gut.

How's everyone else finding it? I know from the currently reading thread a few other Constant Readers have started reading too.

message 38: by Terri (new)

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 149 comments Stevo wrote: "I'm reading From a Buick 8 at the moment because its our March group read and because another Goodreads SK Constant Reader recommended it - a pretty great opportunity to read and discuss it with ev..."

This was one I thought I wouldn't like, but it's surprisingly close to one of my favorites, especially with the slight Dark Tower connection, as Brandon said. I've wondered if the man who left the car could have been, in fact, Randall Flagg? Anyone else have any insight on this?

message 39: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevop) | 189 comments It must be. He's described as 'the man in the black coat and hat' after all. I can just imagine Flaggy dropping the Buick off just to let mayhem unfold.

message 40: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 921 comments I think I am half-way through reading this and I am liking it so far.

I was thinking the same thing the driver was Flagg.

I like the mystery and we are slowing being told things but aren't any closer to what is going on (if we ever get closer). The things we are finding out are rather creepy, that's for sure.

message 41: by Terri (new)

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 149 comments Stevo wrote: "It must be. He's described as 'the man in the black coat and hat' after all. I can just imagine Flaggy dropping the Buick off just to let mayhem unfold."

Me, too, Stevo, in that cheeky way of his. :)

message 42: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevop) | 189 comments I'm almost done with Buick and its been great. I don't understand why it gets such a bad rep at all.

message 43: by Steven (last edited Mar 06, 2016 04:40AM) (new)

Steven (stevop) | 189 comments I finished and the ending was not a disappointment - it is completely fine. I'm ok with there being some (ok, a lot of) mystery about who left the Buick and its origins but it doesn't detract from the story and the feelings it managed to stir up in me as I read.

Some vague spoilers and musings: (view spoiler)

From a Buick Gr8, more like!

message 44: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 921 comments I finished the book last night. I liked it and enjoyed the strange mystery surrounding the car. The book wasn't a fast read for me though. Not sure if it was lack of reading time and some nights I was too tired. I had a hard time focusing on the story when I was reading. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannondisbell) | 51 comments i really liked this one i read it last month some of my friends hated it but i loved it alot

message 46: by James (new)

James | 31 comments I am about 80% through the book and haven't really liked it so far. Then I came to this part (view spoiler) . How do you make that kind of stuff up? I laughed so hard my eyes watered.

message 47: by Maria (new)

Maria Gutier (mariagutier1) | 7 comments I am just starting it today and I have to say, I am already hooked. I am enjoying the pace. I also am enjoying the mystery thus far surrounding where the car came from and the supposed danger. Interested to see where this goes. I feel this will be a quick enjoyable read for me.

message 48: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments This was my first time reading this and I loved it. I think King does a great job writing both everyday, quiet characters and the relationships between people, and this highlighted both those strengths. I felt like I was there with the troopers, hanging out on a sunny afternoon and listening to everyone contribute to the story. It was pretty damn fantastic.

This makes me wonder, though, how much overlap there is between people who like King's horror writings and those who like his character-driven writings. If you're expecting one and get the other, I can see why people would be disappointed.

If anyone's interested in the audiobook, I highly recommend it. There are several different narrators and they all do a great job. (And they do a great job with Arky's accent, which was pretty entertaining.)

message 49: by Reanna (new)

Reanna (reannareads) | 12 comments First time reading this and honestly just picked it up from the library because I saw it was this month's read for the group. I'm about halfway through it and I'm finding myself wanting the story to hurry up already but hopefully it's going to pick up some pace on the back end. I hope anyway! My next King read is The Cell. :)

message 50: by Jo (new)

Jo Francis | 6 comments Esse wrote: "This was my first time reading this and I loved it. I think King does a great job writing both everyday, quiet characters and the relationships between people, and this highlighted both those stren..."

I agree, Esse. This book is more about people, their emotions, feeling and interactions - something that SK writes so well about, and one of the things I love about his writing. I think this is a good piece about coping with grief too - a young man looking for a reason and someone to blame for the loss of his father.

« previous 1 3