Q&A with Richard Lee Byers discussion

Welcome and intros

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Byers (rleebyers) | 304 comments Mod
Hi, everyone. I'm Richard Lee Byers, author of various things including my new post-apocalyptic superhero series The Impostor and various Forgotten Realms novel. This is a thread for those joining the group to introduce themselves.

message 2: by Doppelganger (new)

Doppelganger | 5 comments Hello! I have already replied to one one of your posts, but though I would introduce myself here nonetheless. I am Jason R. Wells, a digital artist and resident of the Tampa Bay, FL area. I don't know if you recall Mr. Byers, but we met at your fencing academy and you signed my hard cover copy of Dissolution! I still have it featured on my bookshelf to this day. I have always been a fan of fantasy/fiction, as well as sci-fi and horror. Sometimes I consider writing something of my own, but I need to get off my rump and actually begin writing. Its one thing to talk about it for two years and another to outline my ideas and actually start typing ;)

I am glad to see your Q&A section here. Its a great way to be connected with the reading community and get some good word of mouth going!

message 3: by Richard (new)

Hi, Jason! I do remember you, and it's great to hear from you again.

Actually making yourself write is the first great hurdle in the process. The way I manage is to schedule time to write and then stick to the schedule religiously. If I didn't do that, I'd never get anything done.

message 4: by Doppelganger (last edited Nov 06, 2011 07:10AM) (new)

Doppelganger | 5 comments I like that idea and should just do it. I may carve out a Thursday evening or Sunday morning spot, designated specifically to outlining some ideas of mine. For some reason my Mom seems to think i'd be good at writing and has encouraged me to do so. Sometimes Mom knows best, or so they say. Thank you for the advice and input!

message 5: by Marco (last edited Jan 09, 2012 12:57PM) (new)

Marco Vadalà | 2 comments Hello! My name's Marco, I'm Italian and currently live in Italy (I live close to Milan). I'm a long-time fantasy geek and old D&D player (I still remember in 1987 when I bought the red box, translated into Italian the previous year!). I'm a translator and, among other things, mine is the translation of 3d Edition FR "Faith & Pantheons" sourcebook into Italian.

I'm just done with Unclean and thought to say hi here. I'm going to read soon Undead, and see what dear, dear old Szass Tam is going to do to all his beloved zulkir colleagues! :-)
Thanks for this Richard, it's a great opportunity for us readers to keep in touch with the authors we like.

I meant to ask you something: I've noticed that most of the "official" characters in Unclean adhere to the descriptions given in the sourcebooks, of course. But what if you'd like to "update" that character's personality or change something in order to fit your own view of the setting? Does WotC give you leave to alter such things, maybe even great events, to the point that maybe they become canonical? Or do editors tend to overrule the author and consequently, for the sake of what's already been published, ask them to change what they have written so far?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

message 6: by Richard (new)

Hi, Marco,

It's good to meet you.

When I use characters who have appeared elsewhere previously (generally in the sourcebooks), I always try to maintain consistency with what's already been established. But I feel free to add new information.

An editor reviews everything I've done. Presumably if something wasn't consistent or if I took the character in a direction that was considered inappropriate, I would be told to change what I'd done. Fortunately, that hasn't happened yet.

My understanding of canon in the Forgotten Realms is that everything that's published is official and should not be disregarded or altered. So I can't just blithely decide that something never happened, and by the same token, no other writer can do the same to something I've established.

Best,

Richard