NYRB Classics discussion

General > Cataloguing your NYRB collection

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy (heylook) | 4 comments Hey all,

I'm sort of obsessive about my books, music, etc and the way I organize/collect/enjoy them. Anyway, since I've been buying and enjoying NYRB classics for the past couple years, I've been looking to find a list that puts all the releases in order of publication date or catalogue number. Nerdy, I know, but whatever.

The first 250 titles you can find in order from when NY Books put together that huge package where you could buy all of them a couple of years ago. But there has been another what, 100 titles since then? Is there anything that puts them in order? Somewhere that would keep that updated?

It's a silly way to read, maybe, but I am interested in publishing choices and the books that are released in chunks. (I do this for instance with The Criterion Collection of movies as well).

Anyway, if this exists anywhere - that'd be awesome.

New York Review Books | 212 comments Mod
Hi Andy,

I can help you with that. Excel or Word preferable?

Nick

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen New York Review Books wrote: "Hi Andy,

I can help you with that. Excel or Word preferable?

Nick"

Hi Nick, I'd also love a copy of that list!

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy (heylook) | 4 comments Wow Nick, thanks. Either one is fine.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) | 31 comments Holy cow, I'd love to see & obsess over that spreadsheet!

Okay, I need help. Does anyone know how to load an Excel file on Goodreads? Can't seem to figure it out. Also, should this list just be NYRB Classics? Or do you also want our Children's Collections and New York Review Books (books from contributors to the magazine The New York Review of Books)?

Nick

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) | 31 comments Personally, I was hoping just for the classics.

I don't think Goodreads can host files like that. You'll need to either find somewhere that can host them. (Do you use Dropbox? That's one solution. There's also file factory, file savr, file dropper, etc.)

Or email them to us. (We'd give you our email address via DM.).

Or you could email it to me, and I'd be happy to stick it in my dropbox and post the link here.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 38 comments An easier way would be to upload it to Google docs and make it public....

Okay, NYRB Classics titles only, and shared only through this link at the moment, though I don't see why we shouldn't just make it public, though obviously the list changes every time we publish a new book: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/c...

Let me know if this works, I've never done a Google doc before.

Nick

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 38 comments I see it! It looks great!

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy (heylook) | 4 comments Somehow I'm just now seeing this.

Awesome work Nick, thanks for much for this!

message 12: by Odette (new)

Odette | 2 comments Really helpful. Thanks!

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathanbo) | 1 comments Would it be possible to update this list?

message 14: by Kathrina (new)

Kathrina | 3 comments This list is awesome, thank you! Can you add 2012's titles?

message 15: by Guy (new)

Guy | 144 comments Thanks, will get some titles from the backlist

Yes, I can. Here it is up through our Fall 2012 season: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/c...

Enjoy.

Nick

message 17: by Kathrina (new)

Kathrina | 3 comments The Google doc is denying me access to your updated list. Would you please approve me?

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Me too! The first one came over without a hitch. Don't know why this one is a problem. Thanks so much for doing this. It is a great resource.

Sorry about that. It should be public now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/c...

Nick

message 20: by Steven (new)

Steven Koplin (szkoplin) Nick - I'm a little late to the party, but is there any chance this doc has been updated?

message 21: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
Nick doesn't pop in any more. Though I've never put together a spreadsheet, the forum itself has an alphabetical listing of titles that I keep up to date.

message 22: by Trevor (new)

For those interested, I've created a google doc spreadsheet of all titles in alphabetical order, which I'll keep up to date as it's my own method of keeping track of my collection. If you're interested, let me know. I don't really know how to share it with you, but I'm sure we can figure it out.

message 23: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) Trevor wrote: "For those interested, I've created a google doc spreadsheet of all titles in alphabetical order, which I'll keep up to date as it's my own method of keeping track of my collection. If you're intere..."

I'd be interested as well. I wish nyrb would put up some sort of catalogue that they update periodically in .pdf or something.

message 24: by Trevor (new)

If you can DM me your email, I can authorize you to view the file.

message 25: by Trevor (new)

Randolph wrote: "Trevor wrote: "For those interested, I've created a google doc spreadsheet of all titles in alphabetical order, which I'll keep up to date as it's my own method of keeping track of my collection. I..."

Randolph -- I'm not sure if you saw my message above or not, so I'll try the reply button. I'm happy to share this with you. I'll also put together a PDF that I can share with more people that I'll update regularly. That may take me some time to create, but I'll post here when I've got it.

message 26: by Trevor (new)

Hmmm. I guess it wasn't hard at all, though it doesn't look very good. But, click here to see the list, arranged alphabetically by TITLE, in PDF. If you see errors or have suggestions for improvement, just let me know. I'd love to make this a helpful document (I'd like it to show the column numbers) and wouldn't mind if it looked better in general. I'll keep fiddling as well.

Also, for those of you who want an interactive one so you can mark the ones you have (I put a "1" in the first box so that I can keep a tally and add up the column), I can still share the original, which I'll keep up to date.

message 27: by Steven (new)

Steven Koplin (szkoplin) Trevor,

This is very much appreciated - thanks for the list.

Steven

message 28: by Rambling Reader (new)

Rambling Reader (ramblingreader) Trevor wrote: "Hmmm. I guess it wasn't hard at all, though it doesn't look very good. But, click here to see the list, arranged alphabetically by TITLE, in PDF. If you see errors or have suggestions for improveme..."

Thanks!

message 29: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments is there available anywhere a list of nyrb titles arranged alphabetically by author?

other than at the back of each nyrb edition, of course

thanks!
dwaine

message 30: by Trevor (new)

I can probably make that happen with this one, Dwaine. I will do that soon and post the link here.

message 31: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments great...thanks, trevor

it's basically for a woman who directs a library basement semi-monthly book sale...she puts by any nyrbs she can find for me, so a list like this is gonna be valued !

thanks

message 32: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments Just following up, Trevor...

Is there now a list of nyrb titles arranged alphabetically by author ?

Thanks.
Dwaine

message 33: by Trevor (last edited Apr 23, 2016 03:51PM) (new)

Thanks for following up, Dwaine! Here it is!

This is good through May 2016. Also, because I originally cataloged by title, I didn't put the authors in by last name. Consequently, this is alphabetical by first name. Not the ideal format, but hopefully passable. At this point, I'm not going to go back in and change this, but I may some day.

message 34: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments I've clicked on 'Here it is !' but nothing happens, Trevor. Any ideas ?

Thanks
Dwaine

message 35: by Trevor (new)

When I click on it, I get a box that asks me if I want to open or save the file. If I click open, the PDF opens. If I click save, it gives me the option to save it wherever I want. I'm not sure what it would do on your computer, Dwaine, but it does appear to be there and functioning as a link. If this doesn't work, I can email you the PDF.

message 36: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments gosh, trevor, it does make a difference when you know what you're doing.

thanks agaiin

let me know, please. if/when you revise the list to be alphabetized by author's last name

message 37: by Trevor (new)

Will do! I update my spreadsheet every time a new book is released, and I make the author spreadsheet from that. I will post an update here periodically (I hope regularly), but don't hesitate to request if it goes a while without an update!

message 38: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) Thanks.

message 39: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments Hi Trevor
This isn't really part of this stream but I think others might be interested...
Some time ago there was news (from you I would assume) that NYRB Classics would be publishing an up-to-date 'complete' catalog. (I have the '2014 Complete Catalog', worn, stained and notated as to my personal collection.)
I seem to remember that a proposed photo for the cover would be of someone's NYRB collection.
I live blocks away from NYRB headquarters on Hudson Street in NYC's Greenwich Village. I call and check regularly to see if the new catalog is out yet. The answer's always 'no' and so far no one I talked to had any idea if/when it was ever going to happen.
You often seem privy to the secret NYRB stuff, Trevor. So....any news on this issue ?
Thanks,
Dwaine

message 40: by Trevor (new)

Last year they posted this on Tumblr. It suggests that a fan's photograph would be the cover of a future catalog, though that hasn't happened yet. I'm not sure if they scrapped the idea or what.

The catalog they meant, though, is probably not a catalog of all of their titles but rather a catalog or future releases. Twice a year they put out a catalog that shows what's in the pipeline. I suspect, but could be wrong, that this is what they were referring to. Since they've had two catalogs come out since their Tumblr post, I'm assuming the idea was scrapped.

message 41: by Trevor (last edited May 31, 2016 08:45AM) (new)

Dwaine -- we had just missed it (and I had missed the mention that the catalog was not a forthcoming catalog but rather, as you said, the catalog of full titles).

Here is the link to the catalog with the winning photo on the cover.

At the end of the catalog the photo is credited to Ben Ostrander. So, congratulations to Ben!

message 42: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments thanks so much, trevor...this is good news. i'll be paying another visit to nyrb headquarters again soon, hoping that they're not the last to have the new catalog (don't ask...) actually i love going there for any excuse...in a prominent position is a very large bookcase containing what i assume is a complete collection of their titles...extraordinary!
dwaine

message 43: by Trevor (new)

Wonderful -- please report, Dwaine!

I visited them in 2010 or thereabouts and had a nice long chat with Edwin Frank about the series. He was probably sick of talking about all of that, but I was so happy to be hearing it I didn't notice! I've since moved away from NYC, so I don't know when, if ever, I'll get a chance to visit them again.

message 44: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments I found time finally to visit the NYRB offices and can report that the 'NYRB Classics 2016 Complete Catalog' has arrived! (The 'Children's Collection', dated 2016, is also available.) I asked for and received more than one copy, so I could send you the set, Trevor, but I have a feeling that you have your own already.

message 45: by Trevor (last edited Jun 22, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

I don't, actually! I get their bi-annual catalog that looks at forthcoming releases, but I don't think I've ever gotten their "complete catalog" before! I'd be glad to take a set off your hands . . .

Any other highlights of the office visit?!

message 46: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments Usually there's only one person in the office who seems to be the mail-room staff. There were two people there this visit; a young woman granted my wish for catalogs. As usual, there were many desks behind the glorious bookcase, all piled high with, of course, books, I'm assuming they were prospective NYRB titles. But....no one sitting at these desks. I've visited several times at different times of day but never anyone at the desks. Have to assume they're are working from home.
It would be my pleasure to send you a copy of the catalog, as well as the children's list and a handout of book-related items.....but how do I get it to you, Trevor?

message 47: by Trevor (new)

Let's communicate via email, Dwaine. You can reach me at mookseandgripes@gmail.com. Cheers!

message 48: by Dwaine (new)

Dwaine Schoner | 20 comments Trevor I e-mailed you...did you get it ? Dwaine

message 49: by Trevor (new)

Yes! Just need to take the time to formulate an appropriately gracious reply :-) !

message 50: by Trevor (last edited Feb 03, 2017 09:23AM) (new)

It's been a while since I posted this, so here is an index of all NYRB Classics title, organized by author's first name.

Click here

This list is up-to-date through the February 2017 titles.

You may make a copy of it and adapt it to your needs so you can catalog your collection.

« previous 1