The Marvelous Land of Oz The Marvelous Land of Oz question

Transgender element
Cassie Cassie Nov 02, 2011 10:49AM
Did anyone else feel that this could be seen as an early American transgender story? I felt that for the time period that this was written in that it was very nice to see a popular author use that element in his story. What did others that read this book feel about that particular element of the story?

I think it was a girls are just as good s boys anything a boy could do a girl could do I feel this is a pro women story

As a trans woman, I can say that there was a total trans feeling to Ozma's story. She was wrongly assigned a male gender at birth and eventually transitioned to her true self. Do I think Baum intended this? Probably not. There's a very slight chance, but I think it's probably just a happy accident. If you want to read a full article that another trans woman wrote on the topic(although she's responding to the Marvel comic adaptation which is a pretty close adaptation) here's a good link: http://comicsalliance.com/marvelous-l...

Basically, there are definitely trans elements, but I can't say for sure that they were intentional.

Xdyj (last edited Jul 27, 2012 08:55PM ) Jul 27, 2012 08:28PM   0 votes
I think Eric means Ozma (cf. http://transsexual.org/oz1.html). Given the time period it was written I doubt the author intended to make a statement on real-life lgbt issue (there's also Dorothy/Ozma subtext in a later book), however lgbt themes and subtexts have been in mythologies/folklore in various cultures since forever so probably he just borrowed these stuff from somewhere. (:

Katie I've never seen any really convincing evidence for the Dorothy/Ozma relationship. They clearly have a strong friendship in the series, and cited passa ...more
Jul 29, 2012 04:06PM · flag
Xdyj Me neither. I only heard of it from some website. IMO both the transgender stuff & the Ozma/Dorothy are revisionist readings.
Jul 30, 2012 06:45AM · flag

When i first read the story of the tranormation into Ozma, along with all the dialogue from Tip's/Ozma's friends. it occured to me to be the story o many transgendered people and their struggle.. and in in some cases, surgical procedures... But i think it has even more of a moral message, that our bodies or are not who we are.. and that being a boy and being a girl are both un.. and that little kids can enjoy being both. as Ozma/Tip does.

Technically, I suppose you could call Ozma transgendered, as Ozma had been turned into a boy, but that's a real stretch. Did Ozma then cease to be transgendered once she was turned back into a girl?

What are the specific transgender elements you saw in the story? It's difficult to discuss them if we aren't sure what specifically you are looking at.

When I read it as a little girl, I just figured Ozma had been saved from a fate worse than death. Maybe LFB thought so too.

I didn't see an transgender issue but more of way to show that even at a young age, boys and girls have assigned gender roles and image. I didn't know if Baum was questioning that or showing that boys and girls should't be pigeonholed into an image.

I think there are interesting elements with the "transformation" of Ozma and also the change of the role of the men and women in the emerald city, however at the end, we can't forget that Baum "tidy" everything. Women go back to cooking and Ozma is told by Glinda that she cannot be a boy again even if she wants to, that she had to be what she is. Also the tin man told her that girls are nicer than boys, so much for gender issues.
So I won't reach so far as saying that Baum wanted to deal with LGBT "issues", but he certainly put interesting seeds in his story.

I think you're reaching pretty far there...unless you can back up your idea with some evidence it sounds like you've got a glass opinion.