Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > November 2011 Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Slavena (new)

Slavena (miolla) | 40 comments Lea, sorry I hijacked your monthly thread:)

I started listening to Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3) by Elizabeth Hoyt . To all of you who would like to listen to it, there are only 2 websites that offer this audio book and I had to go to the publisher's website to scout where it can be found. They had about 15 websites listed but only emusic.com and simplyaudiobooks.com have the audio book. I even went so far as to call audible.com and they do not have it comming out in the next 2 months. Anyway emusic offers credits from $9.99 which was more than symplyaudiobooks at $14.99 for all of you who want to listen to the 3rd eddition of Maiden Lane series:)

message 2: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Finishing up Adam (Nightwalkers, #6) by Jacquelyn Frank & am enjoying it (probably my favorite in the series). Honestly, the narration by Xe Sands is nothing less than fantastic.

Listening to Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3) by Elizabeth Hoyt next. I had read the book & am now looking forward to the listen (so excited that it is now available)!

message 3: by Slavena (last edited Nov 02, 2011 01:53PM) (new)

Slavena (miolla) | 40 comments nvm for my long post, audible came up with it today, so lame. The publisher release date was 11/01/11. 2websites had it on 10/31/11, oh well, at least I got it early:)

I want to listen to something narrated by Xe Sands but I read Jaquelyn Frank's first 2 in the series and did not like it too much, I don't even remember why.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I love audible for the selection that they have, but they suck at being able to tell you if they have books coming out - even ones that are done by their frontiers recording subsidiary - they did the succubus series, and it was on the website, and they kept telling me it wasn't available...

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I just finished Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot #8) by Agatha Christie which was an audio dramatization. I'm finishing Demon Rumm (Loveswept, #197) by Sandra Brown and Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger .

message 6: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments I'm so glad I managed to control myself for the new Elizabeth Hoyt. I was just about to get it for my Kindle, figuring I couldn't wait, but I just got the in print Joanna Bourne, who only has one audio so far, and I decided I'd try self-discipline and got rewarded.
Finished the Kresley Cole book, which was okay but I found the heroine annoying, which was difficult after having waded through the horrid heroine in Stranger in my Arms.
But dl'd the old Linda Howard the second Kleypas for the month and a Courtney Milan, so good times ahead.

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Slavena - thanks for starting the November thread! No hijacking here so no apology needed!

message 8: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm reading The Rana Look, an old Sandra Brown that fits the lifetime challenge. So far it's going OK...a bit clicheish.

The narration is not bad though.

message 9: by Xe (last edited Nov 04, 2011 11:51AM) (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Paula - Aw thanks so much! Has been a wild ride, to be sure :)

Slavena - I'm very flattered! If you have a favorite genre, I might be able to suggest something.

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Thanks for starting Novembers thread Salvena - and my two cents on Frank's Nightwalker series. If I hadn't started it in Audio I wouldn't have continued - the narration quality made all the difference for me.

Paula I'm sticking with Damien for my favorite Nightwalker story but I enjoyed Jasmine and Adam very much.

I've started listening to Tavia Gilbert with the Jeaniene Frost's The Bite Before Christmas (Argeneau, #15.5; Night Huntress, #6.5) by Lynsay Sands . Any type of Cat and Bones fix is good for me. :) I haven't listened to a Lynsay Sands before so I'm looking forward to trying it in this combo book.

message 11: by Christy (new)

Christy | 5 comments I was so excited to log in to audible.com tonight and find the unabridged version of The Fiery Cross is finally available there. Davina Porter's narration adds so much to the series. Listening makes me slow down and notice so many more details than when I read, which is always worthwhile with Gabaldon's books.

Also on audible, I saw that The Iron Duke and its sequel Heart of Steel are available as of the first of this month. Has anyone listened to them yet? Does the narrator do them justice?

message 12: by Slavena (new)

Slavena (miolla) | 40 comments Krissie wrote: "I'm so glad I managed to control myself for the new Elizabeth Hoyt. I was just about to get it for my Kindle, figuring I couldn't wait, but I just got the in print Joanna Bourne, who only has one ..."

Joanna Bourne's Spymaster's lady is my all time favorite audio book. Amazing characters but the narration was out of this world good, I mean how many people can do English,French, German accents as 3 different people. The carriage scene is my fave when they play Germans. I have no words for how good that book is.

message 13: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (oddiophile) Christy wrote: "Also on audible, I saw that The Iron Duke and its sequel Heart of Steel are available as of the first of this month. Has anyone listened to them yet? Does the narrator do them justice?"

Christy, I've listened to Heart of Steel and am partway through The Iron Duke and I think the narrator is doing a good job. She does the various accents well. Some of the male characters have higher pitched voices than the female protagonists which I find outside the norm but it isn't too distracting. If you've ever listened to a book narrated by Emily Shaffer/Suzanna Duff (she does Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series and Ann Aguirre's Sirantha Jax series) and liked it then I'd venture to say you'll like Faye Adele's narration: they have a similar sound.

message 14: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments BeckyS wrote: "I hope you enjoy(ed) Heartless - I finished it a short while ago and now waiting impatiently for #5 in the series! Gail Carriger's work is unique and great fun."

What an ending Becky! I've already pre-ordered the next paperback.

message 15: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm almost done with Christine Warren's She's No Faerie Princess. It's my first Warren book and I think I will now back up and listen to Wolf at the Door - someday. Since I rarely listen to one back after another in a series (I need breaks), it may be a while. She's No Faerie Princess was an entertaining book although not what I'd call fantastic.

message 16: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'm struggling through Demon Rumm (Loveswept, #197) by Sandra Brown , thank goodness it's only 4 cassettes unabridged! I really dislike the heroine and the author is way to flowery - he left his shoes on the ground like sunken ships - huh? It's over and over again. If I weren't listening to the book while I'm driving I'd be writing them down as some of the worst writing I've come across. Everything is described "like" you fill in the blank. I'm almost to the point where I don't want to read/listen to her stuff anymore but a Goodfriend told me Envy by Sandra Brown was much better. But if I hate it, I'll make sure I don't read her stuff again. This is the 2nd book I've read by Sandra Brown that I haven't liked.

message 17: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Carolyn - I think try one of her romantic suspense books (Demon Rumm seems to be straight romance.) If you still don't like her, just let her go.

I recently read one of her old romances and wasn't impressed. But I like her romantic suspense, even though she sometimes like crazy plots.

message 18: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Carolyn F. wrote: "I'm struggling through Demon Rumm (Loveswept, #197) by Sandra Brown, thank goodness it's only 4 cassettes unabridged! I really dislike the heroine and the author is way to flowery - he left his shoes on the groun..."

I have a great time listening to Sandra Brown's romantic suspenses written since 2000. Almost anything before then - no go for me. Brown made a big change with her writing style.

However, I have favorably reviewed one of her books from 1988 -Slow Heat in Heaven. Dick Hill does a fantastic job with the narration but it is edgy for romance.

I've read Demon Rumm and had your same reaction. Another book - one of her Texas series - was a literal wallbanger for me! Since then, I stick to 2000 or later.

message 19: by Kalena (new)

Kalena (KalenaV) | 36 comments I just finished The Proposition by Judith Ivory which I loved loved loved. What next?!

And The Spymaster's Lady is also one my all time favorites as well!

message 20: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Simon and Schuster has finally posted the narrator for Kresley Cole's Lothaire and it's Robert Petkoff - good for them.

.... now to decide if I'll catch up with the series or just start again with listening to #10.

Has anyone listened to Lynsay Sands Argeneau Vampire books? The short story in The Bite Before Christmas was my first and it made me LOL more than once so I'm curious about the others.

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 60 comments I've listened to 'Hungry For You" and "Tall, Dark & Hungry". I love her books. I've read all the rest including the Historical. It has been well over 100 maybe 200 books ago since I listened to these so I can't comment on the narration. I borrowed these 2 from the library.

message 22: by Brenda (last edited Nov 09, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Thanks Cathy, I picked up a couple of her earlier ones on CD but haven't listened yet. A couple of hundred books since you listened to them?? Why would that interfere with your memory? LOL

I noticed that there are several narrators with this series. Hopefully they all bring out the humor that is Sands trademark with this series from what I've heard.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 34 comments Brenda wrote: "Simon and Schuster has finally posted the narrator for Kresley Cole's Lothaire and it's Robert Petkoff - good for them.

.... now to decide if I'll catch up with the series or just start again wit..."

Hey Brenda, What? The next audiobook comming out by Kresley Cole is number 10! Why do they do that? Good news about the narrator though. I have listened to The Renegade Hunter (Rogue Hunter, #3) (Argeneau, #12) by Lynsay Sands read by Kirby Heybone I also listened to Hungry for You (Argeneau, #14) by Lynsay Sands read by the same. They were both worth listening to. Rougue Hunter was was great and Hungry for you was one of the funnier ones. hope this helps.

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments What? The next audiobook coming out by Kresley Cole is number 10! Why do they do that?

Lisa my guess is when a series goes into hard cover the powers that be decide it deserves audio too - then they have to play catch up. :) The same thing happened with Singh's Kiss of Snow - Tantor was able to get the first 3 books out in audio before number 10 was released, so that was a bonus.

Thanks for the positives about Lynsay Sands audio - I have Single White Vampire and Hungry for You to try when I take the time to get them from CD to my iPod, hope they're good too.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 34 comments Brenda wrote: "What? The next audiobook coming out by Kresley Cole is number 10! Why do they do that?

Lisa my guess is when a series goes into hard cover the powers that be decide it deserves audio too - then t..."

Brenda how do you get them into your I Pod? I wonder if I can put the CD Audios from my Library into my I pod? Im guessing I can't. I just borrowed 10 audiobooks and dread having to listen on my small CD Player rather then my I Pod.

message 26: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 60 comments Lisa wrote: "Brenda wrote: "What? The next audiobook coming out by Kresley Cole is number 10! Why do they do that?

Lisa my guess is when a series goes into hard cover the powers that be decide it deserves a..."

First rip them to your computer. I have found for some reason the CD's are sometimes deep labeled some thing other than what they are. Make sure each Cd is in a file folder with the correct title and disc #. When you load that file folder into you itune program make sure the title, disc #, author and album are correct. If not highlight entire disc, right click check "get info" and correct info. Load next folder repeat.
I have had all 23 discs in 1 book labeled something different altogether. I have all my audio books on a separate portable drive listed by author, sub filed by book and discs. Makes loading to Ipod easier if mostly corrected on computer fist. Also if getting books from the library you don't always get them in order. If you save in a file until later you can listen to books in a series later. Took me 2 years to get all of Ann McCaffery's Acrona series. I can now listen to it in the right order soon.

message 27: by Brenda (last edited Nov 10, 2011 09:04PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Thank you Cathy, Good advice - iTunes is a pain when it comes to getting CD's imported exactly how you need them, so a book will play in order.

Lisa I'll send you a private message - I have some screen shots that could help you out with this...

message 28: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments When I rip CDs, I also like to join all the tracks so I don't have like a million 3 min. tracks on the iPod. It's just too cumbersome for me.

The same thing happened with the Harry Potter discs, Cathy. All of them were labeled something different!

Usually what I do, is rip them all, making sure that I know at least the order of each CD (meaning CD #1, 2, etc.) sometimes even that info is missing. Then once I have them all, I edit the info (album, author, name) to make sure they all match. I use the track space to put the CD number (that's the info that shows up in the iPod) so if I have 10 CDs, then CD #1 says Track 1 of 10, etc.

Then I go to options and make sure that the media kind is set to 'audiobook' that way the book will show up in the audiobooks section.

message 29: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments That's good info. There's a store in the area called Ocean State Lots (or something like that) that had audio books for $3.99, so I bought a Debbie Macomber, a Mariah Stewart for the Anna Fields narration, and something fo the Tom with the complicated last name narration, but loading it is a pain.

I just listened to A GAME OF CHANCE and loved it! It was closer to a single title Linda Howard -- the previous one, Mackenzie's Mission, was closer to a series romance.
I'm listening to the second Lisa Kleypas and really enjoying it. I'm really liking lower class heroes all of a sudden.
And WICKED INTENTIONS was to die for. Maybe the best of the year.

Just bought IRON DUKE. I want more more more -- I'm greedy when it comes to audio books. And my niece convinced me to get WICKED.

message 30: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments I just finished Vengeance in Death and am now listening to And One Last Thing ....

message 31: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'm listening to the Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning series and am up to Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning . Liking it more the 2nd time around.

message 32: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie (bc2mc3) | 19 comments I am listening to old Linda Howard, To Die For and even though the narrator, Franette Liebow, sometimes grates when her voice gets very high pitched, the story is so funny that I can generally let it slip. Next up will be part 2 of these books, Drop Dead Gorgeous. Have now listened to 10 of her books. As you can tell, a real fan

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 34 comments Cathy wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Brenda wrote: "What? The next audiobook coming out by Kresley Cole is number 10! Why do they do that?

Lisa my guess is when a series goes into hard cover the powers that be decide it..."

I just wanted to say thanks to Cathy and Shameless Hussy for the info on transferring a CD to an ipod. and thanks again to Brenda for all your help.

message 34: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Glad I could help, Lisa!

message 35: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 60 comments No problem. It drives me nuts to have my books bounce all over the place or not finding it at all because the name was wrong.

I'm still working on the "audio book" section holding my audio books. I have an 80g classic, so maybe it still isn't possible unless I convert to itunes format. (NOT happenen! that is too much work.)

message 36: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Good to hear lining up those screen shots, so pictures could help walk you through the great advice found here, had those transfers going smoothly for you Lisa. Enjoy having to only pack your iPod around from now on! :)

I've been all over the place with my listening lately - I need to settle in and get the last book of my 2011 Listening Challenge started soon. Then I can put the check mark in box #14 for this year.

message 37: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Listening to THE IRON DUKE. Huge potential, though it's taking me some time to get acclimated. I want to try the Laura Lee Gurkhe (or however you spell her name) next.

message 38: by Kay (new)

Kay (celadonroses) | 4 comments Just finished listening to Elizabeth Hoyt's " To Beguile a Beast", which I thoroughly enjoyed!! To Beguile a Beast

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 34 comments Im going to start listening to Triangles by Ellen Hopkins I have listened to one of her other books Identical by Ellen Hopkins and it was good and kept my total attention, so Im guessing this one will also be great!

message 40: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Just finished Prince of Dreams (Stokehurst, #2) by Lisa Kleypas . Trying to decide between No Mercy (Dark-Hunter, #19) (Were-Hunter, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Lady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2) by Lisa Kleypas next.

message 41: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Paula - how did you like Prince of Dreams? I have just started Midnight Angel which is considered a sort of partner to Prince of Dreams.

message 42: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments it feels like its been a really quiet month...i'm actually getting to start my first romance of the month - Eloquent Silence by Sandra Brown - an old school Sandra Brown to finish out a featured author challenge in another group - I think i might have read it before I don't remember. I do have one of her more recent ones in a playaway format for work so hopefully i'll get that in as well

message 43: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Paula - how did you like Prince of Dreams? I have just started Midnight Angel which is considered a sort of partner to Prince of Dreams."

Not quite sure how I felt about this one. I would give it around a 3.5 - 4. There were some aspects I really enjoyed, but was certainly different from the typical "Kleypas" novels & didn't have quite the same flow that most of her stories do.

I have not yet read Midnight Angel & would be interested to hear how you liked it.

message 44: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I started listening to Prince of Dreams knowing it was an odd duck for Kleypas. I have owned the PB for 8 years or so and never had the courage to pick it up. The audio was just the right means of delivery for me. I went in expecting something less than enjoyable and therefore, enjoyed it all the more. Make sense??

message 45: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments I just finished The Iron Duke which I liked quite a lot. Not sure what's up next.

message 46: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'm listening to Born of Fire (The League, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown .

message 47: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie (bc2mc3) | 19 comments Still on a Linda Howard kick and am listening to Death Angel but just downloaded Explosive Eighteen and Future Perfect today.

message 48: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments I'm on How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf and really enjoying it. The new to audio Lisa Kleypas next.

message 49: by Carrie (last edited Nov 23, 2011 07:12AM) (new)

Carrie | 296 comments I just finished Getting Rid Of Bradley. I'd read it in print but decided to try the audio when it went on sale recently. It was just the thing I was in the mood for, light and fun.

I think I'm going to listen to These Old Shades. I read it years ago, but haven't listened to the audio. I recently listened to The Black Moth. I mentioned that I was left wishing the villain would get his own story, and my daughter pointed the similarities between the Duke of Avalon of The Black Moth and the Duke of Avon of These Old Shades. Maybe Heyer did write the Duke's story after a fashion. ;-)

message 50: by Vikisha (last edited Nov 25, 2011 05:08PM) (new)

Vikisha (lafemmetopaz) | 20 comments I've listening to so far this month.

Bad Boys Do Bad Boys Do (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #2) by Victoria Dahl Bad Boys Do by Victoria Dahl.

I love Victoria Dahl's books. This is the 2nd book in the Donovan Brother series. I can't wait to listen to Real Men WillReal Men Will Real Men Will (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #3) by Victoria Dahl

I listened to earlier in the month,
Bossman's Baby Scandal. I enjoyed it, good modern romance story.

I'm listening to
Where Dreams Begin Where Dreams Begin  by Lisa Kleypas

« previous 1