Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 210 (210 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments I don't know if you'd call this series 'kick-arse' :) I own the series and have read two of them and found them both nice reads. Not explosive in anyway. More like a gentle crawl.
Dissolution (Matthew Shardlake, #1) by C.J. Sansom Dark Fire (Matthew Shardlake, #2) by C.J. Sansom Sovereign (Matthew Shardlake #3) by C.J. Sansom Revelation (Matthew Shardlake, #4) by C.J. Sansom Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake 5) by C.J. Sansom

Dissolution
Dark Fire
Sovereign
Revelation
Heartstone

p.s sorry for the bookcovers AND the book links. I always double up because when you do 'group discussion searches the book won't come up if it is only a bookcover..hence..the link as well..:)

message 2: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak I've never been particularly interested in Tudor England ... this was also the time period where I stopped reading The Isles, the history of British Isles by Norman Davies. I found the politics of the English Reformation and Restoration extremely dense and tedious, and even Davies, who is generally an accessible historical writer, could not break through the density of the period for me. The subsequent tribulations of Elizabeth's reign didn't spark much curiosity either.

Ironically, my interest in that period of English history changed slightly with The Tudors, the TV series. Maybe a "gentle crawl" is exaaaaactly what I need to get excited about the Tudor period >8)

ib.

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments I have never had a huge interest in Tudor England either. Well, not in the nobility anyway. There is much that interests me about the food and way of life, farming, architecture etc....

I was the opposite to you though with the TV series. I didn't like Jonathan Rhys Myers as Henry and what little I did read about Henry before dried up after watching a couple seasons of The Tudors. It completely turned me off. lol

message 4: by David (new)

David Pilling (robeh) | 2 comments I really disliked The Tudors...whilst at the same time enjoying it, in an utterly trashy, enjoyable nonsense sort of way.

Why do they always dramatise the Tudors, anyway? Surely Henry VIII and his six knives have been done to death. The BBC should do a series on the Planatagenets, much more interesting! My vote goes to Edward III, starring Daniel Craig...

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Anything starring Daniel Craig actually!!!

I love Tudor England and I wasn't that partial to the show. I'd like something about William the Conqueror, it would be curious to see how they dramatised him.

message 6: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 05, 2011 03:25PM) (new)

Terri | 19506 comments I'm all for Daniel Craig in a movie from any period of history as long as it involves him getting his kit off.
just sayin'

Oh yes please, William the Conqueror. I would love to see a 'properly done' (like Game of Thrones not Pillars of the Earth) movie or series done on 1066 and William the Conqueror. One of my favourite conflicts in history is this Saxon/Norman conflict. Pre, during and post.

David,
I have never understood why they dramatise the Tudor period either. I think it must have something to do with the scandals, the church and the period costumes.
I suppose when you think on it, the Tudor period is rich in detail and so much is known about it. The further back you guy the harder people have to work to get details accurate in a movie or series. :)

message 7: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak I caught the occasional episode of Tudors when it initially launched, but it had never really captured me. I found Myer's acting a little over the top also ... at first, anyway. A few months ago, I found the series on Netflix, and after watching a few episodes back to back, it really grew on me, even the acting >8) I'm on 3rd episode of the final season at the moment.

I also noticed that Netflix added Borgia ... I don't know much about the series itself in terms of quality/production values, but it does look interesting ... it seems to have received a decent reception in North America. I'm glad that historical dramas are gaining in popularity, even if not all of us enjoy them >8)

ib.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I've been watching The Borgias with Jeremy Irons and it's pretty good. A little slow for my taste but they've done a great job with sets and constumes. They are going with the most lurid telling of the Borgia tale, not all historians would agree with how the characters are portrayed but I have to admit that it makes good TV.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Shogun by James Clavell. 1600 Japan and the first Dutch ship lands there with an English pilot, John Blackthorne, who has the role of protagonist. Aside from being treated pretty roughly by the local feudal lord, Blackthorne and his crew are also threatened by the presence of Portuguese Jesuit missionaries. Lots of names to remember but pretty good stuff.

message 10: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak Craig wrote: "Shogun by James Clavell. 1600 Japan and the first Dutch ship lands there with an English pilot, John Blackthorne, who has the role of protagonist. Aside from being treated pretty roug..."

Yes, I've purchased Shogun shortly after reading the book ... it holds its age particular well ... quite enjoyable!

Getting back to the Tudors, there is also some strange Tudor era fiction that I stumbled upon the other day ...

Henry VIII, Wolfman, Boleyn Tudor Vampire, The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer ... whaaaaaa?

Henry VIII, Wolfman by A.E. Moorat Boleyn Tudor Vampire by Cinsearae Santiago The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer by Lucy Weston

ib.

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 29, 2011 01:37PM) (new)

Terri | 19506 comments egad! I'll be steering clear of those...:\...that is taking the Tudor obsession to the extreme. Tudor fad meets Vampire/Werewolf/Supernatural fad.

Have we mentioned Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

I have heard it is quite slow and dry, and yet I have also heard that it is well done.

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "I'm all for Daniel Craig in a movie from any period of history as long as it involves him getting his kit off.
just sayin'

Oh yes please, William the Conqueror. I would love to see a 'properly don..."

Don't know if this will work in Aus, but try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXavlk...

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "egad! I'll be steering clear of those...:\...that is taking the Tudor obsession to the extreme. Tudor fad meets Vampire/Werewolf/Supernatural fad.

Have we mentioned Wolf Hall
[bookc..."

Got a copy for yule last year, but haven't got around to it yet. It is meant to be very, very good, but the eighty page chapters are intimidating me.

message 14: by Ireney (last edited Nov 29, 2011 02:13PM) (new)

Ireney Berezniak Wolf Hall does look interesting. It won a number of awards from the looks of it, and the volume of goodreads ratings and reviews is quite impressive. TBR.

ib.

message 15: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 29, 2011 02:16PM) (new)

Terri | 19506 comments Lee wrote: "Got a copy for yule last year, but haven't got around to it yet. It is meant to be very, very good, but the eighty page chapters are intimidating me.
"

Do you ever watch (on your laptop seeing as you are sans tv) The Book Show? The U.K book show?
http://thebookshow.skyarts.co.uk/
They interviewed Hilary Mantel earlier this year. Interesting lady. She certainly knows her stuff.

message 16: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 29, 2011 02:18PM) (new)

Terri | 19506 comments Lee wrote: "Don't know if this will work in Aus, but try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXavlkfWV...

.."

What is this Lee? Is it a series??? Looks amazingly atmospheric.

The link didn't work but was able to get the title of the clip and search it and find it that way.

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "Lee wrote: "Got a copy for yule last year, but haven't got around to it yet. It is meant to be very, very good, but the eighty page chapters are intimidating me.
"

Do you ever watch (on your lapto..."

No, that's a premium channel here. Costs a lot of money!

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments Then I shall defy them and watch it on You Tube! ;)

I have an internet capable tv (Smart Tv), so if it is all on You Tube I will watch what I can that way. Thanks.

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "Lee wrote: "Don't know if this will work in Aus, but try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXavlkfWV...

.."

What is this Lee? Is it a series??? Looks amazingly atmospheric.The link didn't w..."

It was a two-parter broadcasted a couple of years ago. From what I remember, I think I was expecting a docu-drama, but it was more of a TV drama.

Should be right up your street, I think:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1329539/

message 20: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 29, 2011 02:40PM) (new)

Terri | 19506 comments Lee wrote: "It was a two-parter broadcasted a couple of years ago. From what I remember, I think I was expecting a docu-drama, but it was more of a TV drama.

Should be right up your street, I think:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1329539/ "

The only thing I hate about some docos though is the excessive re-enactment. If this is more tv drama it's hard to tell whether it will appeal. I am very fussy. :)

message 21: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "Lee wrote: "It was a two-parter broadcasted a couple of years ago. From what I remember, I think I was expecting a docu-drama, but it was more of a TV drama.

Should be right up your street, I thin..."

From what I remember, this is more the reverse - a drama with occasional explanatory/factual voiceovers. As I say though, a couple of years since it was on, so I may not be remembering it correctly. It was certainly big-budget. Part of Channel 4's yule schedule.

message 22: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments I am pretty desperate for something to watch from this era. I may like it even if it is truly sh#thouse. ;)

message 23: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Wolf Hall was a very good read, much better than the series that was on HBO. Just my 2 cents. Would recommend the book if you watched the series at all or wanted to read a different perspective on the Tudor court.

message 24: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments And your 2 cents is ALWAYS welcome, Bernie. :)

message 25: by sarg (last edited Dec 28, 2011 08:22AM) (new)

sarg (sargkc) | 17 comments Haven't got into the Tudor period of England yet but by accident I recorded the movie Elizabeth, which has peaked my interest in this era. Elizabeth I,bastard daughter of Henry VIII and Ann Bolin "The Virgin queen" Don't know what the movie was based on but would be an interesting read. Elizabeth was the last Tudor Monarch

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Bastard might be a bit strong, she was declared illegitimate after her mother was executed but she was born within the marriage.
The movie is about the early years of her reign and the basic facts are taken from history, though exaggerated for dramatic effect.
I haven't watched the movie myself but it did get great reviews and the previews looked good, there is a sequel called Elizabeth: the Golden Age too.

message 27: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments I enjoyed Elizabeth. The first movie...but didn't really like the second movie, Elizabeth ; The golden Age.

Dale...interesting avatar you have there. Trying to make a connection between a mob of weaner cattle and the military uniform. Lol :-)

message 28: by sarg (new)

sarg (sargkc) | 17 comments When you are a Texas Police officer that lives in a city with a stock yard and curves in the interstate system you spend a lot of time herding loose cattle from over turned cattle trucks

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments So in Texas you don't have to be a cowboy to herd cattle huh? :) It's a great picture, I have to get back to Texas sometime. It looks like I have to see more than just Dallas next time!

message 30: by sarg (new)

sarg (sargkc) | 17 comments I made a mistake and stopped by Halfpriced books on the way back from DFW airport. Found " The Virgins Lover" by Philippa Gregory about Elizabeth I. If I every get around to it will give a report on it. Its way down on my to read list. Behind a couple of B. Cornwell's Books.

message 32: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments That book looks so good I'm requesting my library buy it.

message 33: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments I see that the new Hilary Mantel book is coming out early this year. The sequel to;
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Wolf Hall

The new sequel is;
 Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
Bring up the Bodies

message 34: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jan 23, 2012 06:14PM) (new)

Terri | 19506 comments Lee wrote: "http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/..."

I see this Henry 8 novel you linked to an article about, is actually classed as YA. Shame for me who does not read YA...I thought the cover had some promise...blue..I am a bit of a sucker for a blue cover.
VIII by H.M. Castor
VIII

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "Lee wrote: "http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/..."

I see this Henry 8 novel you linked to an article about, is actually classed as YA. Shame for me who does not read Y..."

Tends to put me off too. I'm sure it's not true, but somehow in my brain "YA" = poorly written.

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments I am afraid that is me too. Short sentences, small description, small scope, small everything.
I read some of the reviews and a couple people there said it was YA. And on the publishers website it is classed as young with adult crossover.

What made me suspicious is the references to how handsome he was in his youth...*warning sirens*

message 37: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "I am afraid that is me too. Short sentences, small description, small scope, small everything.
I read some of the reviews and a couple people there said it was YA. And on the publishers website it ..."

lol, I thought that was just a general part of his myth.

message 38: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments Maybe my issue is with the word handsome. When that word is used in a book blurb it is like fingernails on a blackboard.

message 39: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Fair enough. I'll remember to use that word and only that word if ever I publish anything.

message 41: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments Lee wrote: "Fair enough. I'll remember to use that word and only that word if ever I publish anything."

I'll run screaming into the hills. You will be most impressed with my lung capacity.

message 42: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments Lee wrote: "http://blogjam.name/?p=7454"

Oh, well then, howdy do, lover.

(for those who haven't read the article Lee posted...I mean lover in the Cornish way...which means something different sometimes...at least..I think that is what I just read)

message 43: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "Lee wrote: "http://blogjam.name/?p=7454"

Oh, well then, howdy do, lover.

(for those who haven't read the article Lee posted...I mean lover in the Cornish way...which means something different ..."

There are basically three ways to address someone in Cornish dialect - "boss", "boy" (sometimes "girl") or "my lover". I use the second constantly, the third fairly frequently and the first not at all!

For anyone who couldn't be bothered to read it and thinks this is a bit of a bizarre turn - that wasn't the focus of the article!

message 44: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments No he's right, there was other stuff in the article too.

message 45: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments When I see Terri and Lee have added a dozen comments to a thread, I expect it to be a bit odd anyway. :)

message 46: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Dawn wrote: "When I see Terri and Lee have added a dozen comments to a thread, I expect it to be a bit odd anyway. :)"

I'll keep that in mind. So long as I know we have standards to maintain I'll try and keep to them!

message 47: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments And so will I. Now I know there are expectations set upon me. :)

message 48: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments I saw this one in my wanderings. Nice cover.

Armada by John Stack
Armada

message 49: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I've got this one on hold at the library already, I hope to get it soon. The mix of Tudor and naval is right up my street.

message 50: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19506 comments I thought it might be. :-) When I saw it I instantly thought of you.

« previous 1 3 4 5