Basically Books! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Former Group Read Suggestions > January Group Read Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Harmonie (new)

Harmonie (moondawn) | 7 comments This is a non-fiction book that I read last month and found incredibly enlightening. It is called:

Wired For War: The Robotics Revolution and Conflict in the 21rst Century by P.W Singer.

Check this link out if you want to find out more:

http://wiredforwar.pwsinger.com/

message 3: by Jessi (new)

message 4: by Lara Ruark (new)

Lara Ruark i just finished The Gargoyle and it's seriously one of the best books i've read in a long, long time.....

if we don't do it for a group read, the read it on your own! wow.....is all i can say about it.

message 5: by Char (new)

Char (CharmaineElaine) Jessi wrote: "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs"

This was suggested for November. I believe we're waiting for the price to lower.

message 6: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I know this is a bit of a random suggestion but how about Titus Groan (Gormenghast Trilogy, #1) by Mervyn Peake It's the first of his 3 that make up the original Gormenghast novels (with the 4th having been left incomplete as drafts after he fell ill but I believe his wife made moves to have it written up and published and eventually his granddaughter found Maeve's works and it finally was published under 'Titus Awakes')

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Bookworm5) | 34 comments I am backing Lara on this one, Andrew Davidson's "The Gargoyle" is amazing! Not usually in the habit of re-reading books but I definitely will again at some point.

message 8: by Hayley (last edited Nov 06, 2011 05:11AM) (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Jessica wrote: "I am backing Lara on this one, Andrew Davidson's "The Gargoyle" is amazing! Not usually in the habit of re-reading books but I definitely will again at some point."

That'd be difficult for you seeing as if it's chosen I'm going ninja, sneaking into your flat and running off with your copy ;P

That book is starting to entice me now with so many people raving about it :S

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Bookworm5) | 34 comments I think at this point it's best to establish to everyone else in this group that Hayley and I are sisters. Ninja stealing book nutter is not her full time job.
I will happily lend you the book if you ask nicely but not if you feebly attempt to trash my flat :)

message 10: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Jessica wrote: "I think at this point it's best to establish to everyone else in this group that Hayley and I are sisters. Ninja stealing book nutter is not her full time job.
I will happily lend you the book if..."

Yes, I only ninja steal books from people I know... she's fair game and an easy target.
I also resent that you think my trashing attempts would be feeble - I'm well trained in that art :P

Okay, second vote (after my original Gormenghast one) is definitely for Gargoyle :D

message 11: by Char (new)

Char (CharmaineElaine) LOL! Jessica & Hayley, I'll ninja anyone's books. I don't really care. I am a book goblin!!! (I have a goblin obsession right now, bear with me on this.)

I'm not gonna make my suggesation yet (because I haven't checked my books) but I will in a week or two. I've been busy. :)

message 12: by Varian Rose (last edited Nov 06, 2011 07:46AM) (new)

Varian Rose The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss

message 13: by Char (new)

Char (CharmaineElaine) Rose wrote: "The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss"

Rose they were suggestions for December so they won't be included.

message 14: by Jeshu (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Char wrote: "Rose wrote: "The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss"

Rose they were suggestions for December so they won't be included."

ÇThe name of the wind wasn't a suggestion! The suggestion was the shadow of the wind... similar, but different XD

message 15: by Char (last edited Nov 06, 2011 09:38AM) (new)

Char (CharmaineElaine) Fair enough. In that case I apologise, my bad. I'm sure I've seen that book before though. I'm gonna go root around and see if I'm going mad.

***EDIT*** My mum has it on her TBR. That's where I've seen it. Sorry Rose!!!

message 16: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
The Name of the Wind is a very popular fantasy title right now, supposedly one of the best débuts in years. :) I've actually got it. I will read it before the second book comes out in paperback!

Someone suggested Wither for December but the (cheaper) paperback doesn't come out until towards the end of the month so I'm going to suggest that we move it forwards to a January suggestion instead.

I'll check my own books later.

message 17: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) @Jeshu & Char - Think there's just too much 'Wind' going round at the moment - even I was confused :S I think I've read Name of the Wind... can't remember now, oops :O

message 18: by Varian Rose (new)

Varian Rose *looks back at list*

I didn't see The Thirteenth Tale on there, sorry!

message 19: by Cynjit (new)

Cynjit | 33 comments How about The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa . Started reading it...it's good.

message 20: by Voula (new)

Voula  (otl1987) (otl1987) Ok, since it's the one I ordered a few days ago and it's the next I wanna read, I'm suggesting In the Garden of Iden...

But, if we have to stick to the list, I would have to chose Eragon

message 21: by Jeshu (last edited Nov 13, 2011 02:20PM) (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Otl1987 wrote: "Ok, since it's the one I ordered a few days ago and it's the next I wanna read, I'm suggesting In the Garden of Iden...

But, if we have to stick to the list, I would have to chose [b..."

don't stick to the list!!! we put it there to avoid people suggesting the same books that were suggested last month XD

message 22: by Voula (new)

Voula  (otl1987) (otl1987) Jeshu wrote: "don't stick to the list!!! we put it there to avoid people suggesting the same books that were suggested last month XD
"

Ok, I just need to learn how stuff works around here! :)

By the way, "Room" should be a read-of-a-day book, not for a whole month! I started it this afternoon, I'm already half-way throu and I think I'm gong to finish it tonight as well. And to think that in 7 hours I have to get to work! Breathtaking book!

message 23: by Rina (new)

Rina (karinaskoglund) The Perks of Being a Wallflower or Norwegian Wood

I've read norwegian wood before but I want to read it again.

message 24: by Rina (new)

Rina (karinaskoglund) Oh, and also maybe Night Watch could be taken up to consideration? I've always wanted to read it, but Russian authors daunt me.

message 25: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
The Night Watch is very good :) Lukyanenko is nothing like, say Tolstoy. It's easily readable though a bit confusing at first until you get the mechanics of the world explained. The only problem I had with it was frequent use of song lyrics that I didn't feel translated very well into the English version.

message 26: by Char (new)

Char (CharmaineElaine) Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite (The other books that are nearing the top of my TBR I've either already suggested or won't interest the group. I'll go digging a bit deeper later.)

message 27: by Amy *Waitforit* (new)

Amy *Waitforit* | 16 comments I'd love to read Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon as I have been meaning to read it for a while and it has been sitting on my bookshelf waving at me =) or maybe Sacrifice by S.J. Bolton for the same reason. It may give me the push I need to read them :P

message 28: by Lara Ruark (new)

Lara Ruark i'm getting interested in how many people are liking The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa , i'd read that.....

message 29: by Nas (new)

Nas  | 12 comments divergent?
i read it and with out a dout loved every second of it.
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

message 30: by Lara Ruark (new)

Lara Ruark daydreamer wrote: "divergent?
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth"

i read that one too and it's a good one! i can see it fitting in with the group's taste in books......

message 31: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
There's a cheaper version of Divergent coming out in... February? It's the difference between five quid and eight quid (approx 8 and 12 US dollars off the top of my head) so it might be better to save Divergent for the March read. I agree it was good, though so definitely worth nominating!

message 32: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
I've been through my books and I'm going to suggest a dystopian too: Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

message 33: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Miles | 23 comments I've just won a copy of crimson china - it's looking good

message 34: by Char (new)

Char (CharmaineElaine) Andrea wrote: "I've just won a copy of crimson china - it's looking good"

Can you add a link to the book using the "add book/author" tool please.

message 35: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (ldglns) | 23 comments Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

can i suggest this? I'd like to read it with the group as I read The Night Circus and was completely upset and lost!

message 36: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (ldglns) | 23 comments daydreamer wrote: "divergent?
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth"

This was a really good book and a fast read. I liked it and am looking forward to the sequel.

message 37: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Daughter of Smoke and Bone is only available in hardback right now so it's on the expensive side (10 quid / 13 euros / 20 dollars - though I realise it has been on offer on Amazon.com recently for only 10 dollars) and does not yet have a paperback release date.

However, the book has received quite a bit of interest and as I have the book coming to me, I'm happy to set it up as a buddy read.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.