Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Episode 153 - Dog Books

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth☮ (last edited Nov 02, 2011 01:06PM) (new)

Elizabeth☮ i liked the books talked about on the podcast. i wanted to make a space here for any other noteworthy dog books.

please post suggestions.

thanks ann and michael for this podcast. i have five dogs (our sixth died last christmas) and i do find that it does entail quite a bit of research to understand why my dogs do what they do.

message 2: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I am looking forward to this podcast, I am hoping to listen to it tomorrow. I also can't WAIT to hear about more dog book suggestions. I'll be back to post a few.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kjsmulvihill) | 17 comments Hello, thank you for sharing books about dogs! My mother is an avid fan of the Andy Carpenter series. She says that she enjoys them because the dog is like one of the characters. The stories are about other things, yet the presence of the dog gives it a pleasant feeling without the fear of the dog dying of old age at the end!

On that note, when you recommended Dog Years: A Memoir by Mark Doty, you warned that this book is very sad. Is it sad because of what the humans are going through, or is this another great book with a dog in it where the dog is going to die at the end? I would like to find out so that I can recommend it to my mother. She doesn't mind people dying, but a dog's death in a work of fiction or nonfiction really depresses her. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

message 4: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ the dog does die. he gets old and is weary and a choice is made by the author and his partner. it is a beautifully written book with passages that are so poetic in nature that it's difficult to put the book down. i can't think of too many books with a dog that doesn't require the dog to die. i hope that helps!

i am interested in the andy carpenter series now.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Kjsmulvihill wrote: "Hello, thank you for sharing books about dogs! My mother is an avid fan of the Andy Carpenter series. She says that she enjoys them because the dog is like one of the characters. The stories are ab..."

I think your mom would enjoy those Chet and Bernie books then because Chet (the dog) is the narrator. He is one of the characters and he doesn't die. Here is a link to Spencer Quinn's blog if you want to try a little before you buy.
http://www.chetthedog.com/tag/chet-an...

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
Watchers by Dean Koontz
Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck

message 7: by Tasha (new)

Tasha A fun podcast, thanks!!

I have two book recs but they relate to dogs and the military.

From Baghdad, With Love A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava by Jay Kopelman and One Dog at a Time Saving the Strays of Afghanistan by Pen Farthing . If you love dogs, and appreciate rescue stories, these are two to check out.

I recently went to an author event to hear Terri Crisp speak on her new book No Buddy Left Behind Bringing U.S. Troop's Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone by Terri Crisp . I have yet to read it but I will.

I loved the book recs on the podcast and plan to read a few of those mentioned.

message 8: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ an author that writes about life with his compaions a lot is Jon Katz. i've read a few of his books and they are all thoughtful.

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I've seen his books but have never read them. I've also wondered how they were, thanks for the rec.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 56 comments Another dog book I haven't seen mentioned but that I absolutely loved and, by the way, is narrated by a dog is The Art of Racing in the Rain Enzo is my hero, with more humanity than some humans. He shows us what it is to be human teaching lessons in humility and hope along the way.

message 11: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ great suggestion andrea. i've not read this one, but i've wanted to read it for some time.

message 12: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 56 comments Eric, your wisdom leaves me in awe and feeling somewhat inadequate I'm so many levels. You are truly the Sage of Goodreads and BOTNS. :-)

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 56 comments Oops! On so many levels. See what I mean?

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I can't take credit for that. I think it's a Groucho quote. One of my favorites, though.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 552 comments Mod
Though I don't have dogs of my own, I have read many books featuring dogs over the years. This was a fun podcast and I've picked up some new suggestions.

I really like the Spencer Quinn books and The Art of Racing in the Rain is one of my all-time favorites.

Often times I find myself needing a book for either children or adults dealing with the loss of their beloved dogs. One that I have given several times is Maya's first rose: diary of a very special love

Look forward to a podcast about cats.

message 17: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 806 comments Has anyone mentioned Rin Tin Tin The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean .This book has gotten mentioned on several podcasts and book reviews.Ger

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Present-day dogs live too well to make good fiction. I prefer tales from an earlier time, e.g. Beautiful Joe by Marshall Saunders, The Bar Sinister by Richard Harding Davis, and Call of the Wild by Jack London.

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2752 comments Mod
Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

message 20: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Linda wrote: "Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan"

I never read the book because the movie made me cry so hard. We had an older dog at the time and I just kept thinking how close I was to dealing with the same issue. Now that it's been over a year that he has passed, maybe one of these days I'll get to the book.

message 21: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ @ tasha,

there is a follow up book to From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava.

it's called From Baghdad to America (Library Edition): Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava. it's what happens once kopelman is stateside. also an interesting look at how the military are treated post war.

message 22: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Gerald wrote: "Has anyone mentioned Rin Tin Tin The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean.This book has gotten mentioned on several podcasts and book reviews.Ger"

this one looks good. and a good author too.

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2752 comments Mod
Tasha wrote: "Linda wrote: "Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan"

I never read the book because the movie made me cry so hard. We had an older dog at the time and I just kept ..."

Even though the book had me sobbing at the end, the rest of the book was worth it.

Sadly, we are biding time with our 15-1/2 year old "baby" We know she is getting thinner and older and just wondering how long we will all hold on.

message 24: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ linda,

we are doing the same with our fourteen year old dog, jaco. his dog partner, riley, died last christmas and ever since then his health has declined and his spirits low. he barely gets up anymore unless he thinks you might have food. also, he doesn't want to stay in the backyard alone. he and riley spent their time out there and now all jaco does is bark until you let him in again.

it is difficult to make peace with a dog's end. we know we are going to have to make a choice at some point for jaco to be comfortable and when his quality of life worsens. it's not easy though.

message 25: by Tasha (new)

Tasha My thoughts are with both of you. It is SO hard to watch your "baby" get old and you know it is just a matter of time.

Elizabeth, thanks for the rec. I added it to my tbr. I read your review and I know what you mean about his writing style. It really is pretty bad but the story is what kept me going with the first one.

message 26: by Normandy (new)

Normandy (bookwitch69) Thor Thor by David Douglas Duncan This was a childhood favorite. It has been awhile since I read it but I think this is where my love of German Shepherds started.

We recently lost our German Shepherd mix - Her name was Zoe and she lived almost 16 years to the day she was born. She was our first "baby" and we miss her everyday.

message 27: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Normie, wow! That book looks fantastic!! I LOVE shepherds and we lost ours 2 summers ago at 15-16 years old too. We are finally ready for another shepherd and have started looking. I will definitely going to get my hands on that book: Thor by David Douglas Duncan

message 28: by Jana (new)

Jana (jazziegirl2010) | 309 comments I don't think anyone has mentioned My Dog Tulip yet?My Dog Tulip If not,it should be on the list. True story, written in 1956. Check out the movie trailer because it's great (though I haven't seen it, only read the book): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-CEDs...

I confess I shed tears reading back through the posts above because one thing is for sure, dogs do not live long enough! My sweet buddy, Jazzie, turned 11 years old this week. She makes every day a good day around our house. Hopefully for years to come...

message 29: by Tasha (new)

Tasha @Jana, My Dog Tulip sounds great! I put a hold for it in my library. We lost a shepherd 2 years ago and we are in the process of adopting a retired working dog (shepherd) this weekend coming in from Iraq.

message 30: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I started Finding Jack A Novel by Gareth Crocker .

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 187 comments I can't believe no one has mentioned Sounder by William H. Armstrong . I read that book over and over when I was a kid. I should pick it up again.

message 32: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ oh yes! i love this book Dawn. in fact, i still have my copy from when i was a kid. i plan on reading it with my daughter.