Women's Fiction discussion

Introductions Please

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (last edited Nov 02, 2011 11:09AM) (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) Introductions Please, I'll start.
Hi everyone I'm a newbie. My name is Alice and I've been a goodreads member since 2010. Thanks for the invite Deborah. Not sure if I belong here..most of what I read these days appeals more to women than men but also fall solidly in other categories..Urban Fantasy, PNR etc. I think the Stephanie Plum series (love it) fits in here. We'll see how we work out.

Thanks
Alice
people who read books never have to go to bed alone ;-P
a-nony-moose

message 2: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Campbell (adriennecampbell) | 2 comments Hello all! I'm a newbie to Goodreads and this group. Thanks Deborah for inviting me as well. I'm a fan of so many categories including Women's Fiction. I'm a huge fan of book series and psychological thrillers/mysteries. But even then I do like the suggestion of romance.
I have read thousands of books, many I cannot remember due to brain injuries a few years ago. I recently found a box of paperbacks and could not remember having read most of them so I read them again! What fun it was!!

I must also admit Deborah Ledford is one of my new favorite authors and I'm so glad to have met her here on Goodreads.

I read myself to sleep every night as I'm sure many of us do.
Happy reading and sweet dreams!
Adrienne

message 3: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Gerardo (carolinegerardo) | 1 comments Thank you SL for inviting me. I think of myself as a woman author writing women's contemporary fiction. What do I define that to mean? I'm writing about myself and my time.
I don't see Women's fiction as limited to romance, beauty and frills I believe we connect to many genres and styles.

message 4: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Mitchell | 2 comments Thanks SL for the invitation. My name is Joyce and I've been a Goodreads member since May 2011 and still trying to figure out what to do! Not computer-savvy at all, but I'll get there. I'm a huge fan of thriller/mysteries.

After my mother-in-law passed (Lou Gehrigs), I decided with the extra time on my hands that it was time to write my story of growing up-father banned from our county, how the family escaped the Rock Store rebel.
A nice gentleman in our book club says it's a book for women only.

When writing, I love it when my "imagination" flies!
Happy Reading to You All!!!

message 5: by Darian (new)

Darian Wilk | 5 comments Thanks SL for the invitation. My name is Darian, I'm an author of women's fiction, and avid reader of all genres but of course, women's fiction is my favorite.

Back in 2009 while my mom was on Hospice due to ovarian cancer, hearing the things she always wanted to do in life but never got the chance to (she was only 52 when she passed), I decided to pursue my dream of writing. I started Love Unfinished that year, and now I'm on my second novel. It's because of women like her that I think the women's fiction genre has so much to offer.

message 6: by SL (new)

SL Clark (heartpress) Alice, this is *great*, thank you.

Hello everyone, my name is Steve and I'm the publisher at Heart Press. I started our little company believing Women's Fiction is important, vital and sad to say, has been obscured by design.

The powerful voice women have is amplified when shared with others. Be it a friendly chat over a cup of tea or coffee, to the collective focus a large conference can achieve. I started this Goodreads Group out of *frustration* and a desire to "do" something about it, now.

All the best,
-Steve

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Thanks for starting the group, Steve!

I'm Laura, and I love women's fiction. (And everyone has to say, "Hi, Laura, we're glad you're here!") And I also write women's fiction. I'm querying agents for my first novel and gearing up to re-write the first draft of my second one.

I'm excited to meet all of you!

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele Shriver | 2 comments Glad there's a group for this. I'm an avid reader and writer (just released my first novel) of women's fiction. I think sometimes the genre can be hard to define, and also carries a stigma with some, as if women's fiction is somehow inferior to other fiction.

I just know I'm a woman and I like to read books about women and their lives, romantic and otherwise, and that's what I write, too!

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) "Hi, Laura, I'm glad you're here!" ;D

message 10: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Barnes (rubybarnes) | 1 comments Thanks for the invite, Steve. I'm a male author and reader based in Kilkenny, Ireland.
My reading tastes tend towards women's literary fiction (I do the odd review on my blog).
This week I launched my second novel and, if the first is anything to go by, the readership will be strongly female. I'm still trying to work it out!
Cheers
Ruby

message 11: by AWBookGirl (new)

AWBookGirl (thebookfetish) | 3 comments Hi,
I'm Ashley. I've been around goodreads for a while, although I don't visit it as much as I should. Steve, thanks for the invite to the group.

I read a little bit of everything, including what is generally classified as women's fiction, although I am on a bit of a non-fiction kick right now.

I'm looking forward to interacting with all of you.

-Ashley

message 12: by Kian (new)

Kian | 2 comments I am new to the group . I am an avid reader like many genres as well. I am currently hooked on a few female authors . M . J Rose, Melissa Foster, Kathleen Shoop , geraldine Solon, Patricia Sands,Kaira Rhouda, well there is more but I did not realize till typing how many I have found this year. Lol Go Ladies!:)
I recently finishes Here, Home, Hope and the Halo Effect now I am starting Come Back To Me. Then I have to really decide what to read next. Great to b here:)

message 13: by Chandra (new)

Chandra (chandragay) | 2 comments I am such a Historical / Paranormal Romance junk-ee-ee-ee. I read in accordance with (2)"V's" and (1) double "V"; Vampire, Viking, Werewolf.
and
Scottish Highlanders can play under my kilt 24/7

In real life, I am a history buff. Love European history.

message 14: by Terrie (new)

Terrie McClay | 3 comments Thank you SL for the invitation. I am a new author of historical fiction/romance. I published my first novel, Wind in the Grasses Dancing in 2010. My second novel, Whispers from the South will be available in December. I love to read. Though I enjoy many genres, historical fiction is my favorite, especially Native american and Scottish.

Thank you again for the invitation.
Terrie McClay

message 15: by AWBookGirl (new)

AWBookGirl (thebookfetish) | 3 comments Terrie, I'll definitely check out your works. My family has both a Native American and Scottish heritage.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie Lindsey (julieannelindsey) | 4 comments I'm Julie, new to womens fiction. Hoping to find a group who can guide me. Discovering a new genre is daunting! I'm glad this group is smallish. Maybe I can make some GR friends :)

message 17: by Terrie (new)

Terrie McClay | 3 comments Thanks,Ashley. I've been told that my novel is definitely women's fiction. Looking forward to getting to know you.

message 18: by Terrie (new)

Terrie McClay | 3 comments Welcome, Julie. I'm new to this group, too. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

message 19: by Chandra (new)

Chandra (chandragay) | 2 comments Terrie, I am trying to find more Native American historical romance fiction. Do you have any "titles" of books that you might suggest?

message 20: by AWBookGirl (new)

AWBookGirl (thebookfetish) | 3 comments Julie wrote: "I'm Julie, new to womens fiction. Hoping to find a group who can guide me. Discovering a new genre is daunting! I'm glad this group is smallish. Maybe I can make some GR friends :)"

Hey Julie, Our virtual paths keep crossing. Glad to have you here!

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie Lindsey (julieannelindsey) | 4 comments Ashley wrote: "Julie wrote: "I'm Julie, new to womens fiction. Hoping to find a group who can guide me. Discovering a new genre is daunting! I'm glad this group is smallish. Maybe I can make some GR friends :)"
..."

LOVE when this happens :) *waving from Ohio*

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie Lindsey (julieannelindsey) | 4 comments Terrie wrote: "Welcome, Julie. I'm new to this group, too. Looking forward to hearing more from you."

Nice to meet you Terri! Glad to have found this group :)

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Coles | 2 comments I'm Rachel Coles. I'm new to the discussion group thing in general. I mostly love urban fantasy, science fiction and horror. And it's refreshing when it's told from a female perspective. I loved Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis. If you like science fiction and women's lit, you will love her books. That's a combination you don't often see. I don't know why.

message 24: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) hi rachel, thanks for the Xenogenesis rec..it's on my tbr list

message 25: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Lynn Sletten (dsletten) | 2 comments Hello - I'm Deanna and I am an avid reader of women's fiction as well as a writer in the same genre. I love stories that show life as it really is for women, that are filled with interesting characters and even people you love-to-hate. I look forward to reading and participating in discussions in this group.

message 26: by Meg (new)

Meg Donohue (megdonohue) | 2 comments Hello! My name is Meg Donohue and my first novel, How to Eat a Cupcake, pubs 3/13/12. HarperCollins is running a giveaway to promote it right now on Goodreads -- hope you'll check it out: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...
Publishers Weekly calls HOW TO EAT A CUPCAKE, "[A] culinary romantic thriller that will keep readers hungry for more."
Kirkus says: "A little friendship, a little wit and a little mystery make for a charming debut about two old friends reconciled after starting a cupcakery.... Donohue has written a sharp little novel featuring the subtle characterizations of two appealingly flawed young women."
I hope you'll check it out and let me know what you think! Find me on Twitter @megdonohue, on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Meg-Don...), or my website: www.megdonohue.com
Happy reading! I look forward to discussing women's fiction with you all.
-Meg Donohue