Indie Book Club discussion

Writer's Corner > Kindlegraph?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
I was looking around at various author sites and saw that a few of them were promoting "signed" Kindle copies from Kindlegraph.

Has anyone used this service? I found a couple authors I like and requested signatures, but no responses yet so I am just wondering about it from the writer's perspective.

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Quinn (eqknowles) Well, it's odd that the signatures don't attach to book copies. Instead of getting a signed copy of a book, your getting an autograph. Well, why the heck not!

message 3: by Dean (new)

Dean (writerdean) | 4 comments Hi, Scott.

I signed up for Kindlegraph a couple of weeks ago. From an author's perspective, you get an e-mail letting you know you've got a request, you sign in and type up a brief blurb and hit submit...

Hope that helps.

Dean

message 4: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I actually got my first Kindlegraphs today. It is an interesting concept, but having separate PDF files seems a bit difficult. I wish there was a way to include them into the actual kindle copy of the book. I will still most likely be collecting them from the authors I deal with regularly though. I'll have to sign up for a couple from you as well Dean. Thanks for the update.

message 5: by Dean (new)

Dean (writerdean) | 4 comments Hey, Scott. Glad to be able to have the help go the other way for a change :)

I just finished Kindlegraphing both Frozen Prospects and Thawed Fortunes, and I added Torn to my list of books they had on file as well so you can go back for a third Kindlegraph if you want.

Dean

message 6: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Dean -

Are there any advantages for doing one of these kindlegraph things? I hadn't heard of this until Scott wrote this post.

Just wondering if this is worth doing.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Galford (galfordc) | 30 comments Curious little thing - but I suppose if there's a demand for such a thing, than alright. Like Jeffrey, this is the first I'm hearing of the service. Seems like an interesting enough gimmick though.

message 8: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I now have 8 book covers "signed" using Kindlegraph. Honestly I'm not sure if it would sway me one way or the other about a purchase, but if it is not difficult to register as an author it's a little extra piece of marketing.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Provost (parthalan) | 23 comments While I was at Readercon a few people asked me if my work was available on Kindle, and they were quite interested in Kindlegraphs. It seems to be something readers desire.

message 10: by Dean (new)

Dean (writerdean) | 4 comments Registering is super easy. So far it isn't altering the course of the world for me, but I like knowing there is one more way for me to connect more strongly with fans.

message 11: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Hmmm, will have to check it out and see what it'll take to sign up for an account and what exactly it entails. Doesn't look too difficult. :)

message 12: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Just requested kindlegraphs from Lindsay Buroker Jeff. I was pretty excited to see her on there.

message 13: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Interesting. How exactly do you request a Kindlegraph? Is there something you do from the Kindle or the Kindle app?

I definitely am gonna have to sign up for this thing.

message 14: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Hmmmm, do you have to have a Twitter account to sign up? I hope not, 'cause I don't have one.

Still trying...

message 15: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

You can always make one and never use it. It doesn't require anything other than the login from twitter.

message 16: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

True. I'm debating. I'm seriously anti-Twitter and anti-Facebook.

**tapping fingers**

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris Galford (galfordc) | 30 comments Odd that they would have it only accessible through Twitter. Is it twitter-owned as opposed to Kindle-owned? C'est la vie, in the end, just curious.

message 18: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Good question. I poked and prodded like crazy looking for some other way to sign up for this Kindlegraph thingamajig w/o having a Twitter account. Haven't found anything yet. Weird. They must be owned by the same people.

message 19: by Sean (new)

Sean McLachlan | 68 comments I don't really see the point of Kindlegraph, but that's just me. I've never cared for signed editions. I'd rather talk to the author than have her scribble something on the flyleaf. I've been known to stand in line at conventions just to chat with an author for a minute or two. They always seem pleasantly surprised when i don't ask for an autograph.
When my book comes out, perhaps I'll offer a postcard to anyone who wants an autograph. they can send me their mailing address and I'll send them a card! I'm a big postcard fan and a member of Postcrossing.

Sean McLachlan
civilwarhorror.blogspot.com

message 20: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I still haven't found a way to sign up w/o creating a Twitter account. *sigh* I was curious to learn more about this kindlegraph thingamajig, but I have to ask myself how much I truly hate Twitter. I hate it a lot. :)

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris Galford (galfordc) | 30 comments Sean wrote: "I don't really see the point of Kindlegraph, but that's just me. I've never cared for signed editions. I'd rather talk to the author than have her scribble something on the flyleaf. I've been known..."

Fair enough. I know I'd always appreciate a chat more than a signature - though there's so much hype around getting that scribble, I think that has more to do with it than anything. People like something "physical" for going through the lines and whatnot I suppose.

And I like this postcard idea. Although I think I'd get silly with it. "Writers' greetings from the world over..."

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris Galford (galfordc) | 30 comments Jeffrey wrote: "I still haven't found a way to sign up w/o creating a Twitter account. *sigh* I was curious to learn more about this kindlegraph thingamajig, but I have to ask myself how much I truly hate Twitte..."

How much rage do you feel?...in 140 characters ;)

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 20 comments Yeah I use Kindlegraph - I would prefer the pages to be inserted into the file - but it's better than nothing at the moment.

message 24: by Joana (new)

Joana (sweetmello7) | 35 comments Wow...I didn't even know about Kindlegraph. I guess it's something I should look into. This forum is really informative.

message 25: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Joana - if you can set up an account without Facebook or twitter, please let me know! I don't have either and refuse to sign up for either. :)

Big J

message 26: by Joana (new)

Joana (sweetmello7) | 35 comments Jeffrey wrote: "Joana - if you can set up an account without Facebook or twitter, please let me know! I don't have either and refuse to sign up for either. :)

Big J"

lol well, I have two twitter accounts and a facebook account, so it wasn't a problem for me to sign up. But yeah, the first thing I saw on the page was....sign up with twitter.

I'm curious though...why no twitter or facebook? They can be good for marketing.

message 27: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

True, it is good for marketing & publicity, but I can't stand either one. I am seriously anti-social networking. My life just isn't interesting enough where I need to let people know what I'm always doing.

Big J

message 28: by Joana (new)

Joana (sweetmello7) | 35 comments Understood. I'm a bit of a geek and I work in the IT industry, so I sorta live in front of a computer (which is why self-pubbing an ebook made perfect sense for me), social networking for me is like a coffee break. :)

Jeffrey wrote: "True, it is good for marketing & publicity, but I can't stand either one. I am seriously anti-social networking. My life just isn't interesting enough where I need to let people know what I'm alw..."

message 29: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Joana - you're in the IT field? Awesome! I'm actually a freelance Microsoft certified tech. I've set up numerous Facebook accounts and a few Twitter accounts for my clients. I'd say 90% of the clients I set up on Facebook have me go back and kill the account 'cause they think it's too intrusive.

Big J

message 30: by Joana (new)

Joana (sweetmello7) | 35 comments Yay! another techie in the mix. Working on MCITP myself. I'm sure I'd be done by now if I didn't keep getting new book ideas :)

Jeffrey wrote: "Joana - you're in the IT field? Awesome! I'm actually a freelance Microsoft certified tech. I've set up numerous Facebook accounts and a few Twitter accounts for my clients. I'd say 90% of the..."

message 31: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia Pergakis (avpergakis) | 1 comments I found a place that let's the autograph and personalized message be IN the book.

http://www.autography.com/index.php

I haven't checked it out fully yet, so I'm not sure exactly how it works. But, I think it's worth checking out especially for those that publish exclusively to e-book formats.