Stephen King Fans discussion

Dolores Claiborne
This topic is about Dolores Claiborne
Talk about the Novels > Dolores Claiborne

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Oct 19, 2012 09:41PM) (new)

Angie | 2535 comments Mod
Discuss Dolores Claiborne here... mark all spoilers!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I always loved the movie. Tried the book as a teenager and didnt even finish it, I hated it that bad reading it. Remember it was JUST dialogue and her way of speaking really grated on my nerves. May try it again as an adult but I'm not sure.

Courtney Ooh, I just got this out from the library. Never read it before, I'll let you know what I think!

★ Jess  | 49 comments I read this recently and loved it! King's voice as Dolores Claiborne is so believable, he almost has be thinking I was reading the memoirs of a 60 year old woman. I can see why some people dont like it, but I think the experimental writing style is a highlight and only makes an interesting story more readable.

message 5: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica (veraj121) | 300 comments I never read this book. However I saw the movie and like it a lot.

Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile) (enchantedbibliophile) Is one of my favourite books! Dolores is one of my besets of friends!

Lena | 91 comments I don't remember the writing style being difficult at all. I read it in high school like most of King's other books and I really enjoyed it. I've seen the movie probably ten times. I think it's one of the better film adaptations of a King novel. Never understood why people don't like this one--I loved it.

message 8: by Gatorman (last edited Jan 06, 2012 12:19PM) (new) - added it

Gatorman | 561 comments This is the only SK novel I have not read. Need to get to it sometime to complete the list.

message 9: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin On the contrary, Lena, Dolores Claiborne is a very simple writing style, IMO. I don't understand why it isn't a truly beloved novel, either.. The only aspect of it that I can think of might turn readers away is its admittedly adult theme...

Donna (donnaenden) | 53 comments I am currently reading this book. I am enjoying it very much.

message 11: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri | 36 comments I too really liked Delores Claiborne. And the movie with Kathy Bates was awesome!

message 12: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica (veraj121) | 300 comments Kathy Bates was in bothe Dolores Claiborne and Misery. I agree she was awesome in both movies.

message 13: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Donna wrote: "I am currently reading this book. I am enjoying it very much."

That's awesome, Donna!

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Donna wrote: "I am currently reading this book. I am enjoying it very much."

I just finished it a few days ago...Its, in its own way, a powerful book. Hope you enjoy it. :)

message 15: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Kathryn wrote: "Donna wrote: "I am currently reading this book. I am enjoying it very much."

I just finished it a few days ago...Its, in its own way, a powerful book. Hope you enjoy it. :)"

Indeed, it is VERY powerful, IMO!

Donna (donnaenden) | 53 comments I finished the book a few days ago and I really enjoyed it. I liked the first person perspective that was used also. It was indeed a powerful rememberable book. Now I need to go back and re-watch the movie. :-)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Donna wrote: "I finished the book a few days ago and I really enjoyed it. I liked the first person perspective that was used also. It was indeed a powerful rememberable book. Now I need to go back and re-wat..."

I have never seen the movie, but have had it on my Netflix queue for about a year. I didn't know it was a Stephen King adaptation until I started reading King a few months ago. Is the movie good? I'm sure with Kathy Bates, it is!

message 18: by Gatorman (new) - added it

Gatorman | 561 comments The movie is very good with a great cast all around.

Donna (donnaenden) | 53 comments Both movies staring Kathy Bates that are Stephen king novel adaptions are great Dolores Clairborne, and Misery...she is great in both

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 25 comments I listened to the audio book of Dolores Clairborne last year read by Frances Sternhagen - her accent was bang on and her acting was excellent. The book is even better than the excellent movie - the scenes around the abandoned well were blood curdling. Not a typical SK book, but a great story, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments I really enjoy his pyschological horror stories like this.

message 22: by Todd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 34 comments Think this is the first novel I've read that doesn't have chapters or page breaks of any kind.

Just finished reading this for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the creativity and think King nailed the voice of the sixty-six year old woman (My full review)

For whatever reason, I passed over this one, Rose Madder (reading that one right now and enjoying so far) and a few others.

Guess I've been in the dark because I didn't know there was a movie of this one. Glad I didn't see it before reading. Loved Kathy Bates in Misery (and I enjoyed reading the book before the movie in that case), so I bet I'll enjoy her.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I just recently did a re-read of this one and enjoyed it, gave it 4 Stars.

Andrea (serialreader13) One of the few books that I have 1. read in one sitting and 2. started screaming
When (view spoiler) I screamed and threw my book down. I love when a book can do that!

Christopher Owen | 104 comments Yeah it was a strange one but King pulled it off greatly. It's not my favorite of his canon, but it is certainly not a bad read

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Andrea - Agreed! - Excellent point -- when ANY book scares its' reader like that, it's a success!!

message 27: by Kathryn (last edited Aug 03, 2012 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Andrea wrote: "One of the few books that I have 1. read in one sitting and 2. started screaming
When [spoilers removed] I screamed and threw my book down. I love when a book can do that!"

Andrea-The scene in your spoiler made me jump and shiver. That is one particular scene I remember very well!

Another scene I remember very well is (view spoiler) To me, this book was done very well visually. As I read, I felt like I was in the room watching everything happen, and at the same time, I felt like I could see everything so clearly the things King described throughout the entire novel. This novel was done very well.

Crystal Johnson | 4 comments Amazing movie!! Its a bit slow paced but still good.

Banjaxed | 2 comments Just finished the novel today. A quick and enjoyable read. A markedly different writing style for Mr King. Thought it perfectly transported the reader right into the tough life of Dolores. Now off to hope Netflix has the movie to stream!!

Miwako Sakurada | 3 comments Really great book to say the least, I find it sort of similar to his other works why is it that people consider it so different (other than writing style) I feel the content is true to Stephen King.

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 11, 2013 03:10AM) (new)

I love the first person pov of the book. Brilliant. One of King's most underrated books. The movie was also outstanding. Kathy Bates was riveting as Dolores, and Jennifer Jason Leigh dynamic as her screwed up daughter.

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments I found the style of book offputting. The dialect felt forced and unnatural (He got better at it as he matured, though). A solid story, but the whole thing as an uninterrupted ramble didn't work for me. I thought Gerald's Game was the better of the two eclipse novels.

The movie was interesting as it played almost as a sequel top the book.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments D.C. was the third? book I read of Kings. I love the story. I pictured Kathy Bates the entire time I read the novel. At first, the style threw me off a little, but as I read, I found I enjoyed the style because it helped me to visualize more and make it seem more like a real story.

Miwako Sakurada | 3 comments Did you guys find the content of the book to be so different compared to all his other books, because quite frankly there were parts of this book I found quite scary, such as the scene in the Well!

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments I would say I found it more disturbing because the story was pretty realistic to me. As I read, I could imagine it happening in real life.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished and liked it really well. I found it quite a bit like the movie. I liked the tie-in with Gerald's Game.

Larry | 39 comments One of King's best....Top ten probably top five...He took chances with this book......writing from a woman's POV....also the style of no breaks of any kind in the entire book.

The movie was horrible. To start with Kathy Bates just didn't look like a woman who had spend the last 40 years working a manual labor job. After that it just never clicked.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments I thought Kathy Bates did a great job as Dolores. I didn't see the movie until afterwards, but a woman very similar to her is whom I pictured as Dolores while I read the novel.

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments I saw Minnie Pearl or Gramma Clampett when I first read the book.

message 40: by Donna (last edited Jul 01, 2013 03:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna (eclecticreader10) This book has one of my all time favorites lines. Vera says to Dolores, "Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold on to." Love it!

message 41: by Squire (last edited Jul 08, 2013 12:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments "Wendy? Darling? Light of my life, you didn't let me finish. I SAID I'm NOT going to hurt you. I'm going to bash your skull in. I'm gonna bash it right the fuck in!!!"

Not from Delores Claiborne or any of King's novels, but it's one of my favorite quotes from a King-inspired movie.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Kathryn wrote: "I thought Kathy Bates did a great job as Dolores. I didn't see the movie until afterwards, but a woman very similar to her is whom I pictured as Dolores while I read the novel."

I think Kathy Bates did a great job, also. I think looking at her she looks like somebody who doesn't mind cleaning her house and hanging the laundry, though she probably pays somebody to do that. I watched the movie first so I just pictured her while reading the book. I also loved her in Misery.

Aditya This was one of the more average King books I have read, the characters were excellently drawn specially the titular one but I just felt the story itself was not interesting enough to hold attention for a sustained time period. The ending revelation about Vera specially helped the book as without it this one would have been as bland as its companion book Gerald' Game.

After reading this & Gerald' Game I wonder if they were aimed primarily at female readers as it seemed they would enjoy both the books a lot more than males. If that is the case it immediately means the quality of writing takes a hit simply because a book that is trying to appeal to only one type of audience (be it male/female or only genre fans) is not good enough to be widely accepted in the first place.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Aditya wrote: "This was one of the more average King books I have read, the characters were excellently drawn specially the titular one but I just felt the story itself was not interesting enough to hold attentio..."

You may be right, Aditya, about it being aimed more at women, but I think he wrote these two books for the women that are in his life rather than womankind. Not sure, but that's the impression that I got, especially with the dedications. My husband actually liked Gerald's Game better than I did.

message 45: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3946 comments Kathryn wrote: "Aditya wrote: "This was one of the more average King books I have read, the characters were excellently drawn specially the titular one but I just felt the story itself was not interesting enough t..."

I really liked them both. Gerald's Game more than Dolores, though the interchange between the two books caught my interest. The truth is, finding yourself in that predicament (chained to a bed naked in the a cabin on a deserted lake) could happen to either a man or a woman of a certain persuasion. And given what the story reveals it might be worse for a guy. What I liked is that King never held back on his description of the bad guy. This is one of the ultimate, most realistic evil monsters King ever came up with, and I put him up there with the very worst of King's villains. I'm probably alone on this but I think those monsters are in Gerald's Game, Rose Madder, and in the opening scenes of Cujo. I always thought that Rose Madder got a little muddy, but Gerald's was horrific all the way.

Aditya Kathryn wrote: "You may be right, Aditya, about it being aimed more at women, but I think he wrote these two books for the women that are in his life rather than womankind. Not sure,... "

That may well be the case but either way it became one of those cases where a book alienated a part of its reader before being written.

Nick wrote: "I really liked them both. Gerald's Game more than Dolores, though the interchange between the two books caught my interest..."

It was not that the predicament could not have happened to a guy or the book's main problem was it being aimed at a female audience. The main issue that I at least had with the books were the plots were not interesting enough & the way King tells the story specially Geralds's Game ensures it is devoid of tension for long parts which were filled with completely unnecessary filler.

message 47: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3946 comments Aditya wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "You may be right, Aditya, about it being aimed more at women, but I think he wrote these two books for the women that are in his life rather than womankind. Not sure,... "

That may..."

I hear you. I always thought King was a little prone to filler. Even in his best books. It's been a long time since I read either of these and I was on a years long King binge when I read them. I loved most of King's stuff at that time except for Desperation and Dreamcatcher, though I thought they both had a few good moments too. If I get a chance I'll take another look at Gerald's Game, though if it's as bad as you say it is, I might not make it through this time.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Nick wrote: "Aditya wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "You may be right, Aditya, about it being aimed more at women, but I think he wrote these two books for the women that are in his life rather than womankind. Not sure,..."

Nick, I think you should give Gerald's Game another try. My husband really liked it.

message 49: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3946 comments Kathryn wrote: "Nick wrote: "Aditya wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "You may be right, Aditya, about it being aimed more at women, but I think he wrote these two books for the women that are in his life rather than womanki..."

Will do.

message 50: by Todd (new)

Todd (toddwn) Found this book alright. Great family drama.

« previous 1 3